Review: The 10.2-inch iPad is more of the same, and that's not a bad thing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Since the iPad 10.2 has 3 GB of RAM, I think that means support for the next 4 to 5 major OS versions.

The compute performance in A9 and A10 SoCs is such that RAM is basically the only real limiter now. 2 GB memory is probably the next line for dropping support, but I don’t think this will happen until iOS 15. 

Fully expecting to see iOS 14 support my 6S Plus. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Was considering it for my parents (68 and 73) to replace their iPad Air 2s, but the non laminated screen has me going with  Air 3s instead.   While they probably do not need the speed difference or the other improvements the Air 3 has, the 10.2 would be a step backwards for them in screen quality.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    azentropy said:
    Was considering it for my parents (68 and 73) to replace their iPad Air 2s, but the non laminated screen has me going with  Air 3s instead.   While they probably do not need the speed difference or the other improvements the Air 3 has, the 10.2 would be a step backwards for them in screen quality.
    Even though it's $170 USD more than the iPad, the iPad Air 3 represents the sweet spot & the best value in Apple's iPad lineup as of right now.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    ratsrats Posts: 21member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The slow processor is the most interesting thing about these new iPads. 

Historically, Apple always puts their latest chips in new devices, even "low-end" devices like consumer iPads and most notably the iPod Touch. For years analysts would predict that Apple would put slower chips in these units (presumably to save on costs, or to differentiate the lines). Instead they'd get the latest and greatest, but then stay on the shelf without updates for several years at a time.

This pattern finally broke the the latest release of the iPod Touch, and now these new iPads. The old chips are now "fast enough" and the new chips presumably too expensive. This change in strategy was inevitable, but nonetheless disappointing. 
    This is why there are 3 groups of CPUs for iPads, although not sure why the iPad Air exists when the Pro models are heavily discounted, consistently. Going back to the A10, it's plenty powerful for its price range, a great display, great battery life, and Geekbench 4 score of 6000. Oh and it hangs with the A13 in video rendering, INSANE: