• Reply 21 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei+Google.

Wow, what could go wrong?

Scary sh**.
    In less than two weeks Honor will fully unveil a far more ambitious project.
    More ambitious than their Honor AirPod knockoffs!? Such beautiful, ground-breaking work from your shop.

An earbud with the cable cut off? I'm flabbergasted by the audaciousness!

Do you really think only Apple had that idea? [...]

Huawei/Honor have different designs for earbuds but you only ever put up the same tired, old photo of just one of them! 

Yes, we know why you do it. You don't have to answer.
    Yes, because they’re a complete, shameless ripoff of AirPods. That they have other ripoffs in the wings doesn’t somehow make this less true. Your shop is a rip-off shop. That you actually try to defend the rip-off says everything we need to know. 
    Are you trying to claim that the exterior design is actually in some way different to a regular earbud without the cable?

What makes AirPods different is on the inside not the outside!

You can go back 20 (?) Years and see handsfree options that have the batteries in the shaft and mics at the end!
    Are you trying to claim these Honor flypods are anything but a complete ripoff of the very distinct design of AirPods? Even the bud is a ripoff copy of the AirPod/EarPod design. Say it with me “They are a complete ripoff...”. You can do it!

I'm sure you're old enough to know the roll....

Apple invents a beautiful, simple product. The entire industry copies to the point that Apples hard work and design becomes common. People then claim there's "no other way" to design such product.

Rinse.
    Repeat.
    cat52anantksundaramjahbladepscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    cat52 said:
    avon b7 said:
    cat52 said:
    Two weeks ago Peter Thiel gave a talk where he mentioned China has so many spies working within Google, that Google is effectively morphing into a Chinese company. (or words to that effect)

Given Thiel's comments, small wonder Google wants to partner with Huawei, of all people...
    You would be foolish to think that the same doesn't happen in the other direction. Industrial espionage isn't exactly new and while a PV process is designed to reduce your risks, it cannot eliminate them.
    While industrial espionage may not be new, I hardly think Chinese corporations are at risk of being taken over by American spies.

Moreover, stealing tech from the Americans is what the Soviets used to do with great skill.  And now the Chinese do with great skill as well.

If China ever invented something worth stealing, perhaps you would have a point.  But IP theft is pretty much a one-way street, as it has been for the past 70 years.
    The whole point behind U.S actions is precisely because China now does have things worth stealing. China has leapfrogged the U.S in certain areas and is about to do the same in others.

The U.S is scrambling to thwart Chinese technological progress in every way it can for fear of losing influence on the world stage.

5G is just one of these areas.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Burn in Hell, Huawei.
    watto_cobracat52
  • Reply 24 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei+Google.

Scary sh**.
    Nothing scary about it. Especially as it was a standard partnership project. Huawei uses Google Assistant, Alexa and YoYo in various products. This would have been (and probably still will be) a future product.

In less than two weeks Honor will fully unveil a far more ambitious project. A 'TV/Smartscreen' with a camera onboard (pop-up for those who don't want one) that will include a brand new AI chipset and possibly not run Android. It will also have all the directional mics and much of the technology of the Smartspeaker, too. We might also see two new SoCs at the end of August from Huawei.

The risk of Huawei pulling away from U.S suppliers has seemingly become reality with many U.S suppliers likely to see revenue drops to the tune of billions. 

Of course, if you feel scared it's likely based on heresay. I think the Snowden leaks should have made you feel far more scared, independently of the companies you buy from.

Where this goes -- at least for the near future -- mostly depends on how much soybeans China agree to buy from U.S. farmers.  But it won't go away completely:  Trump will be walking a fine line between showing his base that he's "Tough on China" while trying to make sure that he doesn't hurt the U.S. (and particularly his base) too, too much.

Right now, everybody is waiting for  tomorrow's talks to start in order to start working out the details of what Trump promised in his meeting with Xi.   And so, until those things are worked out, the U.S. is continuing to use Huawei as leverage in its trade war -- which means both U.S. and Chinese producers are in total confusion over what will happen to this so called "entity list".

Hopefully Trump's hardline "negotiators" don't botch things up.   If they do, the first thing China will do is create its own "entity list" of U.S. corporations -- but it won;t stop there and it won't be pretty.    Everybody will suffer.

But, currently, that is a very real possibility:  Partly because the U.S. negotiating team is comprised of radical hardliners and partly because the U.S. will want to negotiate from the current status while China wants to start from scratch where there is no agreement till all is agreed on.   What has been happening is:  China has been accepting U.S. proposals which the U.S. then takes as the base for all future negotiations and, when China asks for some reciprocity, outraged U.S. negotiators call foul.   It's been almost entirely one-sided -- which obviously cannot continue.

It all depends on how much control Trump exerts over his negotiating team. 
    Meanwhile popular sentiment in China is turning decidedly against the U.S.   While Huawei smart phone sales are reaching record high levels, sales of all other smart phones (including Apple) are declining in China.  
    edited July 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 30
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    Yea that would be a spying on you speaker for sure recording everything in your home or business. Wouldn't want anything to do with either company making something like that. The spam you would get would be like a tidal wave. Not to mention your identity would be stolen.
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 26 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei+Google.

