'iPhone SE 2' with A13 will cost $399 says Ming-Chi Kuo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    $399 price is too good to be true. iPhone 8 has proven success; so with all upgrades and price point, SE2 will be more success than expected against nay-sayers. Many of us still love that perfect TouchID.
    In 2022 Spring, there will be SE3 with OLED screen and Apple integrated 5G on SOC with TouchID.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    entropys said:
    It isn’t an SE if it is iPhone 8 sized. That would b an iPhone 8c.
    Wrong.

The SE is about its price point. It has absolutely nothing to do with size. This is a delusion harbored by SE fanatics.
    It has everything to do with size. Let me explain this way. My iOS device is larger than every single iPhone ever made. It is the larger iPad Pro. I am not opposed to large screens, just not on my phone which I keep with me. I waited years for Apple to finally come to its senses and offer an iPhone in a size that was not a phablet wannabe. I like the size and feel of the iPhone SE. The price is NOT an issue.

Just to be clear on the size issue I would prefer an iPad larger than the one I have now. I would also prefer a phone a bit smaller than my iPhoneSE (with smaller bezels). Price is not the important factor.
    designrjust cruisin
  • Reply 43 of 67

My guess is that it will not feature a glass back and hence no wireless charging.
    I realize the cow is out of the barn and it isn’t coming back but what we have is NOT wireless charging. It is inductive charging. Wifi is wireless. You just have to be in the vicinity of the wifi hot spot to have network access. You don’t have the ‘glue’ your device to a pad in order to access a network. Inductive charging requires physical connection to your device (e.g. my Apple Watch). It is still connected, there just isn’t a connector and socket.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 44 of 67
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    dunks said:
    They will probably call it an iPhone 8S. The numeral 8 and red colour seem like low effort ways to appeal to the Chinese market.
    Why not 8C with casing made from 100% recycled or bio-plastics?
    Robustness will appeal in many markets which is why you still see 5C phones arround. 
    just cruisin
  • Reply 45 of 67
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    sdbryan said:

My guess is that it will not feature a glass back and hence no wireless charging.
    I realize the cow is out of the barn and it isn’t coming back but what we have is NOT wireless charging. It is inductive charging. Wifi is wireless. You just have to be in the vicinity of the wifi hot spot to have network access. You don’t have the ‘glue’ your device to a pad in order to access a network. Inductive charging requires physical connection to your device (e.g. my Apple Watch). It is still connected, there just isn’t a connector and socket.
    Still 'connected' though but without a 'cable'. Hence 'wireless' charging.

It is true that some charging mats have cables going to the wall socket but others don't (being integrated into furniture, car dashboards etc or when a device is reverse wireless charging).

The term is fine in current usage and is widespread, making the term 'inductive charging' less appealing in spite of it being correct.

For me, the SE was a small form factor, affordable phone with some 'new' components (as opposed to 'last year's components').

That was the spirit of the device and if this rumoured device continues with that spirit, I think the move will be correct. The price would also be a winner.

edited October 2019
  • Reply 46 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    sdbryan said:

It is true that some charging mats have cables going to the wall socket but others don't (being integrated into furniture, car dashboards etc or when a device is reverse wireless charging).

The term is fine in current usage and is widespread, making the term 'inductive charging' less appealing in spite of it being correct.

For me, the SE was a small form factor, affordable phone with some 'new' components (as opposed to 'last year's components').

That was the spirit of the device and if this rumoured device continues with that spirit, I think the move will be correct. The price would also be a winner.

The limiting factor of today's phones is not the processor -- an A10 obviously has plenty of power because Apple continues to market it.   The limiting factors are screen size and external form size.   That's why it makes no sense to me to limit screen size by surrounding it with useless bezels that only make the external form larger but offer no functional value.   The iPhone 8 is obsolete in every way -- inside and out.   Sticking a newer processor into it is simply putting lipstick on a pig and beneath what Apple stands for.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 67
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    wood1208 said:
     there will be SE3 with OLED screen and Apple integrated 5G on SOC with TouchID.
    That's even more ridiculous than calling an iPhone 8 form factor with incremental upgrades an SE2. By your logic, an iPhone 11Pro is just an SE with more features in a bigger form factor!

Wait, say you for got the /sarc tag. Yeah, that's the ticket.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    designr said:
    I suspect it is iPhone 8 (form factor) with iPhone 11 guts (no Face ID, single camera). Drop the current 8. Priced at $399 (64GB) to $499 (128GB).

designr said:
    I suspect it is iPhone 8 (form factor) with iPhone 11 guts (no Face ID, single camera). Drop the current 8. Priced at $399 (64GB) to $499 (128GB).

