Swallowed AirPod sends 7-year-old to emergency room

Posted:
in General Discussion
A second-grader has landed himself in the emergency room after accidentally swallowing a Christmas gift -- an AirPod.

Image Credit: WSB-TV Channel 2 News

A Georgia mother reports that her son had accidentally swallowed one of his AirPods, prompting her to rush him to the emergency room. The seven-year-old had received the AirPods as a Christmas gift along with a new iPhone.

"He said he was holding it in his mouth by the long end," Kiara Stroud, the boy's mother, told Atlanta's WSB-TV Channel 2 News.

The X-ray shows that the AirPod is clearly still in his stomach, sitting just below his rib cage. Stroud couldn't believe that her son had swallowed the wireless earbud.

"First of all, he was very nervous. He thought he was going to be in trouble," Stroud told reporters. "We just kinda assured him that it's okay."

The doctor at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston didn't know what an AirPod was, and was said it was a unique case. Despite the lack of knowledge about the product, doctors went on to assure both Stroud and her son that the AirPod would pass on its own and that he would be fine.

The son raised concerns about the AirPod connecting to his iPhone if he were to get too close.

"He was like, Mom. I don't want my phone,' because he got a phone for Christmas as well, and he's like, I don't want to be near my phone. I don't want it to connect to my phone and start playing music,'" Stroud said.

Stroud hopes that other parents will be cautious when giving AirPods to their kids, as she never anticipated her son would swallow the AirPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Stroud hopes that other parents will be cautious when giving AirPods to their kids, as she never anticipated her son would swallow the AirPod.
    Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting.  What the heck are parents doing by giving 7-year-olds such expensive, elaborate gifts?  I tell you... kids nowadays (and their parents) are what's wrong with society.

When I was seven, I was happy just playing outside in the dirt.
    DAalsethllamahcrefugeestevenozcincymacjeffharrismacplusplusronnpscooter63viclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 57
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    sflocal said:
    Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting.  What the heck are parents doing by giving 7-year-olds such expensive, elaborate gifts?  I tell you... kids nowadays (and their parents) are what's wrong with society.

First Tide Pods, now Air Pods. 
    llamacincymacviclauyycStrangeDaysktappefred1GeorgeBMacanantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 3 of 57
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    sflocal said:

Ironically, his peers would probably tease and shun him if he didn't have Airpods (well, maybe he's a bit young for that - more of a jr. high thing), and you're judging him for having them.

Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting? Literally, no.  :D

I love how his main worry is they'll pair with his phone and start playing music.
    llamahcrefugeeCloudTalkinGeorgeBMacredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sflocal said:

Mom is probably being deluged with phone calls from personal injury lawyers as we speak. This is Apple and the prospect of a big payout is too hard to resist. Fucking Apple makes dangerous products don’t you know.  AirPods need warning labels to tell kids not to swallow them. /s

As for playing in the dirt I saw a poster on Facebook that read, “We didn’t have an X-Box when were kids. We just had a box”. The poster’s picture showed three kids playing inside a cardboard refrigerator shipping container. I remember those days.
    edited January 2020 llamafotoformathcrefugeegatorguyjeffharrismacplusplusmwhiteronnpscooter63viclauyyc
  • Reply 5 of 57
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Seven year olds regularly lose their coat, backpack or lunch bag. WTF are they doing giving him Airpods that ADULTS regularly lose. He wants to listen to music, there are a lot of Cheap wired earbuds. Even if you want bluetooth, give him a pair of cheap Knockoff beats that have a line connecting them. Don’t worry about sound quality, at that age they can’t tell good from bad. 
    stevenozcincymacmacplusplusronnpscooter63viclauyycStrangeDayswatto_cobracoolfactorbb-15
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Also, better to get kids headphones that will limit volume. They don't know how damaging to hearing high volume is over time.
    stevenozmacplusplusDAalseth
  • Reply 7 of 57
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    That X-Ray shows something the size and shape of a shrimp, which is an arthropod. 
    CloudTalkinhexclockmtlion2020pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobracoolfactorfred1beowulfschmidtkudu
  • Reply 8 of 57
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    Wanna bet they return that AirPod as “malfunctioning”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Once It passes he can get the case engraved with the poop emoji. You can now engrave your AirPods case with emojis
    hcrefugeeCloudTalkinronnviclauyycStrangeDayswatto_cobracoolfactorbb-15chasmneo-tech
  • Reply 10 of 57
    No doubt it will pass, but are the doctors aware that it contains a deadly 93 milliwatt hour battery, which can burn a hole in the stomach if it melts. E.g. Toddler, 2, swallowed a battery which burned a hole in his throat and left him unable to eat https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3442518/Toddler-2-swallowed-battery-burned-hole-throat-left-unable-eat.html
    macpluspluszroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 57
    sflocal said:

What are you talking about?  AirPods are are not expensive or elaborate as a gift.  They're $140 bucks.  For less than the cost of a modern console, the mom could have gotten AirPods and an iPhone for her kid.  MetroPCS has an iPhone 7 for $150 (still).  Last year when I got my daughter's iPhone 7's, Metro had a deal if you switch from another carrier, they would give you the AirPods free with the purchase of a new phone or bringing over a current network compatible phone.  I walked out of the door with 2 iPhones and 2 sets of AirPods for $300+tax.  

