Apple issues iOS 9.3.6 and iOS 10.3.4 updates for older iPhone and iPad models

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    My wife's iPad 3 (model A1430) says it has already downloaded the update, but every time I click on Install Now, the activity indicator just spins for many minutes before apparently giving up and highlighting the Install Now button again. I've rebooted the machine to no effect. In all, I've tried to install the update 4 times without success. The General > About screen still shows version 9.3.5. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    BigAlTBigAlT Posts: 2member
    I finally managed to update my iPhone 4s via iTunes. I downloaded the update on my Mac laptop ( the ipsw file from ipswdownload.com ). I connected my iPhone to the laptop via usb. After iTunes recognized the iPhone and showed the check for Updates Button. I clicked the check for updates button while holding the option button. That will bring up the ability to choose and open a file. Choose the correct ipsw file for your particular device that you just downloaded ( there are different ipsw files for each device so make sure you download the correct file ). After selecting the correct ipsw file hit the open button followed by the update button. It may look like the installation has stalled with the waiting for iPhone ( iPad ) showing in iTunes for a very long time before anything starts to happen. It seems to take forever to complete the installation. My install took 20 minutes so don’t quit iTunes thinking it’s stalled or you’ll be left with a device showing the connect to iTunes graphic and have to repeat the whole  process all over again.
     This worked for me so hopefully it will work for you. On my iPhone after the update downloaded and the iPhone restarted I got a screen saying to update slide here. You slide the button and you get another install screen similar to when iTunes is updating your iPhone ( not sure if it will be the same on an iPad ). After the progress bar completes my iPhone restarted in iOS 9.3.6
    Ylva
  • Reply 23 of 27
    yashsharmayashsharma Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    Great to see apple still pushing out updates to VERY old devices.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Follow-up on my 30 July post ... after ignoring the flag on the Settings icon for a day while continuing to use the iPad, the dialog box announcing the update appeared over the home screen. Selecting Install Now successfully installed the update. I have no idea why it would not install earlier.

• Reply 25 of 27
    YlvaYlva Posts: 2member
    BigAlT said:
    I finally managed to update my iPhone 4s via iTunes. I downloaded the update on my Mac laptop ( the ipsw file from ipswdownload.com ). I connected my iPhone to the laptop via usb. After iTunes recognized the iPhone and showed the check for Updates Button. I clicked the check for updates button while holding the option button. That will bring up the ability to choose and open a file. Choose the correct ipsw file for your particular device that you just downloaded ( there are different ipsw files for each device so make sure you download the correct file ). After selecting the correct ipsw file hit the open button followed by the update button. It may look like the installation has stalled with the waiting for iPhone ( iPad ) showing in iTunes for a very long time before anything starts to happen. It seems to take forever to complete the installation. My install took 20 minutes so don’t quit iTunes thinking it’s stalled or you’ll be left with a device showing the connect to iTunes graphic and have to repeat the whole  process all over again.
     This worked for me so hopefully it will work for you. On my iPhone after the update downloaded and the iPhone restarted I got a screen saying to update slide here. You slide the button and you get another install screen similar to when iTunes is updating your iPhone ( not sure if it will be the same on an iPad ). After the progress bar completes my iPhone restarted in iOS 9.3.6
    Thanks for a thorough and informative instruction! However, not being too familiar with the terminology, is it actually the firmware I should download? That is, as shown to me, what ipswdownload.com is offering. Would that be a kind of generator for the update process to work? According to the 'About' on my phone, it is connected to the modem (modemfirmware). Or is there something else I should be looking for? Sorry about all the questions :) 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    YlvaYlva Posts: 2member
    BigAlT said:
    Aah, would have liked to add to my previous comment, but tampered with the wrong keys, I presume :) 
    Would just like to say magic happened. On my phone screen popped invite to update, and with not much hope I followed through – and it processed along, just like in the old days!
    And yeah, I've got kind of an idea of firmware now, could have looked it up myself on beforehand.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    I have had 2 Apple iPhone 4S "bricked" during the IOS 9.3.6 during the update. After it is almost done, it reports a Hardware error (29). I have a third 4S that is asking to be updated but I say "later" at every request. The phone were working before the update was applied but Apple says "sorry". There is definitely bad code in the update when it hits the 4S. I don't recommend it.