Editorial: 'iPhone 11' design will advance Apple's mobile imaging lead

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Holding the phone still for six seconds to get a shot is not something I have or ever will do. Even on my Canon dSLR gear, I had little interest in trick photography, bracketing, HDR, etc. Sure for niche use cases that’s nice, but it was not something myself or anyone I know will use. I hardly find it a ding for the most popular handset not to have this niche use case. 
    Holding a phone for - up to - eight seconds is far from niche. If you really want the shot, simply holding a phone is hardly a massive hoop to jump through.

And, as the linked article states, even if you use standard settings for low light, it will still likely be better than anything the iPhone can muster.

Turn on night mode however, and those seconds could get you something special. Definitely something to get you using it more.

Low light photography is pretty common from a general photography use case. The problem is that the results aren't normally that great.

Plenty of regular folks carry a small flexi stabiliser with them for longer exposure situations. The problem with that is your composition will depend on where you can place it. Night Mode gets rid of those problems and gives you much more versatility. That's without including the incredible zoom options of the P30 Pro either.

Here are a few more extreme examples. Don't focus on how extreme they are but on how far, you the user, can go. Many camera phones won't let you decide how far to take things. They decide for you (via limitations) and give up the chase.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18290215/huawei-p30-pro-camera-night-low-light-mode-photos

Of course the Huawei phones come a full manual control camera app out of the box.

Low light capability is supported nicely by 3rd party apps, and here's an example;

https://petapixel.com/2019/08/28/neuralcam-night-photo-app-brings-ai-powered-low-light-mode-to-iphones/

Looks to be the same exact process as every other low light system for Android OS. Whether Apple comes up with their own variant as part of iOs 13 will be answered in a few weskz, but for now, it's certainly within reach of every recent iPhone owner.

The Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro include sensor modifications to aid low light photography.

The link doesn't say if the sample photos were handheld or not (or I didn't catch that) and of course there is a big hit on resolution too.

Interesting to see that the app became a high downloader on the app store which possibly indicates good demand for the feature.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Holding the phone still for six seconds to get a shot is not something I have or ever will do. Even on my Canon dSLR gear, I had little interest in trick photography, bracketing, HDR, etc. Sure for niche use cases that’s nice, but it was not something myself or anyone I know will use. I hardly find it a ding for the most popular handset not to have this niche use case. 
    Holding a phone for - up to - eight seconds is far from niche. If you really want the shot, simply holding a phone is hardly a massive hoop to jump through.

And, as the linked article states, even if you use standard settings for low light, it will still likely be better than anything the iPhone can muster.

Turn on night mode however, and those seconds could get you something special. Definitely something to get you using it more.

Low light photography is pretty common from a general photography use case. The problem is that the results aren't normally that great.

Plenty of regular folks carry a small flexi stabiliser with them for longer exposure situations. The problem with that is your composition will depend on where you can place it. Night Mode gets rid of those problems and gives you much more versatility. That's without including the incredible zoom options of the P30 Pro either.

Here are a few more extreme examples. Don't focus on how extreme they are but on how far, you the user, can go. Many camera phones won't let you decide how far to take things. They decide for you (via limitations) and give up the chase.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18290215/huawei-p30-pro-camera-night-low-light-mode-photos

Of course the Huawei phones come a full manual control camera app out of the box.

Low light capability is supported nicely by 3rd party apps, and here's an example;

https://petapixel.com/2019/08/28/neuralcam-night-photo-app-brings-ai-powered-low-light-mode-to-iphones/

Looks to be the same exact process as every other low light system for Android OS. Whether Apple comes up with their own variant as part of iOs 13 will be answered in a few weskz, but for now, it's certainly within reach of every recent iPhone owner.

The Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro include sensor modifications to aid low light photography.

The link doesn't say if the sample photos were handheld or not (or I didn't catch that) and of course there is a big hit on resolution too.

