Apple TV+ boasts highest bitrate of any 4K streaming service, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:
    With something like Netflix, their standard plan doesn't even grant you 4K.
    Which is actually viewed as a welcome choice, for those without a 4k TV. Or a capped Internet connection. Please see beyond your own preference and understand that people can have a different view than your own.

Of course people can have a different view. Like you say, some people don't have a 4K TV and some people have data caps. Some people are fat, some people are skinny. Some people are rich, some people are poor.

Of course a 4K stream would be rather useless for somebody who is not able to view the content in 4K. Luckily for those people, lower quality streams do exist.

The point I was making had to do with cost.

Apple and Disney do not have tiered pricing. Their 4K streams do not cost anything additional, whereas Netflix charges more, as if 4K is a luxury in 2019.  And along comes Apple at $4.95 a month, and they're offering the best quality 4k Streams in the industry.
    15ngcs1macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    At least in Australia Apple TV+ is pretty lame.

Number of TV Shows: 8
    Number of Movies: 1

cost AUD $8-/ month

Netflix:
    Number of TV Shows:1700+
    Number of Movies: 3600+

cost: AUD $10- / month

but yes apple does offer higher bitrates. ;)

Apples has a looong way to go.

edited November 2019
  • Reply 23 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

cost AUD $8-/ month

Netflix:

Apple TV+ launched just a few days ago, and for many people the cost right now is essentially zero, since it comes for free for a full year when buying certain devices.

Would I pay $4.95 a month for Apple TV+ right now? Probably not, and I'm not either, so I have no complaints.

I'll see where things are at in 12 months from now when my free subscription is over and I'll either decide to continue with it or I wont. It's not a big deal either way.

Apple TV+ is just getting started and their offerings will only increase. 

What I do know is that when I first find something that I like to watch, then the quality means a lot to me.

I've only seen 1 episode of 1 Apple TV+ series so far, for all mankind, and the picture quality and streaming quality in 4k is great. I'm not going to comment on what I think of the story itself yet until I've seen more episodes of it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

cost AUD $8-/ month

Netflix:

True, but are Apple likely to have many direct subscribers for the next 12 months anyway?  I imagine the vast majority of Apple TV+ subscribers will be riding the free year of a hardware purchase.  And in 12 months maybe the roster will look healthier; I imagine Apple must have a plan for picking up some velocity.  Either than, or they're just considering Apple TV+ as a sticky service to encourage customers to buy new hardware every year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    doesn't video unlike music have a variable bitrate, and only demand the full amount during fast action sequences, hence different needs for both, besides are you really going to sit there watching something incredibly boring having to reminding yourself just how good the bandwidth is, I think its the program not the bandwidth that counts, how many people seem to be just fine watching bootlegged movies shot on phone in the local multiplex.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Is it just me? When starting a movie/tv show I get a "crash" of that show. It sometimes take two more attempt until working correctly. My Apple TV is hard wired to my network with speed test score of 235...
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 27 of 46
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Remember when Apple used to make the MHz arguments in the 1990s? They were advocating that the sheer numbers don't describe the whole picture. 

Well, seems like they are on the other side of that argument now. Who cares what the "bitrate" is if the shows stink?
  • Reply 28 of 46
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Seeing how much detail I could make out in See in 4K on my Surface Pro (I know that's not a 4K screen, but downsampling from it still looks better than 1440p) made me more annoyed at the situation with Netflix and Youtube on iPadOS. There's a sizable increase in detail despite the "I don't care, 1080p is good enough" crowd. 
    15ngcs1
  • Reply 29 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    I wonder if they fixed the incredibly buggy Finder in 15.0. It's completely unusable.
    It’s not, it’s fine. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    MacPro said:
    I must say the 4K Apple TV watching Apple TV + and using two HomePods was amazing, it was the best audio I have ever heard from a TV set up.
    Wow...then you must have never heard a quality home theater set-up before.  Two HomePods is pure garbage compared to a true Home Theater surround setup.
    I had a 7.1 pioneer with expensive Anthony Gallo speakers. It sounded great but the system was a PITA. I sold it and switched to two HPs, and the sound is very good, good enough to make the trade off for easier and smaller worth it.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46

So now Apple is trying to push the 'quality' of the stream...too bad all 9 shows are boring as hell and not worth watching.  Pathetic for a streaming service with only 9 shows.  They are all getting lousy reviews.  Way to go Apple.
    Wow, you really try hard to be the loudest of the Misery Choir, don’t you?
    15ngcs1macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 46
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    apple ][ said:
    mobird said:
    Odd how many of the folks here on AI jump up and down with glee with the higher quality video streams being offered but when others on AI lament the lack of higher quality music being offered, they are treated like lepers...
    Not me. I've always said that Apple should provide high bit rate lossless music for those who prefer it. I would agree that the average person doesn't care about that though.
    Lossless is important but depends upon what you are listening to. Certain types of music and methods of recording benefit from it and others not so much.
    I pay Apple for iTunes Match which allows me top stream my entire library and would gladly pay a higher price for a higher quality stream. I am quite sure there are enough people to make it profitable. Not everybody listens to CHR or the Billboard Hot 100.
    mobird
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member

