A5X: How Apple took iPad to a luxury tier rivals couldn't match

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    The only drawback with the display is the brightness its hard to see outside. The iPad Pro's with 120 GHz and HDR are just perfect! I'm sure microLED's will improve the brightness, I just hope we don't loose the Hz or HDR.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    There are certainly other factors that affect the battery life on a Macbook Pro, the display is the least important factor. Retina display is driven by the built-in Intel GPU, thus compatible with thermal envelope of the CPU. Of course you can always buy one of those monster gaming laptops that use a Nvidia super-turing-ultimate-graphics card to drive a 1080p laptop display.
    How do you figure?  The more pixels the more electricity needed to power them, no?

My MBP includes a Radeon card as well as the Intel one you mentioned:

Pixel count doesn’t matter. The component that draws the most power is the backlit layer, not the individual pixels laid on top of that. Enjoy your Radeon Card but the display is driven by Intel integrated GPU. There are Retina Macbooks without the discrete GPU.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Retina displays are still a battery killer.
    Er, no. 10 hours for ipad, and 18 hours video playback on iPhone 11 Pro. 
    That may be true but the battery life on my late 2017 MacBook Pro was awful when I bought it and is now atrocious.

My next laptop will have HD graphics only.
    Define atrocious. If you weren’t getting the advertised during normal use then you had an issue.

Have fun going backwards. 
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26

Define atrocious. If you weren’t getting the advertised during normal use then you had an issue.

Have fun going backwards. 
    Anything that involves using 3rd party apps, especially developer tools is absolutely lethal on my battery life.  I've seen it drain in 3-4 hours.

This is the late 2017 model of MacBook Pro.  Battery life on my iPad Air and 2012 MacBook Pro in their prime was far better, in case you think I'm trolling or making this up.

The XPS that I evaluated was far better for light apps.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 26
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    atomic101 said:

What do they say always about opinions? 

I use my iPad Pro from a comfortable distance and can still discern pixel elements (jagged lines, fuzziness, and the screen door effect) on certain text and graphics. A resolution bump, when it becomes feasible considering cost and power constraints, would be very welcome and noticeable to me. It seems that would be the case for other people, who you seem to be quick to dismiss. 

Retina tech is based on fact not opinion. You're either holding the iPad too close to your face or your unit is broken.

My color comment is also based on science and fact, not my opinion at all.
    Unless atomic101 is viewing upscaled, poorly rendered, or non-antialiased content, there's no chance in hell he's seeing pixelation, jaggies and fuzziness at a comfortable distance on content rendered at the iPad's resolution. Sure, the screen door effect is definitely possible, but wouldn't be addressed by another doubling of the resolution. 

Having said that, a LOT of content is poorly rendered or upscaled. After 17 years with a 32" CRT standard definition television, I finally bought a 4k HDR LG OLED. 95% of the content I watch it neither 4k nor HDR. Nothing is broadcast at 1080p. So almost everything is either 1080i or 720p. And then there's compression and bandwidth, which ruin everything. I think the premium cable channels are allotted greater bandwidth than the rest as they exhibit far less dropout, less compression artifacts in the shadows and noisy action shots, and often use Dolby 5.1. This TV has an excellent upscaler so well rendered content at 720p can sometimes look nicer than poorly rendered content at 4k.

Point is: most screens far exceed the quality of the content they display. A good gauge of a screen's abilities its native UI. iOS on my iPad 4 and webOS on my LG are all razor sharp and look like vector art. Judging display quality off suboptimal content is a common mistake.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    steven n. said:
    The display is everything. I work at home with dual 27" 5k displays. At work I get dual 19" 1MP displays. Seriously???

i am stunned at the difference in productivity it makes. From tablet to desktops. It’s the display. 
    I’ll take this a few steps further and say that when you’re buying a new computer, the display is the only thing that’s an investment. The rest is cost/liability from a financial standpoint. The display is in every way how you use your machine. And it can outlast the rest of it. 
    watto_cobra