So not exactly iPhone 11 guts, more like a gutted iPhone 11. It'll start at $449 minimum, not $399.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    GeorgeBMac said:
    What they need is a modern phone the size of the 11 Pro or smaller (SE sized would be nice) -- but with a bevel-less screen.
    Uh, no. NOBODY needs that. The point of everybody asking for an SE-form factor for the rumored 'SE2' is the size. People wanting a cheaper won't really care about the form factor. Two different camps.

I would like a bezel-less screen but would be very happy with even the current screen, if it meant keeping the SE2 to an SE form factor.

IF I have to carry a phone the size of a 11Pro, I might as well just get an 11 Pro. Or an 8. But I won't as long as my SE works. The only way I'll get rid of it is if Apple makes an actual SE2 or I succumb to the Dark Side and get an 11P.
    Chidoro
  • Reply 50 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    What they need is a modern phone the size of the 11 Pro or smaller (SE sized would be nice) -- but with a bevel-less screen.
    Uh, no. NOBODY needs that. The point of everybody asking for an SE-form factor for the rumored 'SE2' is the size. People wanting a cheaper won't really care about the form factor. Two different camps.

I would like a bezel-less screen but would be very happy with even the current screen, if it meant keeping the SE2 to an SE form factor.

IF I have to carry a phone the size of a 11Pro, I might as well just get an 11 Pro. Or an 8. But I won't as long as my SE works. The only way I'll get rid of it is if Apple makes an actual SE2 or I succumb to the Dark Side and get an 11P.
    What?
    Right now the 11 Pro is the smallest Apple makes.   And, as I said:  "the size of the 11 Pro or smaller (SE sized would be nice) -- but with a bevel-less screen".   Actually, in your hand, the 11 Pro is not a lot bigger than the SE -- but the screen is MUCH bigger.  Don't confuse screen size with phone size -- although it seems that most seem to conflate the two.  

• Reply 51 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Edit: I think I’m wrong actually, removed before anyone notices :)
    edited October 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 52 of 67

• Reply 53 of 67
    avon b7 said:
    sdbryan said:

I suppose I should let it go but wireless to me (and a believe others also) means freedom to move about. In this case there is a cable connected to the device. The cable just has a cross section that is the entire size of the device and essentially zero length. Calling it wireless charging is just marketing BS whereas inductive charging is objectively correct. The problem with actual wireless charging is efficiency and the physics problem it faces. Even inductive charging has efficiency challenges compared to USB3.

All this just to say I prefer a phone with a metal rather than glass back needed for inductive charging. Like my current iPhone SE.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    avon b7 said:
    sdbryan said:

I suppose I should let it go but wireless to me (and a believe others also) means freedom to move about. In this case there is a cable connected to the device. The cable just has a cross section that is the entire size of the device and essentially zero length. Calling it wireless charging is just marketing BS whereas inductive charging is objectively correct. The problem with actual wireless charging is efficiency and the physics problem it faces. Even inductive charging has efficiency challenges compared to USB3.

All this just to say I prefer a phone with a metal rather than glass back needed for inductive charging. Like my current iPhone SE.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Most of the SE users I know would love the same chasis size, with an all display front. That would effectively bring the display size close to series 8, without the unnecessary bulk added by the bezels.
    My thoughts exactly. The 6/7/8 screens were just right to help avoid feeling too claustrophobic with longer use of the 5/SE screen. If they could build that into the fullscreen face it'd probably sell like gangbusters. 
  • Reply 56 of 67
    I finally gave up on my SE, after replacing the worn out battery, and still not able to get sufficient charge.  I went to Samsung Galaxy S9 and pretty much hate it.  Was excited when I saw the SE2 headline, but with me, as are many others, size does indeed matter.  I just won't come back to iPhone unless and until the size is close to the SE.  One other thought.  A smart flip phone would be another option I would pull the trigger on.  
    rune66
  • Reply 57 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chuck1252 said:
    ...  A smart flip phone would be another option I would pull the trigger on.  
    There are a few new ones coming to market, somewhat surprisingly. I kinda liked the flip-phone style myself.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    I love my SE, but a larger form factor is exactly what my thumbs need nowadays. I hope they keep at least an IP67 or greater moisture resistance rating. And to the commenter above - the processor cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the housing and display bits of the entire package.
    longpath
  • Reply 59 of 67
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    M68000 said:
    They will put their top end chip from their flagship phone into a budget phone?  Have to doubt that.  Maybe an A11 instead?
    Do you know anything about the previous SE?

Chip

• A9 chip with 64‑bit architecture
    • Embedded M9 motion coprocessor

• Reply 60 of 67
    ChidoroChidoro Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    It’s a binned parts phone. Anyone that purchased it because they wanted a small screen was merely a crossover. 
    A fleet phone, no R&D, used parts, old chassis, and binned modern chips to ensure years of support.

Just because some posters purchased it specifically  for the small size doesn’t mean that’s what the se was thrown on the market for, Apple was just lucky to get your crossover business.
    edited October 2019 longpath