So now Apple is trying to push the 'quality' of the stream...too bad all 9 shows are boring as hell and not worth watching.  Pathetic for a streaming service with only 9 shows.  They are all getting lousy reviews.  Way to go Apple.
    Wow, you really try hard to be the loudest of the Misery Choir, don’t you?
    I think a couple shows on AppleTV+ show promise. I'll give the subscription some time. 

BUT...
    the app itself is horrid IMHO. Confusing to navigate is an understatement. It's not immediately clear which content is coming from where or who offers it unless you're paying really close attention. The sources aren't immediately obvious while browsing, the content I've already subscribed to is mixed with content I need to pay for or rent or additionally subscribe to. Last night even "play next episode" was far too difficult to figure out on "See". Is Autoplay not consistently working for anyone else here?  

Geesh, surely they can do better than this confusing mess. When every competing streaming app I use is better at categorizing content, separating the "free subscribed" stuff from the "pay me more" stuff, and surfacing the things I can watch NOW with just my subscription it's obvious there's a problem. 
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 34 of 46
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    gerry g said:
    doesn't video unlike music have a variable bitrate, and only demand the full amount during fast action sequences, hence different needs for both, besides are you really going to sit there watching something incredibly boring having to reminding yourself just how good the bandwidth is, I think its the program not the bandwidth that counts, how many people seem to be just fine watching bootlegged movies shot on phone in the local multiplex.
    Music can also have a variable bitrate. MP3 files often come in a VBR format.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    It is pretty interesting to watch this roll out, and to read people's comments about it. So many parallels with prior technology rollouts. Rather fascinating.

It seems to me that I have more access to more choices in media than ever before. This in and of itself, cannot be a bad thing. Choices are always good, and how they are priced and offered is worthy of personal evaluation. I remember when Steve was making the case for "computers" becoming office machines. Instead of a typewriter and phone, people would have "computers" as their primary occupational device. So too we've gone from movietone news in theaters, to rabbit ears, to cable, to streaming on 4K HDTVs and mobile devices. We've come a long way in a very short time from talkies in the theater to click and watch in 4K. I can tell you the odds of me ever going to a sporting event when I can watch in my living room for orders of magnitude less money is decidedly low. 

We have more access to more content than ever before. It is big business, and quite competitive. Consumers are benefiting from this competition. 

That said, I'll buy when I see something I want to watch. Not before. Quality matters.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I had a debate with someone on here months ago. I asked if every show/movie on TV+ will be filmed in native 4K to support Apple devices. His argument was that it's "not important". I disagree and believe it's a selling point. TV+ may be the only service with 100% 4K content.

smaffei said:
    Remember when Apple used to make the MHz arguments in the 1990s? They were advocating that the sheer numbers don't describe the whole picture. 

Well, seems like they are on the other side of that argument now. Who cares what the "bitrate" is if the shows stink?

You guys didn't read the article did you? Sh** you guys didn't even read the headline!!

15ngcs1macguimobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    MacPro said:
    I must say the 4K Apple TV watching Apple TV + and using two HomePods was amazing, it was the best audio I have ever heard from a TV set up.
    Wow...then you must have never heard a quality home theater set-up before.  Two HomePods is pure garbage compared to a true Home Theater surround setup.
    When the OP said "TV set up" I took it as a soundbar small footprint type set up.  Not a full blown 5.1 - 7.1 or beyond receiver powered home theater set up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

cost AUD $8-/ month

Netflix:

How many original shows and movies did Netflix offer on day 4 of it's service existence?  Hahaha I get what you are saying but come on..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Again you're trying to push your preferences and perceptions as fact, when they're no more than the former.

Apple's shows are also getting good reviews. The only person capable of judging good or bad for themselves is – wait for it – themselves. The likes of people making stupid proclamations in place of perfections is its own internet meme. Way to go disneylandman.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member

cost AUD $8-/ month
    Oh the humanity. Surely your Govt will declare a national emergency and send aid ASAP. First world whining.

Another example of FWW — when HBO first came to my city, there was only one movie, and it didn't even play 24/7. It shut down later at night and started up in the morning, maybe 1000. Yet we survived. Hoodah thought.

You have a keen grasp of the obvious.

Maybe you should contact Apple Feedback and let Tim know because no doubt he has no clue, right?

Maybe you think Apple should have waited until they had 1000 shows on the shelves before they opened the store for streamness.

Maybe Apple should have just said no to Australia so they didn't offend you and waste your time.