Apple releases iOS and iPadOS 13.1.1 updates with third-party keyboard fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    applguy said:

In the App Store where do I go to see what apps need to be updated? (Auto update is off)

The update button seems to have been replaced with Arcade. 
    You click on your username avatar, upper right corner of screen.
    OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 22 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,456member
    I just wait for Apple to push the update out, and I just tap on update overnight. I suspect this isn’t going to happen until late October or early November this year.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    lkrupp said:

ElCapitan said:
    It still keeps nagging to update Apple ID. 
    Also Touch ID is erratic but now at least it recognizes the fingerprint about  70 percent of the time. 
    For you personally maybe, not the majority of users. 
    Yeah, I am sure they made a personal nag for me. – What a dumb reply you posted!

Was cleared by deleting the apple id in question and add it back, but that should not be required. More attention to core system integrity and functionality, and less attention to anatomically correct emojis would be a good place to start. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 24 of 61
    frantisek said:
    lol what a two completely opposite comments.
    I'll give you a 3rd one to laugh about: I don't update. Because with every update that fixes bugs new bugs get released as well. I mean, what's the bloody point? Sure, features get added as well. But that's mostly stuff I turn off after having tried them for a few days and I just don't use them. Handoff, 3D Touch, battery saver, Screen Time, Dark Mode, et cetera.
    Security is one bloody point, which was the focus of this update. Otherwise feel free to disable the useful features and reduce the usefulness your device. 
    Security? Have you ever met someone who has had an issue with security a security breach on iOS? Sure I read about threads, fixes, patches, but never have I heard of a friend or acquaintance about a breach. As for features, they may be useful to some, but not all people.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ElCapitan said:
    lkrupp said:

ElCapitan said:
    Also Touch ID is erratic but now at least it recognizes the fingerprint about  70 percent of the time. 
    Yeah, I am sure they made a personal nag for me. – What a dumb reply you posted!

Was cleared by deleting the apple id in question and add it back, but that should not be required. More attention to core system integrity and functionality, and less attention to anatomically correct emojis would be a good place to start. 
    Then why haven’t the rest of us had to do what you had to? Why is that an individual assumes every glitch they experience must be a bug that is affecting everyone else. I guess it’s because if you alone are experiencing it then it points to something else not related to the update. That no one else had to delete their Apple ID and re-enter it should be telling you that your personal experience was a fluke glitch and not some bug in the update. But no, you came to say it was the update itself that caused this and it’s all Apple’s fault.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 26 of 61
    dysamoria said:
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:
    What an embarrassing release for a major new iOS (and yes, I’m refusing to call every version of iOS by a separate name).

Exactly what is embarrassing?  I haven't seen any gripe worth noting about this v13 upgrade.  I've upgraded my iOS devices and have had zero issues.  If you're having issues with an update coming not long after v13 was release, then please enlighten us on any OS upgrade of any competitor that has been perfect since day one and has never had to have an update issued to it.  Sounds like your standards are a wee bit too high.

That's not to say that iOS 11 (I think) was probably the worse upgrade I've ever seen... other than that, I myself have never had issues with any of the other ones, let alone installing updates not long after their release.
    He just hates everything about Apple and wants to be 100% sure we all never hear the end of it. A real ray of sunshine. 
    Oh please. No one needs you’re hyperbolic drama generation. You clearly haven’t paid attention to my posts if you believe that about me.

I don’t “hate everything Apple”. I have great respect for the Apple of 2005 to 2012 (and was a passive admirer for years prior). In 2013, things started going very wrong at Apple. iOS 7 is a perfect example of the issues that appeared in Apple corporate culture at that time, have not improved, and have gotten worse since. Apple have done good things since 2013, but not like they used to. The level of QA and robustness in their products has become embarrassing, at least to the Apple-admirer that I became around 2006.

As an admirer of Apple, I will offer criticism of what I see that they’re doing wrong; you don’t have to agree. I’m quite eager to see Apple get back to their former excellence. I’m not seeing any sign that this will happen any time soon.

Maybe the leadership just isn’t there. Tim Cook isn’t detail oriented, where the product is concerned, and we have all known this for years now (he’s all about supply chain, and he clearly doesn’t do much with actual Apple products himself, or he would see how clumsy and buggy things are... unless he’s one of those end user types who thinks that everything and anything tech companies make is great because they don’t know any better). The only thing I like about him is his social politics, and that’s the thing most of the commentators here attack him for, ha.

