Tim Cook talks sustainability in Ceres keynote speech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook told a New York City audience that Apple sees climate change as an opportunity to "develop new and valuable competencies."

Tim Cook at Ceres (Photo: <a href=@JamesGould21)" height="368" />
Tim Cook at Ceres (Photo: @JamesGould21)

Tim Cook presented the keynote speech at last night's 30th anniversary gala for Ceres, a nonprofit company which aims to promote sustainable energy for the environment and the economy.

Cook and Apple were being honored by the organization and Cook used his speech to describe how Apple views sustainability.

"We don't see climate change as risk, but opportunity," he said. "With our supply chain partners, we see a chance to develop new and valuable competencies... because it is the right thing to do."

After the event, Cook tweeted his thanks for Ceres and called on all firms to do what they can.

"Companies have a responsibility to use their innovation and agility to lead on the climate crisis," he wrote. "Thank you to Ceres for their work and for this award -- and to Lisa Jackson and the team for driving us all forward."

Companies have a responsibility to use their innovation and agility to lead on the climate crisis. Thank you to Ceres for their work and for this award -- and to @LisaPJackson and the team for driving us all forward.

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Lisa Jackson is Apple's vice president of environmental, social and policy initiatives, working on the company's pursuit of responsible manufacturing and operations.

Cook reportedly also described how Jackson and others have implemented plans to achieve 100 percent renewable energy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

so the company that wastes this much space/fuel/resources to ship this little product is winning awards for their environmental efforts.

if it is such an opportunity tim cook, then take the opportunity to change how you package and your partners ship your product.

(sizing demonstrates the actual shipped 3d volume vs product 3d volume)
    dysamoriadavgregsteveau
  • Reply 2 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

so the company that wastes this much space/fuel/resources to ship this little product is winning awards for their environmental efforts.

if it is such an opportunity tim cook, then take the opportunity to change how you package and your partners ship your product.

Fully agreed. Plus the effectively disposable laptop, desktop, and tablet computers and iPhones.
    davgregcy_starkman
  • Reply 3 of 22

Good on him.  I'd rather that a company that believes in this leads rather than a government that forces people to do things under imprisonment or financial ruin. 

I know there are those that say that this is an immanent threat with dire consequences to be experienced in the next 7-30 years, as it has for the last 100 years, but it's nice to see Apple putting its money where its mouth is, rather than putting my money where their mouth is.

edited October 2019 lkruppJWSC
  • Reply 4 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Nothing good enough, nothing worthwhile, always complaining. That’s the kind of attitude that makes a companies and individuals think “Damned if we do and damned if we don’t. Oh screw it, why even try.” Why not applaud Apple for what they are doing and encourage them to do more rather than condemning them for what they are not doing right now this minute? 

cy_starkmanminicoffee
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Global carbon emissions are still rising every year, so corporate agility and innovation is only part of the solution. If you treat corporations like they're the leaders, you're not going to change quickly enough.  
    dysamoriaminicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I guess if the fake news keeps calling it a "climate crisis" long enough, the uninformed will start to believe it. I for one, see no evidence of a climate "crisis."

Apple can afford to divert some of its excess profits into over-priced renewable energy, which I would suggest they do primarily for marketing and PR purposes. 

lkruppJWSC
  • Reply 7 of 22
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    He never talks about the globe spanning supply chain and the transport of iPhones to market on jets. The carbon footprint of that must be significant.

The push for streaming/cloud vs local storage uses significant energy which all too often is produced by burning fossil fuels. I know Apple has some server farms powered by renewables, but the whole distribution chain for cloud services depends upon other companies buying utility power that more often than not is from carbon fuels.

Then the push to seal up every device to make it a throwaway with planned obsolescence is a slap in the face of any real commitment to sustainability. Apple never gives us the numbers on what percentage of their products end up recycled versus landfill. The newer mouse, trackpad and keyboard stopped using batteries for a non replaceable sealed in battery- I use rechargeable eneloops on my older Apple keyboards and trackpad. These batteries last thousands of cycles and are easily recycled without having to throw away the device.

I call BS on a “green”/sustainable Apple. When I can buy a MacBook/iPad/iPhone/Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse that has a user accessible battery compartment we might reconsider. Same for the unrepairable HomePod- out of warranty repairs cost almost what a new unit costs.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 22
    davgreg said:
    Then the push to seal up every device to make it a throwaway with planned obsolescence is a slap in the face of any real commitment to sustainability. Apple never gives us the numbers on what percentage of their products end up recycled versus landfill. The newer mouse, trackpad and keyboard stopped using batteries for a non replaceable sealed in battery- I use rechargeable eneloops on my older Apple keyboards and trackpad. These batteries last thousands of cycles and are easily recycled without having to throw away the device.

I call BS on a “green”/sustainable Apple. When I can buy a MacBook/iPad/iPhone/Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse that has a user accessible battery compartment we might reconsider. Same for the unrepairable HomePod- out of warranty repairs cost almost what a new unit costs.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the disposable keyboards and pointing devices in my previous post. Good on you for mentioning them.

Plus the Apple Pencil. And watch.

