Apple CEO Tim Cook rips into 'absurd' Wall Street Journal report on Jony Ive's departure

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    ...lots of speculation...  Is a trusted foil of critical opinion difficult to quantify or understand ? Also I can't imagine the psychic (human) sense of loss and emotions to carry on given the passing of SJ...  Batman and Robin comes to mind (silly I know) and yet...?

Unfortunately from this customer's perspective I've had mixed feelings about the macs I've bought since the 2011 mini that had discrete graphics, 2 standard drive bays, 2 standard ram slots and multiple ports... At the time almost everything about it was an true 'upgrade' - It just worked (and still does :)  although even that design had me disappointed in the lack of a Kensington lock slot. Was this the new Apple?  Would that have been so difficult to add somewhere ?  Aftermarket locking options were a pain in the behind.  This customer would find a lock slot most useful even today...

Indeed I have bought newer mac hardware hoping to 'upgrade', but in the end very regrettably sent it back. The ultimate irony being the only display I could not get working with a loaded 2016 macbook pro was an Apple 27" Cinema Display, despite multiple Apple sales/support opinions that the TB2>TB3 adapter should work. It seemed absurdly illogical. Really? I must buy a new monitor to use with a MBP ?  Who decided to not support the TB3 standard for mDP ?  Intuition in design in my experience is a funny thing, and some people just have it - can one can be excellent at creative thinking or form making, and yet there remains the question of macro judgement ?   Here's to the future and some structural changes, and I hope we are all pleasantly surprised by good things and 'magic' for all ahead...
    Maybe because the Cinema Display doesn’t use Thunderbolt. I use both my 30” Cinema Displays with my 2018 MBP via a $15 miniDP to USB-C adapter. You seem very confused. 
    I assumed he was referring to the Thunderbolt Display, but that still doesn’t make sense. I, too, have a 2016 MacBook Pro, and it drives a pair of Apple Thunderbolt Displays just fine via a TB2-TB3 adapter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 89
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:
    Marc Newson, also leaving Apple, seems to add credence to the WSJ story.
    Mark Newson was never an Apple employee. 

Damn, I have read a lot of dumb comments about this story lately. 
    Me too, yours now included.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/05/apple-hires-designer-marc-newson-will-assist-jony-ive-on-
    He was hired on a special project, helping Jony Ive. He never was an Apple guy, a regular Apple employee (like Arendt for example). It’s a special hire. Translation: he came to help Ive not Apple, so moaning about he isn’t at Apple anymore is weird. 

You’re included as well. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 63 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/05/apple-hires-designer-marc-newson-will-assist-jony-ive-on-
    He was hired on a special project, helping Jony Ive. He never was an Apple guy, a regular Apple employee (like Arendt for example). It’s a special hire. Translation: he came to help Ive not Apple, so moaning about he isn’t at Apple anymore is weird. 

You’re included as well. 
    No one moaned, just commented about credibility.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    crowley said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:

You’re included as well. 
    Post #22
  • Reply 65 of 89
    matrix077 said:
    crowley said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:

You’re included as well. 
    Post #22
    Yes?  That was a comment about the credibility of the story, not a moan.  My point entirely.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    crowley said:
    matrix077 said:
    crowley said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:

You’re included as well. 
    Post #22
    Yes?  That was a comment about the credibility of the story, not a moan.  My point entirely.

I didn’t use “moan” here literally. It’s a figure of speech. 

Yesterday people moaned about Tim Cook didn’t visit Ive studio enough. Today, despite Cook’s calling it “absurd”, this guy still think Apple doesn’t care about design because a guy who never actually in - half in at most - had been out. That’s even dumber than the moans yesterday. Congratulations. 

Apple today may or may not care about design as much as when Jobs was but Mark Newson will never be an indicator for Apple.

• Reply 67 of 89
    matrix077 said:
    crowley said:
    matrix077 said:
    crowley said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:

You’re included as well. 
    Post #22

I didn’t use “moan” here literally. It’s a figure of speech. 

Yesterday people moaned about Tim Cook didn’t visit Ive studio enough. Today, despite Cook’s calling it “absurd”, this guy still think Apple doesn’t care about design because a guy who never actually in - half in at most - had been out. That’s even dumber than the moans yesterday. Congratulations. 

Apple today may or may not care about design as much as when Jobs was but Mark Newson will never be an indicator for Apple.

You explicitly, and in an unprovoked statement used the word "moan", which now you seem to be backtracking to mean "mention".  Using unambiguously the wrong word is not a recognisable "figure of speech".

No-one said it was a 100% convincing attestation to the credibility of the story, it was presented as just a bit of extra flavour.  I suggest you calm down about the whole thing and stop sniping at people.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 68 of 89
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    As I said before this was a hit piece when I first read it. 

Our media are so intellectually dishonest these days. They wait to believe something is true base on their own feelings, facts no longer matter. In this case they want to believe Cook lack any ability to understand design when you look at Steve who agonized over every aspect of a design to his own detriment as we have all see (rounder corners). The media only sees Cook as operations guy verses Ives being a design person and the two can not get along. Today the media approaches things from their feels and how they feel about something topic independent of any facts.  