Interesting to see that the app became a high downloader on the app store which possibly indicates good demand for the feature.
    Those sensor modifications are likely the reason that some reviewers find that Huawei doesn't compare as well in daylight compared to Pixel or iPhone. Myself, I don't think Huawei is really that great at imaging software, but that, of course, is just my opinion.

My own opinion is that Apple will demo said night mode at the iPhone event, so what is Huawei going to do next to differentiate themselves?
    edited August 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Good to see work from Daniel, as always.

In the comments, funny to hear iPhone called the ‘good-enough’ option without a word about how Apple established a whole new standard for such cameras and continues to raise the bar for smartphone photography.  It seems there are many people who have many smartphones, and their comments seem unrealistic to me:  I consider myself extremely lucky to have a device which doubles as a high-quality pocketable camera.  I would no more go buy a different smartphone for some effete featurette than I would go buy a new car because I liked its rims better than my other one.

sounds like too much money, too little appreciation, too much free time, too small an audience....
    lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Those sensor modifications are likely the reason that some reviewers find that Huawei doesn't compare as well in daylight compared to Pixel or iPhone. Myself, I don't think Huawei is really that great at imaging software, but that, of course, is just my opinion.

My own opinion is that Apple will demo said night mode at the iPhone event, so what is Huawei going to do next to differentiate themselves?
    Well, almost jokingly, I have to say that developments over the last 2 hours may severely dampen the Mate 30 deployment options. We'll see what happens. If what I've read is true, the Chinese government may retailiate tit for tat fashion and things will get worse.

As for differentiation, I know it will be video related as the biggest rumours are in that field. For photography there is a rumoured dual 40MP lens system and a
    quad camera with maybe a fifth sensor. Pure speculation there. 25W wireless charging.

Then there is the HarmonyOS element. There will be progressive advances on virtualised hardware being pooled by the Harmony OS ecosystem (which will go open source) and taking hardware resources from available devices to obtain the best results. Parts of Harmony are already in shipping Huawei phones even though Android is the OS. Of
    course AI is also going to play a part in some areas.

If nothing changes as a result of the latest news, expect a Kirin 990 reveal on 6 Sept and two weeks later the Mate 30 Series.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Well, almost jokingly, I have to say that developments over the last 2 hours may severely dampen the Mate 30 deployment options. We'll see what happens. If what I've read is true, the Chinese government may retailiate tit for tat fashion and things will get worse.

As for differentiation, I know it will be video related as the biggest rumours are in that field. For photography there is a rumoured dual 40MP lens system and a
    quad camera with maybe a fifth sensor. Pure speculation there. 25W wireless charging.

Then there is the HarmonyOS element. There will be progressive advances on virtualised hardware being pooled by the Harmony OS ecosystem (which will go open source) and taking hardware resources from available devices to obtain the best results. Parts of Harmony are already in shipping Huawei phones even though Android is the OS. Of

If nothing changes as a result of the latest news, expect a Kirin 990 reveal on 6 Sept and two weeks later the Mate 30 Series.
    I'm not seeing the "latest news" that you are, that would have an impact on Huawei.

Oh wait, Google won't license Android OS to Huawei for the Mate 30.

Sad, but not unexpected.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/08/28/google-delivers-killer-blow-to-huawei-mate-30/#7b740e9c1c4d

News.

Harmony OS isn't ready to compete as a smartphone OS. It is intended as a common os for IoT. It's going to suck big time as a smartphone OS, and without Google Services, most of the Western World won't be buying it.
    edited August 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm not seeing the "latest news" that you are, that would have an impact on Huawei.
    Reuters is reporting, per Google, that the Mate 30 Series can't ship with licenced Android. 

If this is perceived to be from government interference, foot dragging (over special licence applications) or similar, the Chinese government might finally decide to activate its own entity list.

The coming hours should prove interesting.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Reuters is reporting, per Google, that the Mate 30 Series can't ship with licenced Android. 

