AMC launches new video on demand platform to take on iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The Criterion Channel is worth the $100 a year with a huge permanent collection and a rotating collection of other films on demand. Not so sure about this offering.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Basically, we are back to TV channels. But instead of networks we have streamers. And, we have to pay separately for each one. Soon, someone will come along and be the new “cable,” selling packages of channels/streamers for a single price. The more things change the more they stay the same. 
    The main difference between streaming and cable as I see it is it’s a lot easier to cancel and go with someone else making competition so much better. If there’s a series you like on Netflix, then subscribe, binge watch it, and cancel until next season. These streaming companies are going to have to get creative to retain subscribers. Amazon nailed it to include it with their free shipping service for instance. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Basically, we are back to TV channels. But instead of networks we have streamers. And, we have to pay separately for each one. Soon, someone will come along and be the new “cable,” selling packages of channels/streamers for a single price. The more things change the more they stay the same. 
    The main difference between streaming and cable as I see it is it’s a lot easier to cancel and go with someone else making competition so much better. If there’s a series you like on Netflix, then subscribe, binge watch it, and cancel until next season. These streaming companies are going to have to get creative to retain subscribers. Amazon nailed it to include it with their free shipping service for instance. 
    Yeh, and having internet only cable I do the same with that:   Take out an cheap (about half price) "Introductory Offer" from one cable provider then, after a year or two when the offer expires and the prices double, I simply make 2 phone calls and switch a cable and I have an introductory offer from the other cable provider.   It makes no difference to me whether I get the internet from Comcast or Verizon.    (Although, this summer Comcast tripped me up and, as I was about to switch, extended my introductory rates another year!).

And soon, that competition may increase even further as Verizon Wireless starts mounting 5G transmitters on the same poles that carry the Comcast cable and the Verizon FiOS lines.   Then I'll be able to choose between three!
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Good points. But I do long for the simplicity of a dial with channels. Turn it to get what you want. Just as Jobs cleaned up the mess that was command line and later Windows UI, I hope for Mac-like simplicity in our video life. 
    GeorgeBMac