Japan imposes new trade restrictions on Apple's Korean suppliers

Posted:
in iPhone
Beginning July 4 Japan is imposing new restrictions affecting South Korean tech companies, including key Apple suppliers Samsung and LG, in retaliation for a Korean court ruling finding Nippon Steel must pay for forced Korean labor during World War II.

iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR


The Japanese government is halting preferential treatment for the export of fluorinated polyimide -- used in smartphone displays -- and high-purity hydrogen fluoride, used for etching silicon, said Japan's Sankei, quoted by Reuters. The rules also affect "resist," a thin layer used to transfer circuit patterns to substrates.

Japanese exporters will have to apply for permission each time they want to ship to South Korea, a process that can take 90 days. At the moment Japan is said to produce about 90% of the world's fluorinated polyimide and resist, and 70% of its etching gas.

A resolution of the dispute meanwhile appears distant. The Japanese government insists that the forced labor issue was resolved in 1965, when diplomatic ties with South Korea were restored, and since January, South Korea has reportedly ignored requests for talks.

Samsung and LG are believed to be Apple's main OLED suppliers for iPhones, which could impose a crunch ahead of the launch of 2019 models. In theory Apple could turn to the likes of Japan Display -- in which it's recently thought to have sunk $100 million -- but that firm is used only for iPhone LCDs and Apple Watch OLED panels, since its OLED capacity still lags behind rivals.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 256member
    Our societies have such a destructively entitled and blame-shifting attitude. We need to relearn genuine forgiveness, especially when it applies to actions by previous generations. Nowadays people can’t even have ever said something remotely politically incorrect in their lifetime, otherwise it’ll be dug up and they’ll be ridiculed and attempts to ruin their life will ensue by the ‘tolerant’ left.
    applesnorangeswilliamhravnorodomjony0
  • Reply 2 of 15
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 895member
    Politically correct is dog whistle term meaning "overly sensitive people react to little insults". Unless you are on the other side of the insults you have no idea how little or big they are, how many times those insults have been thrown at a person or a group and the affect they ultimately have on society in general. When someone voices their objection to a comment try listening and learning the reason for it instead of blowing it off as being politically correctness. Education does not end when you get your degree(s).
    p-dogdysamoriaroundaboutnowfastasleepgenovelleMacProCarnagemuthuk_vanalingamjcs2305gatorguy
  • Reply 3 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,043member
    georgie01 said:
    Our societies have such a destructively entitled and blame-shifting attitude. We need to relearn genuine forgiveness, especially when it applies to actions by previous generations. Nowadays people can’t even have ever said something remotely politically incorrect in their lifetime, otherwise it’ll be dug up and they’ll be ridiculed and attempts to ruin their life will ensue by the ‘tolerant’ left.
    Poor fellow... sounds like you’ve made to many posts on Facebook.  Did they show up in a job interview?  Someone is mining that data, regardless of political affiliations.

    War is a nasty business.  I’m not sure why South Korea is focusing on steel, the forced “comfort girl” camps were much worse, China is still pissed...  Humans are vindictive as hell.  In this case, my first guess is someone is manipulating the public for political gain.

    “Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers.” 
    ― George R.R. Martin
    chaickahydrogenp-dogmistertrickpalomine
  • Reply 4 of 15
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 227member
    Forgiveness is only possible in case of sincere repentance.
    dysamoriaravnorodom
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 2,270member
    georgie01 said:
    Our societies have such a destructively entitled and blame-shifting attitude. We need to relearn genuine forgiveness, especially when it applies to actions by previous generations. Nowadays people can’t even have ever said something remotely politically incorrect in their lifetime, otherwise it’ll be dug up and they’ll be ridiculed and attempts to ruin their life will ensue by the ‘tolerant’ left.
    Oh stop. It sounds like you’re projecting your own issues. If you’ve gotten in trouble for bad behavior, then it’s on you. Learn to hold yourself accountable for your own behavior. Learn to understand why your words and actions may be harmful to others.

    It’s actually fairly easy to be careful in how we treat others. If you think kindness to fellow humans is that difficult, please either learn how empathy works (yes, you can learn it) or become a hermit. Complaining about “political correctness” doesn’t excuse a person’s unkind or cruel behavior.

    Besides: Are you Korean or Japanese with family who were involved in the issue presented by this article? If not, you have no place making judgments about the people who are / were involved.
    mistertrickleavingthebiggCarnagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 15
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 397member
    No question this is fake outrage and has everything to do with some current political and financial interests of the moneyed classes.

    Let's accept without dispute that forced labor and massive human rights violations of Korean people occurred at Japan's hands some three generations ago. It's not hard at all to image that some compensation is owned by Japan to Korea for these violations. 

    It's also easy to image a compensation strategy that gives appropriate satisfaction to those harmed while preserving positive relationships between current generations, rather than inventing more enemies. 