If this is perceived to be from government interference, foot dragging (over special licence applications) or similar, the Chinese government might finally decide to activate its own entity list.

China could do a lot that would have The effect of destroying the supply chains of a lot of companies, but all of that would have severe consequences to China's economy. So far, China's "retaliation" against the U.S. has only been modestly successful against agriculture, and even at that, Trump is still keeping the support of farmers. 

Worse, China is talking up a social scoring system for foreign companies.

Your CCP at work!
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I took photos with iPhone XS at night (with some street lamps around), and they looked very realistic - things you see in real life are visible on photos, things you don't see in real life are pitch black on photos. Why put a low-resolution night vision camera in a phone? FYI if you follow the link to iPhone vs Huawei comparison, there are Night Mode photos of a concert that clearly show all the stage equipment attached to the ceiling. Normally it is made black and invisible for people watching the concert in the hall. Why do you want to see it on photos?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tmay said:
    melgross said:
    While I’d like to believe this is all true, I find some of it in error, or just a stretch.

tango was abandoned for several reasons. One was that the technology was complex. Another was that it was expensive. The last was that it was, technologically, too early.

a problem with Android is that the average selling price of the phones, worldwide, is about $230. That doesn’t allow much room for expensive technologies. Overall, while Apple has just a small share of the market, which has been shrinking, it has an outsized portion of the high end market. For example, while Apple will sell about 200 million high end phones in the next 12 months, Samsung will sell about 30 million. Huawei will sell less, and other manufacturers, even less. Google just sells about 3 million phones as a high estimate.

because of that, it’s difficult to develop a high end technology that will need to be applied to a large number of devices for third party developers to take part. Even Apple can’t force that. An example is 3D Touch, which Apple themselves never applied terribly strategically, and which third party developers for the most part, ignored.

so Google gave it up.

as far as Apple efforts in photography go, there are other cameras that outdo Apple’s work in individual areas, but not overall. Going to computer sites, or channels that are run by people who are not photographically savvy, note the few areas in which Google and even Samsung and Huawei outdo Apple in one area or another, but fail to note that overall, Apple’s cameras are better in reliability and consistently. But go to sites and channels run by professional photographers, and it’s rare to find one that uses something other than an iPhone, or who has anything good, overall, to say about them. Take a thousand pictures with phones, and iPhones will return a much higher percentage of good shots than any other.

and yes, I’m familiar with night modes. And yes, I know that Apple doesn’t have one yet. And while they excelled in getting a photo out of trash, they really aren’t good photos. Low resolution, and other problems abound. But getting the photo has excited those who use the feature, and so the other problems have been ignored. Is that why Apple hasn’t come out with a competitive mode yet? Very likely. Generally, Apple’s cameras have better normal low light quality, but that doesn’t compare to a low resolution comparison on the web. Maybe this year, we’ll finally get an improved version from Apple.

but, my concern is that we need substantially better sensors to begin with. It’s not impossible. But current sensors are already getting most photons to image, so conventional sensors can’t just leap to a much better level, particularly in the tiny sizes we already have.we. We need something new. There is the Foveon sensor, introduced shortly after Digital photography got going. I was given one of the early model cameras. Low resolution when compared to a beyer sensor, but sharper per pixel. I had high hopes for that, but it fizzled. Sigma, the lens maker, bought the technology some years ago, and has made advances in the resolution, and put them into some rather idiosyncratic cameras with some pretty awful software. They’ve gone nowhere. While the technology allows for high per pixel sharpness, color quality is compromised. So that’s not the answer. I have some ideas, but who knows what Apple, Canon and Sony are working on?

I’m just hoping that Apple isn’t going to come out with more of the same this year. The third camera is nice, but none I've seen so far have advanced the state if the art in any way.
    Mel,

I'm almost certain that the third lens will be used simultaneously with the other two lenses to capture images, and light, giving the user much more latitude in post capture adjustment using computational imaging. Fortunately, we're only a couple of week from finding out the details.