I was told in the past the media would approach things from their feeling, however they would at least back it with as many facts as possible. In today's media with live in Adam Savage's world of I reject your reality and substitute their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 69 of 89
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,139member
    JinTech said:
    Good on Cook for setting the record straight!
    Respectfully, Tim did not set the record straight. He said the story was wrong but did not refute specific claims, so I would say he is taking a stand against purportedly false reporting. Setting the record straight involves providing facts, which are absent in this case thus far.
    Having not read the story, and so feeling entitled to speak out of my backside on the matter, I'm reminded of an old "debate" guideline: "A claim made without evidence may be refuted without evidence."

If the "evidence" is "somebody said...", then refutation is as simple as "Tim said..."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 89
    matrix077 said:
    saronian said:

To help keep this factual, Mark Newson works with a lots of companies, hires does not mean an employee. More appropriately he was contracted or was an independent consultant. The company I work for currently has been working with Mark Newson for the last 9 yrs on various projects, so he could not be an Apple employee if he is also working with the company I work for. It is generally frown upon being an actual employee of one company and also doing work with other companies.

It is known Mark work with Apple on the Watch as well as the new campus. We can guess at his contribution on the watch, but the campus could be any number of things. Base on those two things, I suspect he gets a licensing fee for each watch sold and was mostly like paid for time spent on the campus work since you can not get a royalty on building.
    edited July 2019 matrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Timmy didn't set the record straight though did he?

Timmy's knicker twisted response was rather short on detail.

Under Tim Cook Apple products have become as boring as one of his keynote addresses. Tim Cook is an enthusiasm vacuum, it's no wonder old one-trick decided to move on.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Wow. Kind of amazing for Cook to respond to this. It’s rare for Apple to respond to the rumor mill.
    This is not a product related statement and it is about Cook character and it questions his leadership so he had to respond, otherwise, it could have direct impact on the company.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 89
    JinTech said:
    Good on Cook for setting the record straight!
    Respectfully, Tim did not set the record straight. He said the story was wrong but did not refute specific claims, so I would say he is taking a stand against purportedly false reporting. Setting the record straight involves providing facts, which are absent in this case thus far.

Tim Cook said the story was absurd. Of course he’s not going to refute every allegation in the story. I would hope to god he’s got more important things to do. The fact he responded at all when Apple rarely if ever responds to gossip says a lot.
    I am willing to beat with high confidence this play out this way. 

The media got wind Ives was formally existing, even though he been working remotely for years and now it is a big issue. Notice how this was a non-story since Steve died. Yeah people questions Cooks ability to walk the Steve walk, but there were no issues raised about Ives and Cook. So now they ran around and found people who have 6 degree of Kevin Bacon connect to Ives and Cook and were designer or engineer themselves and saw Cook not having the same love affair with a design (think about how Ives describes a product) as Ives and themselves and confirmed for the media what they wanted to believe. The media has sources to back up their claim but they are announce so no one can challenge the validity of a source. If the statements are true and these are people outside the company, you need to question why they are anonymous. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Well that's pretty much it. Now Even The Esteemed "Wall Street Journal" is into reporting Fake News. Journalism has lost its way. Sink or Swim folks,, sooner or later people will ignore you. Then you go the way of hundreds of other Newspapers in the country.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 89
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    welshdog said:
    WSJ and Bloomberg always seem to have an axe to grind with Apple. NYT too. One would think the NYC financial sector doesn’t like Apple for not playing their games and refusing to manage to the stock price... That management style, of maximizing stockholder value, is aka The Dumbest Idea In the World:

Here's another: https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-warren-shareholder-myth-20180816-story.html
    It truly is a dumb idea and is directly responsible for a lot of corporate misbehavior and bad judgement.
    I find Forbes is the worst. They have click bait articles about supposedly major problems cropping up with existing or rumored iPhones (and other Apple devices, but they seem to specialize in phone rumors). If a fraction were true, Apple would have been out of business years ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 89
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    ktappe said:
    georgie01 said:
    Yes, because the major news outlets never run news that is deliberately misleading or absurdly biased...
    Painting all media outlets with one brush is rather misleading as well. 
     Ktappe is mostly accurate in his/her assessment. They’re all in it for the ratings. The truth is far too upsetting for the average American. Period. 

Check out out some stories on !democracy now¡. Stories that sound too far fetched, then do some research, then, open your eyes. It will be a shocker, I guarantee it. 
  • Reply 77 of 89
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Well that's pretty much it. Now Even The Esteemed "Wall Street Journal" is into reporting Fake News. Journalism has lost its way. Sink or Swim folks,, sooner or later people will ignore you. Then you go the way of hundreds of other Newspapers in the country.
    Fake News is Fake News
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 89
    The WSJ is behind a paywall and is much less impacted by clickbait that the modern internet media landscape suffers from and is one of the few news sources that spends years researching a story. Look at the Theranos investigation that exposed it's fraud and brought it down. (HBO has a good documentary on it and the WSJ investigation).

Tim is the CEO - he has to do damage control because this implies that Apple has lost it's way to bean counters which many of us feel. This is probably the single most scathing post Jobs article there is - how could Tim not respond? And would Tim ever say "yes they are right - I'm a bean counter and effectively forced Jony out" I don't think so.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    doctormcdoctormc Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Talk about a fragile ego!  Tim Cook’s response suggests the article is accurate.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    doctormc said:
    Talk about a fragile ego!  Tim Cook’s response suggests the article is accurate.
    No it doesn't. It suggests it's pure bullshit. 

Cook is the C-class exec of a publicly traded company, he can't lie about this. So, refute that.
    watto_cobra