I don’t know where the hell else better leadership might come from, either, since CEOs generally get traded laterally between corporations and we’ve seen that only one guy had the right focus and vision at Apple. I’m certain there are people with “Jobsian” vision left in the world, but they aren’t necessarily in the pool of corporate executives currently swimming in the corporate tank, and certainly not in the computer industry.

Sigh. I’m just wasting my time with this comment...
    I almost edited my comment to say "everything about post-Jobs Apple", and I guess I should've.

I've read quite a few of your comments. You're in a tiny minority who actually believes that everything is "clumsy and buggy" and "embarrassing" etc. Just yesterday or the day before you were ranting about how stupid Apple was for the new three finger undo/redo gestures and how it prevents playing polyphonic synths on the iPad. I went and checked no less than half a dozen polyphonic synth apps and had zero issues. I've seen you list other complaints that were not even real issues and seemed like you hadn't put in the time to actually learn how to use certain gestures, etc. You're still complaining about iOS 7 (!) which came out SIX years ago and is long gone! And always with how they won't make Macs that customers want, and on and on. Yet, they've continued to sell many millions of Macs and have the highest customer satisfaction rate in the market and you're the one clinging to a 10 year old Mac and bitching. It's tiresome. 

You have the right to voice your opinions, as do I. And, I'm not sure why you think you know which generation I'm a part of, but I'd argue you're being the hyperbolic/dramatic one here. 
    shark5150agilealtitudechia
  • Reply 27 of 61
    iOS 13 is phenomenal, bring on the updates.
  • Reply 28 of 61

apple ][ said:
    frantisek said:
    Some people choose to see the glass half full, while others choose to see it half empty.

I don't see this is a big deal.

I updated to iOS 13 on all of my devices recently and it's been working good. I especially am liking iPad OS. It's the most significant change to the iPad that I can remember, and I've seen ALL of the iPad updates since the beginning. It's made the iPad even more capable than before. I like how you can fit even more icons on the home screen now. There are many huge changes and great features that have been added.

So, there is another small update to fix some sort of third party keyboard flaw? So what? I don't see the big deal. It's a good thing that Apple is on top of things and can push out a new fix so quickly.

I see the glass twice as big as it needs to be. 

To people on this forum it’s no big deal and why we choose Apple devices, to get bugs fixed as fast as possible. To “normies” like my wife however they see it as a bit tedious and I get an eye roll every time I tell her she needs to update. Especially when it’s three times in two weeks.  
    Yeah, pressing an update button and being without Instagram for 5-10 minutes is really disruptive. But in reality, if you just turn on Automatic Updates, it'll do just that overnight.
    edited September 2019 PetrolDave
  • Reply 29 of 61

M68000 said:
    The iTunes on my Mojave Macbook is still stuck at iOS 13.0 being available.  It did not know about 13.1 and now doesn't know about 13.1.1    oh well...
    Why are you using iTunes?
  • Reply 30 of 61

M68000 said:
    The iTunes on my Mojave Macbook is still stuck at iOS 13.0 being available.  It did not know about 13.1 and now doesn't know about 13.1.1    oh well...
    It does a backup of the phone in case it gets bricked
    philboogie
  • Reply 31 of 61
    frantisek said:
    I'll give you a 3rd one to laugh about: I don't update. Because with every update that fixes bugs new bugs get released as well. I mean, what's the bloody point? Sure, features get added as well. But that's mostly stuff I turn off after having tried them for a few days and I just don't use them. Handoff, 3D Touch, battery saver, Screen Time, Dark Mode, et cetera.
    Security is one bloody point, which was the focus of this update. Otherwise feel free to disable the useful features and reduce the usefulness your device. 
    Security? Have you ever met someone who has had an issue with security a security breach on iOS? Sure I read about threads, fixes, patches, but never have I heard of a friend or acquaintance about a breach. As for features, they may be useful to some, but not all people.
    No, because I assume most of my friends update their software. You also wouldn't always necessarily know if you have a security breach on your device. How do YOU know you don't have some nefarious app exfiltrating your data without alerting you?

The fix today included "Third party app extensions may not receive the correct sandbox restrictions" as well as giving permission to third party keyboards without user approval which is exactly the kind of thing that reduces that exact possibility.

Also, "
    issues that could prevent the device restoring from a backup, and a patch on a problem that could cause the battery to drain too quickly. It also resolves a problem in Safari where search suggestions may re-enable after being turned off, and a problem that could cause Reminders to synchronize too slowly." which are all things I'd want fixed on my device.

