Adobe's new Fresco iPad app is designed for all skill levels

Posted:
in General Discussion
Adobe has launched Adobe Fresco, a painting and drawing app for the iPad that the company designed after asking what the general populace wanted in an art app.

Adobe Fresco

Adobe, the software developer of choice for most creative professionals, is branching out. Instead of marketing exclusively to creative professionals, a large portion of Adobe's energy into marketing Fresco has been directed toward hobbyists.

During development, Adobe surveyed over 2500 adults and found out that 68% of them wished that they were more creative. In their survey, they found that lack of time and inspiration were the most limiting factors impacting their ability to be creative. Additionally, they found that about 40% of U.S. adults prefer creating on their mobile device, such as an iPad, rather than their laptop or desktop.

Armed with that knowledge, Adobe came up with Adobe Fresco. Fresco features a far less intimidating layout compared to programs like Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. A simple toolbar on the side and plenty of room in the center gives users the ability to see what they're working on with less distractions.

Adobe Fresco includes thousands of brushes designed to emulate traditional and digital media alike. Adobe Sensei, Adobe's machine learning and artificial intelligence software, has been employed to help make Fresco's traditional media brushes behave the way real-world media does. Adobe Fresco also features vector brushes, giving users the ability to design infinitely scalable images, useful for designers who may need to print artwork in a wide range of sizes.

Anyone who works within the Adobe ecosystem will also be able to easily transfer Fresco files to and from Photoshop for maximum portability. Adobe Fresco can also access any brushes, colors, and content libraries stores within a user's Creative Cloud profile.

Fresco seems to be primarily aimed at competing with the highly-lauded and well-established art app Procreate, while hoping to cash in on the Adobe brand prestige and name.

Adobe Fresco is available for the Pad Pro, iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5, or a fifth or sixth-generation iPad running iOS 12.4 and later. Users who are subscribed to select Adobe Creative Cloud can get Adobe Fresco for free, or can be purchased as a $9.99 per month standalone app.

AppleInsider will be examining it in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    $120 for a year’s use of an app intended for hobbyists... Just a reminder why I ditched Adobe products years ago.
    bonobobdoozydozenchasmrazorpitargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    georgie01 said:
    $120 for a year’s use of an app intended for hobbyists... Just a reminder why I ditched Adobe products years ago.
    oh its not intended just for hobbyists.  The features that those who are hobbyists would want to do are available for free.   The more advanced features are available for the subscription...but if you even have just the Photoshop single app subscription,  all of Fresco's premium features are available.  
    mike1BoJacksonh2pwlymfastasleepforgot username
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Procreate.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    georgie01 said:
    oh its not intended just for hobbyists.  The features that those who are hobbyists would want to do are available for free.   The more advanced features are available for the subscription...but if you even have just the Photoshop single app subscription,  all of Fresco's premium features are available.  
    This price is just insane for non adobe cloud users...... 10 bucks a month for renting software while procreate 5 is around the corner. I was pretty hyped about this app but Adobe killed my love today with these retarded prices.
    bonobobchasmargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Hot garbage for $10/mo when Procreate is a one-time flat $10. Only CC users will use this app, everyone else (including a lot of CC users) will stick to Procreate.
    chasmforgot username
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I close the door so hard when I saw the price. Procreate here I come. 
    bonobobargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Adobe's applications are a flustercluck. Seven (poorly written) apps that all seem to do the same thing.
    forgot username
  • Reply 8 of 10
    As I was reading my eyes were scanning ahead and saw the $9.99 price.  For a brief moment I thought there might possibly be an Adobe product I was interested in again (after being an "old days" Photoshop owner, back when we purchased a license to use our software, not rent).  Then I got to the actual line that said "per month" and gagged.  $10 for en entry-level hobbyist art app might be on the light side, but makes sense.  $10/month for a hobbyist or casual user, more like WTF?

No thanks.  No software subscriptions.  Ever.  Adobe, you just keep getting worse.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 9 of 10
    $9.99 a month? No way that can be justified considering the competition. Absolutely bonkers. 

For the record, the apps Procreate, Art Set and Sketch Club are each different and interesting in their own right and they are fantastic for both pro and amateur level artwork.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ArpL said:
    Hot garbage for $10/mo when Procreate is a one-time flat $10. Only CC users will use this app, everyone else (including a lot of CC users) will stick to Procreate.
    As soon as a credible competitor to Illustrator is created, Adobe misses out on the entire migration to iOS. There are already some neat possible Photoshop on iOS replacements (considering Adobe’s entree hasn’t even been served yet).