As for low light "night modes", I agree that they are popular, but I also don't see much value in them if they aren't close to realtime, and that's probably why Apple hasn't been a fast follower on that.
    There’s only so much you can do when processing two or three different cameras with different focal length lenses. They don’t see the scene the same way. Therefor the additional information is limited. So e cameras even have different resolution sensors, which makes it even more difficult. Apple’s tele camera sensor has been smaller than their wide angle sensor, and I can tell you that pictures are definitely noises and have less dynamic range. It limits the usefulness of that camera. So, if having two cameras was better for that purpose, I would have expected the tele quality to be higher, but it’s not.

more cameras is more a gimmick than an actual advantage. Not that there’s no advantage, but it’s less than companies want us to think. I’d rather see Apple work on an actual optical zoom. The technology has been there for a long time. I’m talking about elements that can have their focal length altered with tiny electrical currents. Phillips invented that a good ten to fifteen years ago, and I’ve seen some samples of test lenses made that way, and it works.

apple also patented a 90 degree phone camera, so what are they doing about that? It’s already being used by at least one other company. There are advantage to that. I also can’t believe that Apple can’t engineer its own sensor, if they wanted to. I keep hoping, year after year, that they are. As it is, they usually use sensors that are a generation behind. That’s been written about in the technical journals. Why? Cost? Not an excuse.

as far as night mode goes, I already stated that it could be processing that’s been holding Apple back. Maybe this year, we’ll see it. I hope so. Even with what I’ve seen from them in larger sizes, they’re much better than nothing.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Huawei’s are hit by resolution issues too, because binning is one of the methods that all companies doing this use. I’ve seen major loss of resolution in ALL photos taken using night mode from all manufacturers using it.

none of the apps in the App Store that have claimed to be lowering noise and increasing brightness using multiple photos work well. I’ve tried several over the years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

China could do a lot that would have The effect of destroying the supply chains of a lot of companies, but all of that would have severe consequences to China's economy. So far, China's "retaliation" against the U.S. has only been modestly successful against agriculture, and even at that, Trump is still keeping the support of farmers. 

Your CCP at work!
    China’s retaliation against us in agriculture has been very successful. Farmers are crying about it. Almost 90% of soybean exports have been crushed, as China has gone to Brazil and Canada. Corn and other exports such as wheat are being damaged severely. The problem with losing marker]to is that they rarely come back after the problem is over. The US was seen as a reliable supplier, not allowing political differences to co e between exports, other than some thought to be of security issues. But now, those thoughts about us have changed. If Brazil and Canada can supply China a, why would they come back here?

framers are now talking against Trump. You apparently read the wrong things.
    muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    melgross said:
    ...but, my concern is that we need substantially better sensors to begin with. It’s not impossible. While the technology allows for high per pixel sharpness, color quality is compromised. So that’s not the answer. I have some ideas, but who knows what Apple, Canon and Sony are working on?
    It may be Samsung who breaks open the next level of smartphone photography. They've dabbled in photography for a number of years, and introduced innovative models that were praised in some circles. Now they've turned their attention back to inventing better camera modules and sensors such as the ISOCELL Bright HMX, the first fruits of their effort being expected this next year. 
  • Reply 33 of 39
    melgross said:

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Your CCP at work!
    China’s retaliation against us in agriculture has been very successful. Farmers are crying about it. Almost 90% of soybean exports have been crushed, as China has gone to Brazil and Canada. Corn and other exports such as wheat are being damaged severely. The problem with losing marker]to is that they rarely come back after the problem is over. The US was seen as a reliable supplier, not allowing political differences to co e between exports, other than some thought to be of security issues. But now, those thoughts about us have changed. If Brazil and Canada can supply China a, why would they come back here?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iowa-farmers-stick-with-trump-despite-trade-war-11565775003

