'Apple Card is Here' video shows up on Apple's YouTube channel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple has released a new video promoting the release of their new credit card, the Apple Card, to their YouTube channel.

The video, titled "Apple Card is Here", provides a brief list of features of the Apple Card. It showcases a user browsing the wallet app to view their balance, as well as view individual transactions.

"It's a new kind of credit card," the narration says, "created by Apple, not a bank, with a better way to track where you spend, daily cash you get back every day, and a new level of privacy and security."

The security features alone make the Apple Card an attractive proposition. By utilizing Apple Pay, the card requires a form of biometric authentication, either Face ID or Touch ID, in order to authorize payments -- except in the case of the Apple Watch.

The physical card itself is also secure. There is no physical card number on the front of the card and no security code on the back, meaning that it's unlikely someone would be able to snag your card number and use it to make large purchases. If you lose your card and are concerned someone may be able to make physical purchases with it, a quick tap on "Lock Card" within the wallet app keeps you safe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I am so much better off with NO credit card !  I only have a debit card,
    hippo
  • Reply 2 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dougd said:
    Most recommend avoiding Debit cards because, although they have fraud protection, YOUR money is tied up until the fraud is investigated and the transaction reversed.   That could cause additional problems when checks start to bounce.   With a credit card, it is the bank's money tied up.

Plus, debit cards aren't going to give you 3% cash back on that $1,500 iPhone 11 Pro you're going to buy next month!   And, if you pay your bill at the end of the month, there is no interest charge -- just like a debit card.
    hippourahara
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hippohippo Posts: 25member
    dougd said:
    Most recommend avoiding Debit cards because, although they have fraud protection, YOUR money is tied up until the fraud is investigated and the transaction reversed.   That could cause additional problems when checks start to bounce.   With a credit card, it is the bank's money tied up.

Plus, debit cards aren't going to give you 3% cash back on that $1,500 iPhone 11 Pro you're going to buy next month!   And, if you pay your bill at the end of the month, there is no interest charge -- just like a debit card.
    True, but many people spend money they don't have or overspend with credit cards, and you can't do that with debit. Which is way worse than getting some small 1-3% back. Of course if you are very financially disciplined, credit cards may be ok. But most people are not.

The Apple Card is great for its unique security features.
    urahara
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well, I got denied despite having a substantial household income. I was denied instantly because I am having a situation with an investment property with many missed payments. It is the only negative mark on my credit.  So much for considering all credit profiles
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I have a good income but use essentially no credit. The one really solid reason to get a credit card for me is that I should be able to rent a car. Car rental companies really HATE to rent to people with only debit cards. Guess it’s just too risky nowadays. 

So so I got Apple Card and so far I really like the design. So far I mainly use it for the 3% cash back on Apple Books.  One thing that startled me was that Apple credit is to your Apple Pay card and appears when the transaction settles, not the same day you use the card. 
    steveauGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hippo said:
    dougd said:

True, but many people spend money they don't have or overspend with credit cards, and you can't do that with debit. Which is way worse than getting some small 1-3% back. Of course if you are very financially disciplined, credit cards may be ok. But most people are not.

The Apple Card is great for its unique security features.
    Yeh, I agree.   For myself, I stopped borrowing 45 years ago when I realized how much it cost to do so.   I did take out a student loan 15 years ago (that I paid off over 12 years) but that was mostly because the interest rate of 1.875% was low enough that it was better than taking the money from my investments which earned more.

And, for years, I used a debit card for just the reason that you give:   It forced me into "pay as you go" mode.  But eventually, I migrated over into credit cards and it was a decision I do not regret:   Aside from getting cash back from using them (cash back from my Discover card recently paid half the cost of an iPhone Xr for my grandson), they have also helped to boost my credit score above 800 -- which has benefits beyond simply getting credit, it's used for a number of other things as well.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    dougd said:
    While I've always had a card or two for emergencies, I gravitated to my debit card when my bank started offering fraud protection. But I'll be using my AC quite a bit.

sdw2001 said:
    Well, I got denied despite having a substantial household income. I was denied instantly because I am having a situation with an investment property with many missed payments. It is the only negative mark on my credit.  So much for considering all credit profiles
    If they had considered only your substantial household income, you'd be golden. Unfortunately, they considered all credit profiles. Having a ton of money doesn't do any good if your not giving it to the people owed. I can see how that'd be considered a huge red flag.

Maybe, if you sent documentation to the credit bureaus, or Transunion in particular, and maybe they'd see clear to ignore missed payments. If that can't be done or doesn't help, they're smart not to take a chance.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macgui said:
    dougd said:
    While I've always had a card or two for emergencies, I gravitated to my debit card when my bank started offering fraud protection. But I'll be using my AC quite a bit.

sdw2001 said:
    If they had considered only your substantial household income, you'd be golden. Unfortunately, they considered all credit profiles. Having a ton of money doesn't do any good if your not giving it to the people owed. I can see how that'd be considered a huge red flag.

Maybe, if you sent documentation to the credit bureaus, or Transunion in particular, and maybe they'd see clear to ignore missed payments. If that can't be done or doesn't help, they're smart not to take a chance.
    It sounds like this is a dispute and he is withholding payments for  (what he believes) a valid reason.  Unfortunately, the credit agencies only see missed payments.  I suspect there are a ton of people in that same boat.   When a private person is up against a real estate corporation they typically take it on the chin.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macgui said:
    dougd said:

An interesting article on why to avoid debit cards  and other stuff)by an expert....

‘Never, ever use a debit card,’ warns fraud expert and ex-con artist—here’s what to do instead

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/27/debit-cards-are-dangerous-warns-fraud-expert-and-ex-con-artist-frank-abagnale.html