Here's why you're only getting 1% cash back with the Apple Card

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Also if you buy Apple hardware from Amazon you can get 5% off using their store card or the Amazon Chase card. Same with shopping at Whole Foods, 5% with Chase, only 2% with the Apple Card if you use Apple Pay. As far as music or app purchases, you're better off waiting for a 15% off iTunes card sale on eBay (PayPal Digital Gifts runs them on a regular basis, $100 for $85). Maximizing your savings has become an obstacle course!
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I was surprised that updating the default Apple Pay card to the Apple Card on my iPhone did not update the default Apple Pay card on my computer.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    FJERINA said:
    If I can get 5% rebate using my Amazon charge card for Apple products why would I settle for just 3% using the Apple card.  Come on Apple; get with the program.
    I prefer to buy direct from Apple, as someone already mentioned if you have an issue it’s easier if it’s all first party. And forget about accessories on Amazon, you have no idea if you’re going to get legit or knockoffs, judging by reviews. So, I’ve never bought Apple gear from Amazon. 

Also, your 5% doesn’t apply to the app store, itunes, icloud, upgrade program, etc. As usual, use the right card for the right job. Sounds like you like your Amazon card for Amazon purchases. Great. 
    It's boggling how shuffling credit cards was common sense and now that Apple has offered one we effectively have people claiming about their preferred credit card: it's got electrolytes.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Soli said:
    FJERINA said:
    If I can get 5% rebate using my Amazon charge card for Apple products why would I settle for just 3% using the Apple card.  Come on Apple; get with the program.
    I prefer to buy direct from Apple, as someone already mentioned if you have an issue it’s easier if it’s all first party. And forget about accessories on Amazon, you have no idea if you’re going to get legit or knockoffs, judging by reviews. So, I’ve never bought Apple gear from Amazon. 

Also, your 5% doesn’t apply to the app store, itunes, icloud, upgrade program, etc. As usual, use the right card for the right job. Sounds like you like your Amazon card for Amazon purchases. Great. 
    It's boggling how shuffling credit cards was common sense and now that Apple has offered one we effectively have people claiming about their preferred credit card: it's got electrolytes.
    It’s common sense until you have 4 different cards with 5 different rewards programs, plus the 4,000 different loyalty programs out there. Suddenly, you’re stuck weighing 10 different options for every purchase. In this sense, the Apple Card is nice - it has a good reward program. It may not be the best in every case, but it’s decent and by no means the worst, and it’s very easy to figure out.

Long ago I quit trying to game different cards for different purchases. I have a couple cards with decent rewards that I use for everything. The simplicity of only paying a couple accounts each month is worth the trade off for me.
    netmage
  • Reply 25 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    So you get gouged from 12.9% and up but you get 1% back on purchases and maybe more if you buy Apple stuff from Apple.

I already have a card with a 0.0% APR that goes to “regular” rates at the end of October. I already have offers for other cards at 0.0% APR. I am not in the habit of carrying a balance, but the thought of someone with good credit paying 12.9% and up is not enticing.

So exactly what is the BFD? I guess if you are an Apple fanboi it might have some attraction, but otherwise it is just another card from the Darth Vader of finance Goldman Sachs
  • Reply 26 of 38
    davgreg said:
    So you get gouged from 12.9% and up but you get 1% back on purchases and maybe more if you buy Apple stuff from Apple.

I already have a card with a 0.0% APR that goes to “regular” rates at the end of October. I already have offers for other cards at 0.0% APR. I am not in the habit of carrying a balance, but the thought of someone with good credit paying 12.9% and up is not enticing.

So exactly what is the BFD? I guess if you are an Apple fanboi it might have some attraction, but otherwise it is just another card from the Darth Vader of finance Goldman Sachs
    If you’re the kind of person that carries a large balance and keeps looking for 0% APRs so you can move your unpaid charges to new cards after the introductory APR of 0% expires, then a longterm CC is not for you. But you also aren’t getting 12.99% with what is surely a high balance on your crappy, pump-and-dump cards.
    edited September 2019 netmage
  • Reply 27 of 38
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Soli said:
    FJERINA said:

I have one credit card and one debit (checking account) card. I never understood have multiple cards unless you are addicted to shopping or have really bad credit. 
  • Reply 28 of 38
    In the long run, no one cares about the slick-looking card.  Bump the ApplePay discount to 2.5% and people will use ApplePay. 
  • Reply 29 of 38
    spice-boy said:
    Soli said:
    FJERINA said:

I have one credit card and one debit (checking account) card. I never understood have multiple cards unless you are addicted to shopping or have really bad credit. 
    You're absolutely fine if you have one CC, multiple CCs, or no CCs. I personally like Costco for their low-cost fuel which also gets me 4% back on fuel (up to $7000 per annum) and for 3% back on travel. Together—and only those two things—they account for over $1000 in cash annuals savings. Amazon, which I (unfortunately) still shop at, gets me 5% back.

My debit card, which I typically use for the rare instance of getting cash out of an ATM or the more common action of using with the Wallet app to move funds via debit card to Apple Cash to a different bank account via ACH, for a variety of reasons. I could just use ACH from those banks, but I find ACH from Apple Cash takes just a couple hours to complete.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    In the long run, no one cares about the slick-looking card.  Bump the ApplePay discount to 2.5% and people will use ApplePay. 
    If had done that then you people would complain it isn’t 3%.

