MWNY Renamed "Create"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Think Secret is claiming that MacWorld New York will be renamed "Create" and greatly scaled back.

"As IDG World Expo nears closer and closer to announcing this summer's Macworld Expo in New York, several new details and developments have emerged.

Earlier, we indicated that an announcement would be made last week, but that fell victim to the negotiations between IDG and Apple. A variety of factors, including delays in Apple signing off on the show, pushed the announcement back. Regardless, we believe that an announcement will be made any day.

Sources also confirmed what the new name of the show will be: IDG plans to call it "Create," reflecting its increased focus on creative markets.

On another note of recent relevance, it appears that Apple's WWDC announcement from last week is having a negative effect on exhibitors for Create, with some vendors pulling out due to the conference's June timeframe and Apple's promise of a Panther demo.

On March 10, Think Secret reported that this July's Macworld Expo in New York would be a significantly changed event, based on information from exhibitors who were briefed on the details. We reported that the changes will include a new name, fewer exhibitors, and the lack of a signature keynote address from Apple CEO Steve Jobs, as well as a new graphic arts/multimedia angle. For more information, please see our original article.

A representative of IDG could not be reached for comment."

So looks like no new hardware at this increasingly non-event. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    thats for WWDC perhaps
  • Reply 2 of 27
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Lets all bow our heads in a moment of silence for the summer MacWorld. Its dead.

Long live WWDC
  • Reply 3 of 27
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Could Apple have moved WWDC back to June simply to undercut IDG?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nonsuch

Could Apple have moved WWDC back to June simply to undercut IDG?

no, steve would never be that petty or vindictive...

(now where did i put those sarcasm tags of mine???)
  • Reply 5 of 27
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Perhaps Apple has realized that MWNY is bad for it's portfolio \
  • Reply 6 of 27
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Is Steve presenting a keynote at WWDC?.

MWNY is dead!, there is no keynote, so when will the NEW PowerMacs get announced!, looks like it will be at WWDC!. Seybold in September is too far away, and something as important as a 64bit PowerMac WILL, without doubt require his Steve-ness to announce.

Unless Im mistaken, Steve will present at WWDC in June. Further the event has now moved to SF and in June - far away enough now from MWSF permanently.

Any thoughts.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Is Steve presenting a keynote at WWDC?

He always does. As some have noted the PowerMac G4 1.4GHz are just now shipping...to announce and ship (hopefully) a 970 in June would be a rather crude thing to do...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

He always does. As some have noted the PowerMac G4 1.4GHz are just now shipping...to announce and ship (hopefully) a 970 in June would be a rather crude thing to do...

um... get a clue.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    rmh1572rmh1572 Posts: 94member
    Applenut- did you say get a clue because you think apple will release the 970? i hope so. i don't think apple should worry about offending anyone. just get the best system they can out there.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Bet on Apple doing it's own events like they did with the iBook SE and several other products. The whole hoopla thing really did Apple a disservice if you ask me. They were forced into product announcements even if it wasn't quite ready (ala PB17"). Forced product revamp schedules are just stupid in this day and age. Too many updates could be done in between them, and it seems that part of Apple falling behind the curve was due to announcing products at certain venues.

No, if I were Steve I would stick with announcing my own products at my own schedule at my own venue. Screw having to force introduce or wait to introduce an update based on a Macworld.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

No, if I were Steve I would stick with announcing my own products at my own schedule at my own venue. Screw having to force introduce or wait to introduce an update based on a Macworld.

I agree with you, but to think apple would postpone a major product release because the 1.42 have not been shipping long (announced Jan 28), is seriously clueless, in fact Im questioning my sanity for even replying to such dribble.

I echo the posters above.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

...to think apple would postpone a major product release because the 1.42 have not been shipping long (announced Jan 28), is seriously clueless, in fact Im questioning my sanity for even replying to such dribble.

I couldn't agree more. If they released a 970 one week after the 1.42G4s started shipping, good for them. You buy based on knowledge of need, product availabilty and affordability. Need being the biggest concern. Unless you are a graphics/database pro, a Dual 1.42 is a nice machine - probably a nice machine for the afore mentioned. Besides, if you are a pro user, chances are you should know what is coming right around the corner. If you have a need, fill it. If you cannot wait, buy. But don't turn around and get pissy just because Apple releases an update to the pro line that should be monumentally better than what is currently available.

That is just life in this industry.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

That is just life in this industry.

Geez, I can't think of a better way for Apple to force it's customers to hold off buying until they first consult the rumor sites.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I don't know what else they would want to test-drive Panther on than the 970. After all, they want to show off the OS - of course a dual 1.42 will do JUST fine. If Panther is indeed 64 bit enabled, then they probably want to show it off on a 64 bit processor.

This is just a side question: Has Apple ever really had the WWDC banner on their page for weeks until the conference? If not, this may mean something... did they do that when they introduced Jag? If not, either Panther must scream, "Bring your heart pills and a change of pants!" or the 970 will come out.

Here's to hoping - Cheers!

-Bio
  • Reply 15 of 27
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

Applenut- did you say get a clue because you think apple will release the 970? i hope so. i don't think apple should worry about offending anyone. just get the best system they can out there.

get a clue...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, the name change to CREATE is now officially confirmed.

R.I.P. MWNY.

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    So... this should be moved to GD now, right?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Lessening the importance of MacWorld/CREATE seems to indicate that WWDC is even more important. And moving it back to June I think implies even more so that it was moved back so something (the new chip/G5/970, whatever) could be there.

It seems more likely now that the 970 will be release or at least show at WWDC. IMHO.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Official press release from Apple and IDG:

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/...2603/230855375
  • Reply 20 of 27
    So is MWSF still happening or what?