Only use Apple's special cloth to clean Pro Display XDR

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Seriously... what is the purpose of 6K if the screen is only 32"? You'll need a microscope to read!
    If it was 55" I'd be interested.
    It was explained to you on the other thread where you said the same thing. 
    pscooter63fastasleepuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 61

bulk001 said:
    Seriously... what is the purpose of 6K if the screen is only 32"? You'll need a microscope to read!
    Why do you keep posting this? Do you have any concept of screen resolution or normal viewing distances? You don’t need a microscope to read an iMac screen, and this is the same density. Not to mention you can adjust the OS scaling to your liking.
    Because he wants a bigger screen? Just guess in’ I mean if you are going to drop 6k on a screen that needs its own special cloth you may as well get what you want right?
    This monitor isn’t for someone who doesn’t understand it. Not like he was ever, ever going to buy one anyway, it’s all pretend complaining about his pretend purchase. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    You posted this exact same comment in another thread, and it was just as idiotic that time. Why post such stupidity multiple times? Why the need to shamelessly advertise such utter ignorance? Do you not understand the difference between a monitor and a TV? Or the relevance of viewing distance of several feet vs several inches? Who do you know that uses a 55" display as a professional monitor? Unbelievable.
    80s_Apple_GuyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 61
    bulk001 said:
    Why do you keep posting this? Do you have any concept of screen resolution or normal viewing distances? You don’t need a microscope to read an iMac screen, and this is the same density. Not to mention you can adjust the OS scaling to your liking.
    Because he wants a bigger screen? Just guess in’ I mean if you are going to drop 6k on a screen that needs its own special cloth you may as well get what you want right?

I thought "Marcia" was a woman's name.
    fastasleepcy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    bulk001 said:
    Not a single person on this planet is going to drop 6K on this screen wishing it was a 55" screen. The kinds of people this screen is for know exactly what they need to use it for, and that doesn't include binging Netflix. He's not going to drop anything on this screen, because he clearly has zero concept of the kinds of tasks it's meant for. Nor are any of the trolls mocking the price. You can go out and buy an 82" screen for less than 3K, if thats what you're looking for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 61
    slurpy said:
    You posted this exact same comment in another thread, and it was just as idiotic that time. Why post such stupidity multiple times? Why the need to shamelessly advertise such utter ignorance? Do you not understand the difference between a monitor and a TV? Or the relevance of viewing distance of several feet vs several inches? Who do you know that uses a 55" display as a professional monitor? Unbelievable.
    Stupid doesn't just happen once, it is practiced.

Seriously, it isn't about IQ or education, it is all about a lifelong dedication to multi-resistent ignorance.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    Apple should allow third parties to make this fabric to their specifications (or exceed them). There is no valid reason for Apple to not allow this in the interests of consumer choice and competition.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    Apple should allow third parties to make this fabric to their specifications (or exceed them). There is no valid reason for Apple to not allow this in the interests of consumer choice and competition.
    Where did Apple forbids to use other fabric? 
    Apple recommends to use their fabric.

Other firms will definitely produce something similar. But it is not worth for Apple to create a certification program for that fabric to verify that the production meets the specification requirements.
    EsquireCatsFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 61
    urahara said:
    avon b7 said:

Other firms will definitely produce something similar. But it is not worth for Apple to create a certification program for that fabric to verify that the production meets the specification requirements.
    I thought the support article said only Apple’s cloth can be used. We don’t know if Apple will be charging people for replacements. But unless Apple has a patent on this cloth I’m not sure why 3rd parties would need Apple’s approval to do anything,
  • Reply 30 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    avon b7 said:
    This is a specialized, professional monitor that will not sell in large volumes, and only one version needs the special cloth.  Do you seriously think there would be enough demand for a third party to invest resources in Developing a special cloth to apple’s specs? 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 61
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    This is a specialized, professional monitor that will not sell in large volumes, and only one version needs the special cloth.  Do you seriously think there would be enough demand for a third party to invest resources in Developing a special cloth to apple’s specs? 
    If a third party can produce an equivalent (or better fabric) at an overall profit, why not?