Scary sh**.
    More ambitious than their Honor AirPod knockoffs!? Such beautiful, ground-breaking work from your shop.

Huawei/Honor have different designs for earbuds but you only ever put up the same tired, old photo of just one of them! 

Yes, because they’re a complete, shameless ripoff of AirPods. That they have other ripoffs in the wings doesn’t somehow make this less true. Your shop is a rip-off shop. That you actually try to defend the rip-off says everything we need to know. 
    Are you trying to claim that the exterior design is actually in some way different to a regular earbud without the cable?

You can go back 20 (?) Years and see handsfree options that have the batteries in the shaft and mics at the end!
    Are you trying to claim these Honor flypods are anything but a complete ripoff of the very distinct design of AirPods? Even the bud is a ripoff copy of the AirPod/EarPod design. Say it with me “They are a complete ripoff...”. You can do it!
    I'm saying that what makes an AirPod different is on the inside, not the outside. There are some pretty limited options for the outside and that is one of those options.

I could take any one of hundreds of white wired designs and snip the cables off to get an AirPod look. To the casual observer, it would go virtually unnoticed. There is nothing 'original' in the outer design. That was probably the goal, though. They took something wired and made it wireless by simply removing the cable. Not only that but they took advantage of the stem to house other necessary components. Again there were few reasonable form factors available. Take a look at the market. How many design types do you see?

This design level is what Jony Ive calls the 'color and form and the overall sort of architecture'. At this level Apple broke no new ground. No one did.

Now, if you want to look much closer (even at that level) you will see differences but that is a different level of observation. The problem with that is that if you care to look that closely you will see more differences than similarities between Huawei's offerings and Apple's and then your claim falls apart. 

Even the case broke no new ground on overall shape, colour etc. I've had dental floss cases and no end of products (glasses cases etc) in exactly the same 'type' of case. Taller than wider with a flip top (rounded corners included). That's it. Tried and tested. A no brainer for any user and impossible to lose the top.

Once again, the real differences are on
    the inside, not the outside and in the finer details (the sound of the closing 'click' for example). However, your claim is focusing limited to the visual part while simultaneously ignoring the visual elements from their other wireless products.

There is no reason to reinvent the wheel on the basic mechanical operation and the overall styling (although people do crave more colour options).

And talking about Ive, he loves to talk it up, and on the AirPods he liked to talk about the impact of the design in everyday life and how the off looking product would be received. He clearly forgot what people looked like wearing those larger handsfree units hanging out of one ear which were all the rage years ago. Again there was no new ground broken here. Just as with fashion accessories, people just have to get used to a certain look. Flares, big rimmed glasses, platform shoes, even beards! At first, things look strange, then they don't.

Now, the AirPods are great. So are the Huawei buds. The worst thing about them is not being able to swap out the batteries and, in my particular case, the shape. My ears don't have the right form for them to sit in. If it weren't for those two factors, I'd have a pair myself.

Of course that means Apple earbuds and any other bud of a standard moulded design won't work for me and that's where those few other designs come in and in this particular case, there isn't one design that rules them all. For wireless bud case design there are basically three common designs:

Tall flip top
    Wide flip top
    Pouch/case

You will be hard pressed to find other variants because with those three you are covered.

The same applies to the buds themselves. The designs play to ear shape and comfort. They all fall into the same limited categories.

The rip-off you see really isn't so much of a rip-off for the reasons I've outlined. I suggest you look at the whole product (closely if you wish) and seek out the differences. Then factor in all the Huawei wireless variants (that look nothing like AirPods) and put that into context, along with the rest of the product (the insides for example). You are focussing on a very narrow range of points and wilfully ignoring the rest.

Let me put it this way. It's as if Apple releases the iPhone 11 with a square camera array with rounded corners and I scream, 'rip-off!' a post an image of the Mate 20 Pro's 'squircle'. 

Do they look similar? Very, but there is far more to it than that and I've pointed some of the reasons why.

Also, you have never heard anything critical about the AirPods themselves from me except for the replacement battery issue and that applies to everyone else too.

Quite why you felt the need to dump the same photo you've posted so many times before in a thread that has nothing to do with earbuds is a mystery.

Why not focus on the article and implications? 

• Reply 27 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei+Google.

Scary sh**.

I'm saying that what makes an AirPod different is on the inside, not the outside. There are some pretty limited options for the outside and that is one of those options.

I could take any one of hundreds of white wired designs and snip the cables off to get an AirPod look. To the casual observer, it would go virtually unnoticed. There is nothing 'original' in the outer design. That was probably the goal, though. They took something wired and made it wireless by simply removing the cable. Not only that but they took advantage of the stem to house other necessary components. Again there were few reasonable form factors available. Take a look at the market. How many design types do you see?

This design level is what Jony Ive calls the 'color and form and the overall sort of architecture'. At this level Apple broke no new ground. No one did.

Now, if you want to look much closer (even at that level) you will see differences but that is a different level of observation. The problem with that is that if you care to look that closely you will see more differences than similarities between Huawei's offerings and Apple's and then your claim falls apart. 

