Are AirPods challenged by Surface Buds & will the iPhone SE return on the AppleInsider Pod...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and William hear that the iPhone SE will come back, and wonder whether these Microsoft Surface Buds have something Apple's missing out on.

Phone SE
Apple's going to learn whether people liked the price or the diminutive size of the iPhone SE more

AppleInsider editor Victor Marks and writer extraordinaire William Gallagher discuss:

• 2020 iPhone rumors: the return of the iPhone SE
  • Microsoft announces a Surface Laptop 3 in 13- and 15-inch sizes with a good keyboard
  • Microsoft announces a folding Android device -- that has no release date -- and an ARM based Windows Surface Pro.
  • and most interestingly, Surface Buds. Are they like AirPods?
  • Apple removed HKmap.live from the App Store, but allowed Waze to remain.
  • Sign on With Apple is improving, and OpenID Foundation is mostly pleased (but has a few suggestions)
We like reader email -- send us your comments and concerns!.

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Check out our sponsors: Show notes: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @wgallagher and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    NO.
    n2itivguyAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 4
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    SurfacePods will outsell AirPods.

Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I have a question for you guys to consider: Imagine the iPhone 12 comes out, and it's really nice and you want it- BUT, there's one catch: you're not allowed to put it in your pants pockets EVER. You can only carry it in a handbag, backpack, fanny pack, etc. Would you keep your iPhone 11, or would you upgrade? -------- I have an iPhone SE because I'm a woman with small hands, and it FITS IN MY POCKETS. If they update the SE 2 in a larger form factor, it will literally not fit in my pants anymore. TouchID works fast and everything is responsive. I know a lot of women do have bigger phones, too- but I like feeling it ring on silent, I like not having to bring a handbag everywhere, I like that it would be harder to pickpocket it out of my zipped pocket than it is to swipe a handbag. I can access everything ONE-HANDED. Oh and there's a headphone plug. It even fits in those tiny leggings side pockets! Heck, if I happen to be wearing something without pockets, I can even stick it in my bra. -------- The iPhone 11 weighs significantly more and is almost one cm FATTER. That crap is useless to me, it might as well literally be a brick. 194g? Has the world gone completely nuts? My camping mattress is lighter! For an EDC device, that is heavy. -------- I hope they'll keep the SE 2 small, but I suspect they wont. They'll go with the 6, 7 or 8 form, and the people who liked the small form will probably cling to their SE 1's as long as possible. I know I would since, again, I like having a phone that I can bloody put in my pockets. The tech industry and the women's clothing industry need to be locked in a room together. Please observe the women in your lives with their large phones- they're constantly sticking out of their pockets, they constantly have to rearrange where the phone is so that they can sit down, or they have to root around in their bags. THIS IS NUTS! I'm officially a bitter feminist about this. We just bloody want to put our phones in our pockets. -------- Currently, the SE is the only iOS device that makes this possible. The fact that they discontinued the SE before releasing the SE 2 is a slap in the face.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    I have a question for you guys to consider: Imagine the iPhone 12 comes out, and it's really nice and you want it- BUT, there's one catch: you're not allowed to put it in your pants pockets EVER. You can only carry it in a handbag, backpack, fanny pack, etc. Would you keep your iPhone 11, or would you upgrade? -------- I have an iPhone SE because I'm a woman with small hands, and it FITS IN MY POCKETS. If they update the SE 2 in a larger form factor, it will literally not fit in my pants anymore. TouchID works fast and everything is responsive. I know a lot of women do have bigger phones, too- but I like feeling it ring on silent, I like not having to bring a handbag everywhere, I like that it would be harder to pickpocket it out of my zipped pocket than it is to swipe a handbag. I can access everything ONE-HANDED. Oh and there's a headphone plug. It even fits in those tiny leggings side pockets! Heck, if I happen to be wearing something without pockets, I can even stick it in my bra. -------- The iPhone 11 weighs significantly more and is almost one cm FATTER. That crap is useless to me, it might as well literally be a brick. 194g? Has the world gone completely nuts? My camping mattress is lighter! For an EDC device, that is heavy. -------- I hope they'll keep the SE 2 small, but I suspect they wont. They'll go with the 6, 7 or 8 form, and the people who liked the small form will probably cling to their SE 1's as long as possible. I know I would since, again, I like having a phone that I can bloody put in my pockets. The tech industry and the women's clothing industry need to be locked in a room together. Please observe the women in your lives with their large phones- they're constantly sticking out of their pockets, they constantly have to rearrange where the phone is so that they can sit down, or they have to root around in their bags. THIS IS NUTS! I'm officially a bitter feminist about this. We just bloody want to put our phones in our pockets. -------- Currently, the SE is the only iOS device that makes this possible. The fact that they discontinued the SE before releasing the SE 2 is a slap in the face.
    I would like to suggest that the clothing industry could start by giving you pockets that could actually hold things. (I know you wrote that you can put the iPhone SE in the side pockets of leggings. I believe it, but there's room for improvement.)

The iPhone 11 isn't 1cm thicker than an iPhone SE, but it's definitely taller and wider, which makes it harder to fit a pocket. The weight isn't terrible in personal experience, although I have gone through a number of cases to avoid ones that make it feel bulkier or heavier. I definitely appreciate things that are lighter. (I've even gone to weighing sunglasses to be able to pick the lightest frames. I know. It's a problem.)

Apple is going to find out whether people who bought the SE bought it for size, or bought it for cost. I think they're hoping it was cost. While they know a number of women put the phone in their back pockets, I don't know if they've given consideration for people who store it elsewhere. I think they also might recommend the watch to lighten the load on some of these uses. I think it's safe to bet that FaceID isn't going away. Apple's running adverts claiming it's more secure than TouchID, so reverting to it would be awkward.