macOS Catalina beta hints Apple is building Catalyst versions of Messages and Shortcuts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    shompa said:
    When I heard about Catalyst I joked that Apple would port messages from iOS to macOS since the macOS version does not work. 

Since macOS 10.14 + messages in the cloud. If you sync on macOS = messages on macOS stops to work. "internal error". This is a server side issue that Apple knows about and they are so incompetent that they have not managed to fix this in 10 months. 

People like me pay for iCloud space, and syncing messages on the cloud does not work. Tim simply laughs and take our money and does not care to fix the problem. This is incompetence in the level of Ballmer run MSFT.  Apple is the new Microsoft. From working OS/Hardware to everlasting updates = impossible for a stable os. 

So Tims genius plan to get messages working on macOS is to port the iOS version. 
    How hard is it? Especially when cloud is involved?  Any Mac user with multiple computers/iOS devices have issues with messages. Some messages are not delivered to all computers (usually SMS kind since iOS decides what devices can get SMS). The same user gets many threads / different threads on different computers. Messages are delivered not in sync. Different profile pictures on different computers (and macOS gets this from the Address book. THAT IS SYNCED IN ICLOUD). 

I'm sorry. I have to say it. Apple-Tim is incompetent. For him it's more important to spew political propaganda than getting his stuff to work. Then they blame 30% decline in iPhones sales on "China nationalism". No.. the stuff cost 3times more than under Jobs. The stuff does not work as it did under Jobs and the values that Tim-Apple have is not shared by most people in the world. (The 190 non-western countries are totally different and they actually have the right to different values. 

How the FSCK cant Apple get messages to work? Especially when they have "handover?" How do you manage to get different messages on computers that are constantly syncing via handover?  Heck: Even I can solve this in 20 seconds with a Rsync script that sync the messages from a master computer. Its just text files stored locally and Tim can't solve it.  10000+ users that have this problem and Tim just care about his stuff. "I do not have any problem with 1 device connected with 10Gbps to a local server icloud". Tim needs to go to save Apple. Buy Tesla. Put Musk in charge. Tim is worse than Scully. 
    Ten thousand plus users?

Even if this were true, that’s actually a tiny fraction of Message users. If I were you, I would’ve made up a much larger number. 
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Soli said:
    The future of macOS is blindingly bright.
    But for AppleScript … not so much. 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    For the record, the Messages issues Shompa describes are happening to me, too.

Messages on the desktop frequently appear in the wrong order.

New messages often fail to propagate to some devices. I can have a discussion on my iPad that doesn’t show up on my iPhone.

I’m not nearly as upset about it as Shompa, but thought it worth mentioning that the problems (s)he describes are not unique to him/her.

• Reply 24 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member

New messages often fail to propagate to some devices. I can have a discussion on my iPad that doesn’t show up on my iPhone.

I’m not nearly as upset about it as Shompa, but thought it worth mentioning that the problems (s)he describes are not unique to him/her.
    1) I doubt this includes you, but I've helped countless people with messages not going to all devices by altering what devices they choose to get messages in Settings.

2) I had one issue a few years ago where iMessages addressed to my iCloud phone number would only show up on my iPhone and iMessages addressed to any email address linked to iCloud would only show up on my Mac and iPad. This was not a Settings issue and so I called Apple's tech support and deal with an engineering team. Eventually they had me replace my iPhone. My guess is that iMessage's end-to-end encryption protocols + some bug(s) caused the problem, but a replacement iPhone resolved it. Have you called Apple to see if they can find a solution?

3) There will clearly be users with issues. The service is used far too often by far too many people for it to ever be bug free, but both my experience and trust of the iMessage service, Apple Pay Cash moving between it, and the Messages.app across multiple platforms has been better than any other chat service I've ever used.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Soli said:

1) I doubt this includes you, but I've helped countless people with messages not going to all devices by altering what devices they choose to get messages in Settings.

2) I had one issue a few years ago where iMessages addressed to my iCloud phone number would only show up on my iPhone and iMessages addressed to any email address linked to iCloud would only show up on my Mac and iPad. This was not a Settings issue and so I called Apple's tech support and deal with an engineering team. Eventually they had me replace my iPhone. My guess is that iMessage's end-to-end encryption protocols + some bug(s) caused the problem, but a replacement iPhone resolved it. Have you called Apple to see if they can find a solution?

3) There will clearly be users with issues. The service is used far too often by far too many people for it to ever be bug free, but both my experience and trust of the iMessage service, Apple Pay Cash moving between it, and the Messages.app across multiple platforms has been better than any other chat service I've ever used.
    Thank you for the helpful suggestions.

I don’t think what I’m experiencing is a settings issue because it’s intermittent. If it was a setting it would happen every time. It is possible it could be a hardware issue, but one of the affected devices is out of AppleCare and I’m not bothered enough to go through the inconvenience of a lengthy troubleshooting exercise. I only brought it up because the behaviours are identical to what some seemed to be suggesting may be made up by the OP.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Soli said:

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.

I don’t think what I’m experiencing is a settings issue because it’s intermittent. If it was a setting it would happen every time. It is possible it could be a hardware issue, but one of the affected devices is out of AppleCare and I’m not bothered enough to go through the inconvenience of a lengthy troubleshooting exercise. I only brought it up because the behaviours are identical to what some seemed to be suggesting may be made up by the OP.
    I’m having these problems with iMessage too, not all the time and rarely on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, but my Mac Pro has lots of problems. I also haven’t felt the need to contact Apple. I’m not going to bother them as long as I’m keeping an 11-year-old unsupported Early-2008 Mac Pro in the mix, even though it still works great, except for a couple of glitches in iMessage. The OP’s rant may have crossed a line, but the iMessage issues are real and it hasn’t taken long to identify 3 users that have these issues with iMessage.

It is also true that prices are out of control and I think Apple will continue to increase their prices as long as the market can take it. It’s not like these products are changing so much between iterations that they need to increase prices to cover research and development. There’s a reason they have SO MUCH money in the bank and it’s not because they’re spending so much on R & D.