Take into account that Apple isn't making this cloth. It is contracting someone to produce it and that company is definitely producing other kinds of fabric. There will be plenty of other companies who could easily source the materials and already have the manufacturing equipment and know-how to produce the article.

Unfortunately, Apple would have to 'certify' any such alternative to avoid warranty problems or release the manufacturing requirements for third parties to be able to meet or exceed them 
  • Reply 32 of 61
    urahara said:
    avon b7 said:

From the article:

"Never use any other cloths to clean the nano-texture glass," Apple says."
  • Reply 33 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    If a third party can produce an equivalent (or better fabric) at an overall profit, why not?

Take into account that Apple isn't making this cloth. It is contracting someone to produce it and that company is definitely producing other kinds of fabric. There will be plenty of other companies who could easily source the materials and already have the manufacturing equipment and know-how to produce the article.

Unfortunately, Apple would have to 'certify' any such alternative to avoid warranty problems or release the manufacturing requirements for third parties to be able to meet or exceed them 
    It’s the ‘for an overall profit’ part that I question. LIke you said, there would have to be some approval process, so the production/development costs would be relatively high for low sales numbers, especially when people get a cloth when they buy the monitor.

The article doesn’t say if the replacement cloths are free of not, I would hope so, but I wouldn’t bet on it, either. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 61
    I wonder if you can clean the cloth? I would probably just replace it. I'll know more when I get my XDR in January.

It does make me nervous about fingerprints or accidental beverage splatter. I know for sure that I will keep it covered when I'm not using it.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 61
    i am curious about the rules of this forum, from my experience some years back - making direct attacks and insults toward a poster leads to posts being removed and ban warnings.

regardless the neck swivel pointlessness of 55” monitors, it strikes me that the moderators are not upholding rules.

after all if i started calling people fucking idiots in my posts i would expect to get a ban hammer, and yet.....
    randominternetpersonmaltz
  • Reply 36 of 61
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    avon b7 said:
    The "Zagg Ragg"  ;)...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 61
    jdw said:
    If it is truly the case that ONLY that Apple cloth will avoid hard to the nano-textured surface of the display, imagine setting the cloth on your desk after use (even temporarily), at which time it picks up small debris that were already present on your desk.  The next time you wipe your display, those debris could get pressed and rubbed against the display.  I can only imagine that could possibly induce the very scratches Apple seeks to have you avoid by using their approved cloth, especially if the said debris were rather hard.
    I can imagine all sorts of things.  Imagine if you typed on an Apple keyboard with gloves on; I imagine it would burst into flames because of the foreign material between your fingers at the keys!
  • Reply 38 of 61
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

It’s the ‘for an overall profit’ part that I question. LIke you said, there would have to be some approval process, so the production/development costs would be relatively high for low sales numbers, especially when people get a cloth when they buy the monitor.

The article doesn’t say if the replacement cloths are free of not, I would hope so, but I wouldn’t bet on it, either. 
    Yes. I was thinking the same. For a screen this expensive it would be nice if you could hand in your old cloth and get a new one free or get one at cost price.

However, previous experience, with Apple  adapters, tells me that Apple will try to squeeze something out of the final price.

I obviously won't be getting one of these but I might have other uses for a quality cloth for delicate surfaces. I have some very delicate plastic gloss finishing that is notoriously scratch prone and depending on what makes the Apple cloth special, it may come in useful.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    Better get [a certain politician who loves to jump on sexy-sounding consumer rights issues] on this!  Get a formal letter from Congress to Tim Cook!  Schedule the hearings!  Call the NY Attorney General!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Canon invented this type of anti reflection surface a few years ago, and they use it on their pro lenses. Yes, it can be somewhat delicate, but it’s amazing at reducing reflections. You also have to be very careful cleaning it. I believe Nikon and possibly some others now use a similar coating. It is very expensive.
    watto_cobra