How to create a bootable macOS Catalina installer on a USB drive

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    lkrupp said:
    TTEsty said:
    Catalina is the buggiest system I ever loaded on a computer. Small but annoying problem; Can't update Apps, can't download Apps, changes Mail.
    So no, Catalina is not the buggiest system ever loaded onto a computer 
    That's not what he said. [emphasis mine]
  • Reply 22 of 29
    This story needs to be updated..   
    Catalina no longer offers to download the update.   It says that it is not found...
    Apple must have changed something...

edited October 2019
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Had problem with copy and paste. Enter it manually, then it works! 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Guys, I'm already at CATALINA but I bought a new SSD hard drive and I want to create a bootable pendrive, to install on this new HD. However, when I download it from the Apple Store he says he has nothing to download (since the OS is already updated). That way, I don't know how to proceed to create a bootable USB stick! Any tips? Thanks!!!
  • Reply 25 of 29
    hobs0nhobs0n Posts: 2member
    I need help! Ive downloaded both "macOS High Sierra [Geekrar].dmg" and "macOS High Sierra 10.13 by Geekrar.vmdk" and Im trying to create a clean USB bootable install so I can wipe y Macbook Pro and do a fresh High Sierra install. Ive tried both Disk Creator, Diskmaker x 7 (for High sierra) and Diskmaker x  9 (for Catalina) but I cant find a correct effing osx installer! Disk Creator says "It is lacking the file "Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg"  . What to do ??? Why cant OsX by as easy to use as Linux?!... sigh
  • Reply 26 of 29
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    hobs0n said:
    I need help! Ive downloaded both "macOS High Sierra [Geekrar].dmg" and "macOS High Sierra 10.13 by Geekrar.vmdk" and Im trying to create a clean USB bootable install so I can wipe y Macbook Pro and do a fresh High Sierra install. Ive tried both Disk Creator, Diskmaker x 7 (for High sierra) and Diskmaker x  9 (for Catalina) but I cant find a correct effing osx installer! Disk Creator says "It is lacking the file "Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg"  . What to do ??? Why cant OsX by as easy to use as Linux?!... sigh

Can't you download the installer directly from Apple? You can find the MacOS High Sierra from the App Store.

Couldn't you boot into Recovery mode and wipe the drive via Disk Utility and then reinstall MacOS this way?

Once you download the installer from the App Store, you can use DiskMaker to create the USB installer if you want to do it this way.

Hope this helps.
    edited July 2020 hobs0n
  • Reply 27 of 29
    lcmnunes said:
    Guys, I'm already at CATALINA but I bought a new SSD hard drive and I want to create a bootable pendrive, to install on this new HD. However, when I download it from the Apple Store he says he has nothing to download (since the OS is already updated). That way, I don't know how to proceed to create a bootable USB stick! Any tips? Thanks!!!

You should be able to clone your current drive to your new SSD if you wish to go this route via Carbon Copy Cloner. They have a free trial available.
    If you want to install MacOS from scratch on the new SSD, you can do so by going to the App Store and downloading the installer for MacOS Catalina. On my system running MacOS Catalina when I clicked Get, it opened Software Update and said are you sure you wish to download MacOS Catalina 10.15.5. When I clicked download it proceeded to download the full 8gb installer. I canceled the download since I didn't need it but tested it for you. See screenshot.

Hope this helps.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 28 of 29
    hobs0nhobs0n Posts: 2member
    Nopes, I can´t. It says after 2-3sec: "Cannot connect to the App Store". Ive also tried downloading a ISO of High Sierra from some pages but DiskMaker X 7 says: "This file can´t be used to create an OS X Installation disk" and Install Disk Creator says: "The selected item does not appear to be a valid macOS installer. It is lacking file "Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg,"

So I´m kinda stumped here, what to do ? I´m sick of Catalina, it is slower, instable and 32bits doesn´t work.

dr. x said:

Can't you download the installer directly from Apple? You can find the MacOS High Sierra from the App Store.

Couldn't you boot into Recovery mode and wipe the drive via Disk Utility and then reinstall MacOS this way?

Once you download the installer from the App Store, you can use DiskMaker to create the USB installer if you want to do it this way.

Hope this helps.

• Reply 29 of 29
    hobs0n said:
    Nopes, I can´t. It says after 2-3sec: "Cannot connect to the App Store". Ive also tried downloading a ISO of High Sierra from some pages but DiskMaker X 7 says: "This file can´t be used to create an OS X Installation disk" and Install Disk Creator says: "The selected item does not appear to be a valid macOS installer. It is lacking file "Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg,"

So I´m kinda stumped here, what to do ? I´m sick of Catalina, it is slower, instable and 32bits doesn´t work.

dr. x said:

Hope this helps.

Alright, let's try this. MacOS Mojave was the last operating system to support 32-bit applications assuming your Mac can support it. I tried downloading High Sierra on my own Mac and I got an error when the download was finishing so tried to download Mojave and it worked. Are you able to download MacOS Mojave? Also, try the link in Safari as I got the same message "couldn't connect to app store" when trying the app store link in Firefox. Download link for Mojave from Apple. You could try to see if you are able to download High Sierra as well. I decided to upload the installer of MacOS Mojave for you that I got directly from the app store. Download MacOS Mojave.

I hope this helps and let me know if this works.