Even the case broke no new ground on overall shape, colour etc. I've had dental floss cases and no end of products (glasses cases etc) in exactly the same 'type' of case. Taller than wider with a flip top (rounded corners included). That's it. Tried and tested. A no brainer for any user and impossible to lose the top.

the inside, not the outside and in the finer details (the sound of the closing 'click' for example). However, your claim is focusing limited to the visual part while simultaneously ignoring the visual elements from their other wireless products.

There is no reason to reinvent the wheel on the basic mechanical operation and the overall styling (although people do crave more colour options).

And talking about Ive, he loves to talk it up, and on the AirPods he liked to talk about the impact of the design in everyday life and how the off looking product would be received. He clearly forgot what people looked like wearing those larger handsfree units hanging out of one ear which were all the rage years ago. Again there was no new ground broken here. Just as with fashion accessories, people just have to get used to a certain look. Flares, big rimmed glasses, platform shoes, even beards! At first, things look strange, then they don't.

Now, the AirPods are great. So are the Huawei buds. The worst thing about them is not being able to swap out the batteries and, in my particular case, the shape. My ears don't have the right form for them to sit in. If it weren't for those two factors, I'd have a pair myself.

Of course that means Apple earbuds and any other bud of a standard moulded design won't work for me and that's where those few other designs come in and in this particular case, there isn't one design that rules them all. For wireless bud case design there are basically three common designs:

Tall flip top
    Wide flip top
    Pouch/case

You will be hard pressed to find other variants because with those three you are covered.

The same applies to the buds themselves. The designs play to ear shape and comfort. They all fall into the same limited categories.

The rip-off you see really isn't so much of a rip-off for the reasons I've outlined. I suggest you look at the whole product (closely if you wish) and seek out the differences. Then factor in all the Huawei wireless variants (that look nothing like AirPods) and put that into context, along with the rest of the product (the insides for example). You are focussing on a very narrow range of points and wilfully ignoring the rest.

Let me put it this way. It's as if Apple releases the iPhone 11 with a square camera array with rounded corners and I scream, 'rip-off!' a post an image of the Mate 20 Pro's 'squircle'. 

Do they look similar? Very, but there is far more to it than that and I've pointed some of the reasons why.

Also, you have never heard anything critical about the AirPods themselves from me except for the replacement battery issue and that applies to everyone else too.

Quite why you felt the need to dump the same photo you've posted so many times before in a thread that has nothing to do with earbuds is a mystery.

A knockoff is a knockoff. Even the earbuds you "snip" the wires from are designed by Apple. I remember when all earbuds looked different then white iPod earbuds came out and now all knockoff iPhones come with these. It's pathetic.

Do you really think, had Apple not invented AirPods that Huawei would have naturally released these this year? lol
  • Reply 28 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei+Google.

Scary sh**.

Tall flip top
    Wide flip top
    Pouch/case

A knockoff is a knockoff. Even the earbuds you "snip" the wires from are designed by Apple. I remember when all earbuds looked different then white iPod earbuds came out and now all knockoff iPhones come with these. It's pathetic.

Do you really think, had Apple not invented AirPods that Huawei would have naturally released these this year? lol
    Why persist in going off topic? Read up. The answer to your question is 'definitely'. They were called 'Freebuds 2 Pro' for a reason.

Here's another pair. This time Honor. Are you still seeing AirPods? (Rhetorical question). They come in other colours too:

https://www.thephonograph.net/huawei-honor-flypods-am-h1c-flypods-lite-review/

Now, back on topic and talking about U.S restrictions, this is a perfect example of crazy, paranoical hysteria.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/14629/us-china-deal-huawei

That is the kind of thinking that truly believes Xi Jinping would be eavesdropping on you through a Huawei smartspeaker. 

• Reply 29 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cat52 said:
    cat52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    cat52 said:
    Two weeks ago Peter Thiel gave a talk where he mentioned China has so many spies working within Google, that Google is effectively morphing into a Chinese company. (or words to that effect)

Given Thiel's comments, small wonder Google wants to partner with Huawei, of all people...
    Are you sure it isn't spies at Apple? With at least two engineers with connections to China arrested for theft of "Apple secrets" in the last 24 month it would make you wonder how many are there who have NOT been discovered yet.
    Yeah, he was saying Chinese spies is a problem all tech companies face, however for whatever reason the problem is most severe within Google.

And yep, you have to wonder how many more are out there...
    Only in Trump land.
    You may think you're smarter than Peter Thiel, but judging from your posts, I tend to doubt it.
    FWIW Peter Thiel made a accusatory statement with no evidence or backup. I'm a little surprised you put so much faith in him. Based on what? 

I'm sure there's industrial/technology spies throughout "the valley" as well as across the US in other businesses. Obviously they have taken up residence at Apple with arress of the more obvious ones. Calling out one of the techs as "traitorous" because there might be spies among the employees is going a bit overboard. It was said for some other reason, and his friend Mr.Trump will take advantage of it. 
    edited August 2019