  • Reply 7 of 15
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 972member
    larryjw said:
    No question this is fake outrage and has everything to do with some current political and financial interests of the moneyed classes.

    Let's accept without dispute that forced labor and massive human rights violations of Korean people occurred at Japan's hands some three generations ago. It's not hard at all to image that some compensation is owned by Japan to Korea for these violations. 

    It's also easy to image a compensation strategy that gives appropriate satisfaction to those harmed while preserving positive relationships between current generations, rather than inventing more enemies. 

    It sounds to me like Japan is of the belief that this matter was settled decades ago, as a part of the negotiations to reopen trade. It also sounds like Korea has been on the receiving end of preferential treatment regarding exports needed from Japan to grow their electronics businesses. 

    This is yet another country that has acknowledged their atrocities and seemed to make amends. 

    So it can can be done. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 682member
    In other news, short-term and long-term memory loss has been indicated as a side-effect of living too close to North Korea, recent studies suggest. Happily being some distance, away, separated by the Sea of Japan, most ill-effects were identified as being limited to China, South Korea, and far east Russia. Headlines just to hand, Moon just released a statement that he is returning all technology related to the Shinkansen, saying, ‘Thank-you, but no thank-you!’. More details at 11!
    edited July 1
  • Reply 9 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    genovelle said:
    larryjw said:
    No question this is fake outrage and has everything to do with some current political and financial interests of the moneyed classes.

    Let's accept without dispute that forced labor and massive human rights violations of Korean people occurred at Japan's hands some three generations ago. It's not hard at all to image that some compensation is owned by Japan to Korea for these violations. 

    It's also easy to image a compensation strategy that gives appropriate satisfaction to those harmed while preserving positive relationships between current generations, rather than inventing more enemies. 

    It sounds to me like Japan is of the belief that this matter was settled decades ago, as a part of the negotiations to reopen trade. It also sounds like Korea has been on the receiving end of preferential treatment regarding exports needed from Japan to grow their electronics businesses. 

    This is yet another country that has acknowledged their atrocities and seemed to make amends. 

    So it can can be done. 
    Off the main topic I suppose but it amazes me that the Japanese lead in electronics that was severely effected by the rise in South Korea's was apparently enabled by the Japanese.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    BenishogaBenishoga Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    One would not expect anything less from Abe Shinzo the revisionist.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 215member
    spice-boy said Education does not end when you get your degree(s).
    These days many believe education ENDS the day you start your degree. Modern Educayshun

    https://youtu.be/iKcWu0tsiZM

    Education has been replaced with indoctrination. 

    MacPro
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    toysandme said:
    spice-boy said Education does not end when you get your degree(s).
    These days many believe education ENDS the day you start your degree. Modern Educayshun

    https://youtu.be/iKcWu0tsiZM

    Education has been replaced with indoctrination. 

    Sadly not a new phenomenon, religions have been doing this since they were first thought up.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nhtnht Posts: 4,494member
    "The 1,200 pages of documents show that South Korea agreed never to make further compensation demands, either at the government or individual level, after receiving $800 million in grants and soft loans from Japan as compensation for its 1910-45 colonial rule."

    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/2005/01/17/SKorea-discloses-sensitive-documents/UPI-38131105952315/

    "The government has declassified explosive documents relating to the 1965 Korea-Japan Basic Treaty. They show that the government at the time had originally demanded US$364 million in compensation for some 1.03 million Koreans forced into labor or military service during the Japanese occupation."

    http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2005/01/17/2005011761043.html

    Understandable why the Japanese are pissed.  They offered individual compensation...at a time when most of the victims were still alive.  The S. Korean government declined and said they would handle it.  They didn't.  Instead they took the $800M in grant and loans and developed their industries and infrastructure which was generally the smart thing to do.  Reneging on the deal?  Not so much.

    The politics is that Moon Jae-in wants to look tough vs the Japanese.   Which is fine unless Japan gets annoyed enough to retaliate in ways to make SK hurt.  Which is what they are doing because the dollar amounts are relatively small...now it's become the point of the thing.  


    gatorguy
  • Reply 14 of 15
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,097member
    My wife is Japanese Korean (born and raised in Japan, but with Korean citizenship [at the time] as her grandparents went to Japan from Korea before the war — she is a US citizen now).  She thinks that SK is being dumb and reneging — Japan made big payments/loans decades ago in reparations and SK keeps digging up issues to try and pry more out of Japan.  This won’t end well for SK.  
    palomine
  • Reply 15 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 3,108member
    toysandme said:
    spice-boy said Education does not end when you get your degree(s).
    These days many believe education ENDS the day you start your degree. Modern Educayshun

    https://youtu.be/iKcWu0tsiZM

    Education has been replaced with indoctrination. 

    Well, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve watched today. 
Sign In or Register to comment.