Actual kids toys can be a lot more expensive than AirPods.  What's wrong with society (well, one of the things) is judgmental people rendering hyperbolic opinions that contain "back in my day" references as if it's significant.

Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting.

↑↑↑ Perfect example of hyperbole at it's worst ever in the history of the world. ↑↑↑  
    -Intentional
    MplsPJFC_PAidreykudu
  • Reply 12 of 57
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Sure it'll pass on its own, but afterwards it'll sound like shit.
    On the plus side, the kid'll never want to put it in his mouth again...
    gatorguyhcrefugeeCloudTalkindedgeckonormmviclauyycStrangeDaysfastasleepzroger73MicDorsey
  • Reply 13 of 57
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Personally I think Apple's imminent air tags look much tastier, at least in the artist conceptions floating around
    Gabywatto_cobracoolfactor
  • Reply 14 of 57
    neilm said:
    Sure it'll pass on its own, but afterwards it'll sound like shit.
    On the plus side, the kid'll never want to put it in his mouth again...

He could have thought it was a blueberry. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 57
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I work in Medical Radiology and have for over 30 years.
    The Doctor says it will pass, but I would have doubts unless there is known experience with the AirPod. If the literature says the AirPod will remain intact and not leak as it passes through, then it should be OK.

The lithium battery is highly toxic as would a watch battery. If I were the parent I would prefer that a GI doctor scope it out as it looks to be along the greater curvature of the stomach.

If it was a coin or marble it is no big deal. Battery or cluster of magnets is a different issue.
    viclauyyczroger73watto_cobragordoncy
  • Reply 16 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    sflocal said:

What are you talking about?  AirPods are are not expensive or elaborate as a gift.  They're $140 bucks.  For less than the cost of a modern console, the mom could have gotten AirPods and an iPhone for her kid.  MetroPCS has an iPhone 7 for $150 (still).  Last year when I got my daughter's iPhone 7's, Metro had a deal if you switch from another carrier, they would give you the AirPods free with the purchase of a new phone or bringing over a current network compatible phone.  I walked out of the door with 2 iPhones and 2 sets of AirPods for $300+tax.  

Actual kids toys can be a lot more expensive than AirPods.  What's wrong with society (well, one of the things) is judgmental people rendering hyperbolic opinions that contain "back in my day" references as if it's significant.

Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting.

↑↑↑ Perfect example of hyperbole at it's worst ever in the history of the world. ↑↑↑  
    -Intentional
    Well aren't you the grumpy one waiting for that AirPod to pass through!  Are you going to ask your parents for another pair?  Maybe some gummy-bear flavored ones this time around?
    edited January 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wonder which new iPhone the 7 year old got?

Brand new airpods and an iPhone for a 7 year old kid does seem a tad much to be honest, regardless of how well off the parents might or might not be. Most adults dont even get that good of an Xmas present I bet. Nobody bought me an iPhone for Xmas, not that I need a new iPhone.

I think that technology in general is great, and Ive probably said this before, but too much tech makes certain kids dumb, as they tend to overly rely on things like their phone, without ever having learned basic skills. I see evidence of this all of the time.

Airpods should probably not be given to people who do not know that Airpods belong in the ears and not in the mouth.

And under what rock has the doctor been living to never have heard of Airpods before?  Even if somebody is not an Apple user, Airpods can be seen everywhere. I cant step outside for 2 minutes without running into somebody wearing a pair.

I dont have a 7 year old kid, but if I did, then they should not expect any Airpods from me for Xmas, not because Im cheap, but because thats how I would raise my kids. And they wouldnt be getting any iPhone from me either or any phone at all when they were just 7.

My kids would be raised smart and I wouldnt be contributing to the idiocrafication of society. Thats probably not a real word, but I dont care.

pscooter63Gabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 57
    apple care when parents don't
    mwhiteStrangeDayszroger73watto_cobrafred1
  • Reply 19 of 57
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Ignoring judgements about whether iPods are an appropriate gift for a 7 year old, you shouldn't have to worry about a 7 year old swallowing stuff!
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 20 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    MplsP said:
    Ignoring judgements about whether iPods are an appropriate gift for a 7 year old, you shouldn't have to worry about a 7 year old swallowing stuff!
    True, a 7 year old who is in second grade is not a toddler, Perhaps they’re a bit “special”, is that the preferred term these days?
    watto_cobrabaconstang