Maybe I do read the wrong things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

knowitall said:
    Interesting, I would love to see Apples processing power and sensors in a full fledged camera body  (I think Phil Schiller would love that) with a set of superior Apple lenses.
    Question: is depth sensing per pixel?
    There is not a high volume market for "full fledge camera body" cameras. Apple doesn't even make its own lenses. And no depth is captured at a lower resolution than the photo image. 
    I would be surprised if there wasn't. Not as much as iPhones but perhaps as much as Awatches.
    There are a lot of ‘professional’ photographers who would love to work with a ‘Pro’ device.
    It would be fun to see Apples take on ultra high quality lenses, a technically challenging territory (and no dependency on Sony any more). 
    Do you know what the exact depth resolution is?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    knowitall said:

knowitall said:
    Interesting, I would love to see Apples processing power and sensors in a full fledged camera body  (I think Phil Schiller would love that) with a set of superior Apple lenses.
    There is not a high volume market for "full fledge camera body" cameras. Apple doesn't even make its own lenses. And no depth is captured at a lower resolution than the photo image. 
    I would be surprised if there wasn't. Not as much as iPhones but perhaps as much as Awatches.
    There are a lot of ‘professional’ photographers who would love to work with a ‘Pro’ device.
    It would be fun to see Apples take on ultra high quality lenses, a technically challenging territory (and no dependency on Sony any more). 
    "Disparity Maps on the iPhone XR are about 0.12 megapixels: 1/4 the resolution of the dual camera system".

There's an in-depth article here, one I think you'd find truly insightful based on your comments:
    https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xr-a-deep-dive-into-depth-47d36ae69a81
  • Reply 36 of 39
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    gatorguy said:
    knowitall said:

knowitall said:
    "Disparity Maps on the iPhone XR are about 0.12 megapixels: 1/4 the resolution of the dual camera system".

There's an in-depth article here, one I think you'd find truly insightful based on your comments:
    https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xr-a-deep-dive-into-depth-47d36ae69a81
    Thanks, I like that.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Your CCP at work!

I guess it all depends on which biased news source one relies on for an opinion. If USA Today is to be believed, farmers are angry and/or committing suicide over what is happening, but if one refers to the American Soybean Association’s web site, they’re pleased with the new agreement with Japan. In other words, there’s too much smoke in the air to draw a definitive picture of what’s really happening.

https://www.grainnet.com/article/177213/american-soybean-association-commends-trade-agreement-with-japan
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    ...but, my concern is that we need substantially better sensors to begin with. It’s not impossible. While the technology allows for high per pixel sharpness, color quality is compromised. So that’s not the answer. I have some ideas, but who knows what Apple, Canon and Sony are working on?
    It may be Samsung who breaks open the next level of smartphone photography. They've dabbled in photography for a number of years, and introduced innovative models that were praised in some circles. Now they've turned their attention back to inventing better camera modules and sensors such as the ISOCELL Bright HMX, the first fruits of their effort being expected this next year. 
    I’m not so sure about how good those sensors really are. There have been a number of cameras with supposedly superior high res sensors for smartphones before, and none have delivered pictures that came close to the promises. The biggest problem is still go8ng to be sensing site size. None of these new sensors do anything significant about that. All the techniques here are marginal, at best. Most of the photons are already captured in modern sensors. In addition, at these tiny sizes, they’ve reached the minimum site size that lenses can resolve. 

It will take a major rethink before we see a significant improvement without taking multiple exposures. And what they all do there is to read the noise over those multiple exposures and attempt to delete the constant per pixel noise from the resulting image, and then Bielefeld bin to a lower res to get the final result. It’s really down to how well they can read the noise exposure to exposure. The other problem is the random mouse from exposure. Until they figure out how to recognize that reliably, and subtract it, we’ll always have that problem.
  • Reply 39 of 39

tmay said:
    melgross said:

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Your CCP at work!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iowa-farmers-stick-with-trump-despite-trade-war-11565775003

Maybe I do read the wrong things.
    You do. That’s the WSJ, one of his biggest supporters, owned by Murdoch.