I don't know why you'd opt out of any of this stuff, but you do you and stick with unfixed and insecure software in defiance of common sense. 
  • Reply 32 of 61
    M68000 said:

M68000 said:
    Yeah, but just do your backup in iTunes and then just check your Settings > General > Software Update on the device for your update.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    applguy said:

In the App Store where do I go to see what apps need to be updated? (Auto update is off)

The update button seems to have been replaced with Arcade. 
    Click on your user icon in the very top right corner of the app store screen and that will take you to a list of all your apps, and you can update from there.
    OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 34 of 61
    M68000 said:

M68000 said:
    Yeah, but just do your backup in iTunes and then just check your Settings > General > Software Update on the device for your update.
    Yeah,  but if I use iTunes there is less chance of junk left over installer stuff being left on phone and taking up space.  I can’t prove it wastes space but decided a long time ago to use iTunes because of such a thing
  • Reply 35 of 61
    For what it's worth,  there are comments on youtube videos and comments to those videos of people's iPhones running hotter than before with iOS 13.x.x.  One of the videos is including the new 11 phones as running noticeably hot.  If that is indeed true, that would be very troubling as heat is an enemy of electronics.  It would imply increased CPU/GPU going on, I guess.   I'm usually quick to update but starting to think I will be sitting this one out for a month at least and stay on 12.4.1 until some news breaks on all this stuff one way or the other.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 36 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    M68000 said:
    For what it's worth,  there are comments on youtube videos and comments to those videos of people's iPhones running hotter than before with iOS 13.x.x.  One of the videos is including the new 11 phones as running noticeably hot.  If that is indeed true, that would be very troubling as heat is an enemy of electronics.  It would imply increased CPU/GPU going on, I guess.   I'm usually quick to update but starting to think I will be sitting this one out for a month at least and stay on 12.4.1 until some news breaks on all this stuff one way or the other.
    Those kinds of reports surface with every, single, solitary update. People always complain initially about battery drain, overheating, etc., like clockwork. And guess what? Nothing ever comes of it. They disappear without a trace... until the next update appears. Go ahead and sit it out if you are concerned but I can guaran-damn-tee you that increased battery drain and alleged overheating are fleeting ghosts.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:
    lkrupp said:

ElCapitan said:

Then why haven’t the rest of us had to do what you had to? Why is that an individual assumes every glitch they experience must be a bug that is affecting everyone else. I guess it’s because if you alone are experiencing it then it points to something else not related to the update. That no one else had to delete their Apple ID and re-enter it should be telling you that your personal experience was a fluke glitch and not some bug in the update. But no, you came to say it was the update itself that caused this and it’s all Apple’s fault.

MplsP
  • Reply 38 of 61
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

M68000 said:
    Yeah,  but if I use iTunes there is less chance of junk left over installer stuff being left on phone and taking up space.  I can’t prove it wastes space but decided a long time ago to use iTunes because of such a thing
    Junk? Could you please elaborate on that?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    fastasleep said:

No, because I assume most of my friends update their software. You also wouldn't always necessarily know if you have a security breach on your device. How do YOU know you don't have some nefarious app exfiltrating your data without alerting you?

The fix today included "Third party app extensions may not receive the correct sandbox restrictions" as well as giving permission to third party keyboards without user approval which is exactly the kind of thing that reduces that exact possibility.

Also, "issues that could prevent the device restoring from a backup, and a patch on a problem that could cause the battery to drain too quickly. It also resolves a problem in Safari where search suggestions may re-enable after being turned off, and a problem that could cause Reminders to synchronize too slowly." which are all things I'd want fixed on my device.

I don't know why you'd opt out of any of this stuff, but you do you and stick with unfixed and insecure software in defiance of common sense. 
    I don't update because in spite of bug fixes one gets new bugs. If that wasn't the case, at some point there wouldn't be any bugs to fix. I get a newer version of iOS when I buy a new iOS device. Yup, that comes with bugs. I guess it's just inherent to software, though as a non developer I don't understand why they can't create bug-free software.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    ElCapitan said:
    Try another finger. Every time I restring my guitars and bases it stops recognizing my thumb. My wife couldn’t use Touch ID at all, turned up her index finger was constantly calloused by kitchen work, now touch ID works perfectly with her other fingers.
    philboogie