2% for Apple Pay is fine. I and countless others use Apple Pay and NFC tap to pay, this and the 3% on apple products and services is just a nice extra. 
    netmage
  • Reply 31 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    spice-boy said:
    Soli said:
    FJERINA said:

There is one advantage to having multiple cards- part of your credit score is your debt utilization ratio. If you have and average balance of $1000 on your card(s) at any given time (even if you pay it off every month) and you have one card with a $10k limit, you’re using 10% of your credit. If you have 5 cards with a combined $50k limit, you’re only using 2%

Soli said:
    davgreg said:

If you’re the kind of person that carries a large balance and keeps looking for 0% APRs so you can move your unpaid charges to new cards after the introductory APR of 0% expires, then a longterm CC is not for you. But you also aren’t getting 12.99% with what is surely a high balance on your crappy, pump-and-dump cards.
    ...and what’s the ‘regular’ rate? Apple’s rates are generally competitive. They’re not the best on the market, but seem to be at worst average. Sure, you can find rates less than 12.9%, but they’re uncommon and usually don’t have rewards associated with them. Also, how did you (@davgreg) get the 0% interest rate? Most of the time it’s from a balance transfer offer and every balance transfer offer I have received has a fee associated with it, typically around 3%. 

With some exceptions, if you carry a balance you should be looking at your finances rather than getting another card. If you don’t carry an balance, the interest rate is meaningless anyway.
    netmage
  • Reply 32 of 38
    FJERINA said:
    Ok, so Amazon has to give away more money to get you to use their card (I have both). I’m reminded of the saying “Some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.”
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 38
    MplsP said:
    ...and what’s the ‘regular’ rate? Apple’s rates are generally competitive. They’re not the best on the market, but seem to be at worst average. Sure, you can find rates less than 12.9%, but they’re uncommon and usually don’t have rewards associated with them. Also, how did you (@davgreg) get the 0% interest rate? Most of the time it’s from a balance transfer offer and every balance transfer offer I have received has a fee associated with it, typically around 3%. 

With some exceptions, if you carry a balance you should be looking at your finances rather than getting another card. If you don’t carry an balance, the interest rate is meaningless anyway.
    Some people see that introductory 0% APR as attractive so they can carry a balance. I'm certainly not one of them, and it's fine that people want to take advantage of that perk, but it's odd that someone is on this forum comparing that to the regular APR of the Apple Card.

PS: I recently paid a credit card bill, but failed to pay in full. After realizing my issue I tried to pay the rest but it wouldn't allow me and I was unable to cancel the payment that was still processing. I called the creditor and they told me that I had to wait 3 days between payments (still not sure why), but that I could then pay off the remaining balance for that month's charges, and then call in have any interest charges refunded. I did… and they did. I hadn't realized that was a thing, but I also never carry a balance for more than 30 days so maybe that is common knowledge.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 34 of 38
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I don't understand why so many people play the 'I have THIS card' or 'THAT card' and 'my card does this.. So why would I want the Apple Card??" They act as though somebody is trying to get them to take the card against their will/ Geeze what idiots.

And they want to treat everybody who wants or has the AC as though they plan on carrying a balance. Every AC thread seems to end up the same way... 'Why would I want the Apple Card...??' is tedious and has become childish.
    netmage
  • Reply 35 of 38
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    lkrupp said:
    alanh said:
    To get the best deals on Apple hardware it’s often best to buy from a 3rd party reseller like B&H. You can save a lot more by doing that than the 3% offered by the card! 
    Well I come from an era when third party resellers were openly hostile to Apple products and tucked them away in the back corners of their stores. When Apple started opening its own stores those same resellers screamed bloody murder about being pushed out. Because of that experience I always buy my Apple products directly from Apple no matter the price difference. Just me.
    If you're willing to pay a lot more, no problem and congratulations on money not being an issue for you.  But B&H has a "Payboo" card in which they instantaneously refund the sales tax.   On a $3200 computer purchase, that's 8.875% in NYC or a $284 savings vs. $96 at 3% on the Apple Pay card.   B&H always treated Apple products well as did the defunct J&R, both independent NYC dealers.  It was the big chains, like COMP USA that presented Apple products badly and IMO, the big chains STILL present Apple badly.  
    netmage
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Besides not normally purchasing my Apple products from Apple any more do to waiting rather than first day purchases and no local Apple Store, one consideration is that other cards often offer an extended warranty and the Apple Card does not. If it offered AppleCare included with purchase that would be a lot more meaningful than 2% versus 3%.

Also, for those touting the 5% back from Amazon, that requires a Prime membership that is currently $119 per year - the Apple Card has no fees. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 37 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Next: Apple cryptocurrency? 
  • Reply 38 of 38
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Apple Care or an extended warranty from the Apple Card would be huge. But Apple isn't trying to sell more gear, they're trying to get Apple Pay used more, to be more recognized.

The PayBoo card is also a big deal. For me, it'll be 10% back. With my luck with Apple kit, that's better than Apple Care, or anybody else's double the warranty card.
    gatorguy