Damn. It’s pretty much everything Apple makes.
  • Reply 9 of 22

I guess if the fake news keeps calling it a "climate crisis" long enough, the uninformed will start to believe it. I for one, see no evidence of a climate "crisis."
    Then you’re either not paying attention, or you just plain don’t WANT to see reality. YOU are the uninformed.
    minicoffeesteveausarthosjony0
  • Reply 10 of 22
    What are they going to do about all of those emissions from cows, volcanoes or air pollution INSIDE of the average home from cooking (yes, believe it or not that is one of the main sources of pollution that directly affects people!)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/worlds-top-10-worst-pollution-problems/
  • Reply 11 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

First there is nothing happening in this world that could be called a climate crisis so Cook undermines his authority simply by associating with the doom and gloom crowd.  

The second issues, as you rightfully point out, is the obsession Apple has with packaging.  It just highlights the “do as we say not as we do” mentality people have that are riding the climate change wave.  It isn’t just packaging that puts Apple on the wrong side of the credibility wall, if they seriously thought climate change was real they would be actively supporting right to repair. Right to repair is important to change the communities mind set away from everything being disposable 

it really doesn’t matter where you stand on the issue of climate change, it is extremely difficult to believe companies like Apple really care when their activities are directly in conflict with good environmental practices.  Note the use of the phrase “good environmental practices” which addresses the fact that it is possible to damage the environment even if climate change isn’t being considered.  
  • Reply 12 of 22

dysamoria said:

Then you’re either not paying attention, or you just plain don’t WANT to see reality. YOU are the uninformed.
    An informed person would realize that the science isn’t even remotely settled.  The fact remains the earth has been warming since the last ice age.  That rate of change was pretty fast up until the YD event at which the rate of change moderated significantly.  All you need to see is a graph of temperatures over the last 20,000 years to see that.  The only real issue there is that we are currently at. Low point in the fluctuations.  Even so the overall trend remains, the planet has been getting warmer and Man has had nothing to do with it.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 22
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    dysamoria said:

Uh, no. 

When the predictions made by warmists actually start coming true, because they actually understand the whole science behind how our climate works, then we can start looking at "global warming".  Until then, save it.
    JWSC
  • Reply 14 of 22

Global carbon emissions are still rising every year, so corporate agility and innovation is only part of the solution. If you treat corporations like they're the leaders, you're not going to change quickly enough.  
    Complete and utter non sense.    Corporations simply fill a need in society.  Population growth is currently uncontrolled so you are going to have increased in demand.   That means more carbon production.   You can address this by making people run around naked and starving them until they are skin and bones but eventually population growth outstrips any effort at control.  

We might be able to change some industries to cleaner methods but the fact remains that as long as you have a massively increasing population size it will not make much difference.  

One proven solution to our power needs is nuclear power but even here we get resistance that frankly makes no sense at all.  Instead we get pie in the sky efforts at “renewables” that are just asinine.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 22
    wizard69 said:

Complete and utter non sense.    Corporations simply fill a need in society.  Population growth is currently uncontrolled so you are going to have increased in demand.   That means more carbon production.   You can address this by making people run around naked and starving them until they are skin and bones but eventually population growth outstrips any effort at control.  

We might be able to change some industries to cleaner methods but the fact remains that as long as you have a massively increasing population size it will not make much difference.  

One proven solution to our power needs is nuclear power but even here we get resistance that frankly makes no sense at all.  Instead we get pie in the sky efforts at “renewables” that are just asinine.  
    Agree 100% on the nuclear issue. If Apple joined others in funding or just supporting the development of next-gen nuclear (so-called “pebble bed reactors” or “molten salt reactors”), it would be one political issue they could endorse which would be meaningful and have both local and global implications.
    JWSCjony0
  • Reply 16 of 22
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

From the photo it is unclear if the shipping box originated from Apple.  It may be a third party contractor that handles shipping.  We don’t know.  Nevertheless, Apple could implement further packaging improvements, especially since their stuff moves all over the globe.

More localization of manufacturing and assembly plants will also be of economic benefit, for many reasons.  Product cost models could be improved to include supply chain shipping times and distances.

Generally speaking, the packaging industry needs a swift kick up the rear end.  Use of recyclable cardboard or plastics doesn’t do much good when that packaging has other non-recyclable materials glued to the supposedly recyclable container pieces.  In part, this is why so much of what we currently throw in the recycle bin is pulled out, to be discarded. It’s a colossal waste.  Forget the global warming BS.  This is dollars being thrown out!
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 17 of 22
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Will Tim Cook ban all apps and songs supporting climate change and humanity because they give a pressure to governments?  

I wouldn’t say unlikely for what he has done recently.  In some way, a digital dictator is on the stage.

Multiple App Stores, in addition to Apple’s, should be allowed for iOS and iPadOS devices.

No more digital dictatorship!
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 18 of 22

Looks like they used packaging for something else (like an iPhone or battery case), this box has a Lithium battery warning which obviously doesn't apply to this product. Last time I got an adapter direct from Apple, it came in a tiny flat package a fraction of that size which was totally appropriate for what it was.
    edited October 2019 sarthos
  • Reply 19 of 22

You'd be the first to complain, cry bloody murder and demand Cook's head on a plate if that little dongle you ordered was damaged during shipping.

edited October 2019 fastasleepsarthos
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Apple can afford to divert some of its excess profits into over-priced renewable energy, which I would suggest they do primarily for marketing and PR purposes. 
    Well turn off Fox News and read some books. 
    fastasleepsarthos