After two months, Apple TV+ lacks a breakout hit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    badmonk said:

Besides what family doesn’t buy a qualifying Apple product annually?
    Exactly.
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Apple need more quality content.
    In November of this year - all the free annual subscriptions will come up for renewal.
    If Apple doesnt act quick (M&A) - many wont renew.

Which isn’t much of an issue - They will just have to give away another free year.  It’s nice they 
    have that option (An option Disney and Netflix do not have).

Its frustrating to see Apple move so slowly on this.

Im sure they know what they are doing.
    Why? Apple doesn’t depend on video service revenue, it’s an added bonus. They have more quality shows than Amazon did at launch for sure, so I don’t really see what’s frustrating about it. 
    Obviously your not a shareholder.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    As someone already posted, Apple does things for the “long view”. With billions of dollars in the bank, they could care less whether they are #1 this year, or even next year for that matter. When taken as part of the entire company, one section can lose money for a long time. Heck the original Apple TV was referred to for years as just a “side gig” ... something they were just playing around with. In any event, I truly don’t care if there is a break out hit as almost EVERYTHING I watch on AppleTV keeps me focused. Yeah, See bogged down ... but I thought it was still better than just about anything on any other network. I find myself, when looking for something new to watch, drifting back to AppleTV over and over. My wife and I are truly enjoying watching various series together. For All Mankind is actually something my entire family sits and watches. So did AppleTV “knock it out of the park”? Probably not. But they made a compelling service that has slowly drawn us in. Like Apple Maps, taking their time, slowly improving, and one day ... maybe three years, maybe five years ... we will look up and see them suddenly in the front.
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 58
    I certainly wouldn’t say it doesn’t have a ”break out” hit. TMS has me and my wife addicted, so has Servant. I also watch every other show (and movie) that comes out. Even though some genres are not my habitual cup of tea, the quality I’ve seen so far have me putting some prejudices aside!
     Agree. The writer of this article should stick to writing about Apple products and news, not reviewing content.
    anantksundaramdanhStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 58
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Servant is well filmed and acted, if you like creepy thrillers, definitely give it a try. It’s the only Apple series that I’ve watched all episodes. Adjust your HDR/brightness & black levels since it’s filmed nearly entirely in a dimly lit apartment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 58
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    There is enough goodness for me too look forward to new episodes every week..   breakout hits don't happen every month or year for anyone! 

Love Servant.. amazing and haunting... and very very well made ! 
    For All Man is great and keeps getting better and better .. 
    Morning show  is very nice too. 

See is ok...but a bit hard for me to digest and suspend my disbelief!

I cant tolerate Dickinsons ...

Overall, so far, my wife and i are very Happy with what Apple TV+ has delivered! 
    watto_cobrarandominternetpersonllama
  • Reply 27 of 58
    In November of this year - all the free annual subscriptions will come up for renewal.

Which isn’t much of an issue - They will just have to give away another free year.  It’s nice they 

Why? Apple doesn’t depend on video service revenue, it’s an added bonus. They have more quality shows than Amazon did at launch for sure, so I don’t really see what’s frustrating about it. 
    Obviously your not a shareholder.
    I am, and wondering exactly the same thing as he is. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 58
    A part that the article doesn’t touch and to me is the biggest issue of Apple TV is the actual app experience. It’s confusing as hell - horrible even. 

We use the AppleTV app on a Samsung TV and the experience is pretty much the same as the app on the actual Apple TV device.

So my wife opens up Apple TV to watch a movie. What she doesn’t understand - and I totally get looking at the UI and UX - is that Apple TV’s menu partially aggregates content from other providers and partially exposes content on its ‘own’ platform. For that content it both lists AppleTV+ content and content that I have bought on iTunes in the past that gets a lot of ‘attention’ on the main menu, 

So her first few attempts to play something fails: Succession fails because it’s HBO and we don’t get that in the Netherlands (but are still connected to the US store because we immigrated back to the Netherlands. I don’t want to switch stores because last time that happened I lost most of my content and Apple was very reluctant on helping us switch). She tries to play content from another provider and I warn her that is just 1 free episode and she’ll need a subscription for the other shows. She asks me why that restriction is there since “she is in Apple TV already”. A third attempt with other content provider being exposed within AppleTV fails because we aren’t subscribed to it. 
    Then she gets confused why my iTunes purchase library shows up and she doesn’t see the difference between that and Apple original content. 
    She finally scrolls through the AppleTV+ content and she notes how little there is. I explain that’s because the platform is so new. 
    She didn’t see the top menu choices where you can filter each content nor she gets the differences.

Now compare this to Netflix and Disney+. Once you are in, all content is part of Netflix. Select and play. Much easier menu system, content is always accessible. 

AppleTV+ is a UI/UX mess because it wants to be too much, similar to Amazon Prime (even they do a better job of differentiation content visually). If they don’t fix this, they’ll confuse the hell out of people and they’ll close the app for the easier alternatives.
    rogifan_newdavgregFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Just remember the public’s impression of Netflix when it was switching to streaming and phasing out dvds. 

Most of the reviews were bad.

Look at them now. 

It’s too soon to give Apple a pass/fail grade. 

StrangeDayswatto_cobrallama
  • Reply 30 of 58
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,331member
    A part that the article doesn’t touch and to me is the biggest issue of Apple TV is the actual app experience. It’s confusing as hell - horrible even. 

We use the AppleTV app on a Samsung TV and the experience is pretty much the same as the app on the actual Apple TV device.

So my wife opens up Apple TV to watch a movie. What she doesn’t understand - and I totally get looking at the UI and UX - is that Apple TV’s menu partially aggregates content from other providers and partially exposes content on its ‘own’ platform. For that content it both lists AppleTV+ content and content that I have bought on iTunes in the past that gets a lot of ‘attention’ on the main menu, 

So her first few attempts to play something fails: Succession fails because it’s HBO and we don’t get that in the Netherlands (but are still connected to the US store because we immigrated back to the Netherlands. I don’t want to switch stores because last time that happened I lost most of my content and Apple was very reluctant on helping us switch). She tries to play content from another provider and I warn her that is just 1 free episode and she’ll need a subscription for the other shows. She asks me why that restriction is there since “she is in Apple TV already”. A third attempt with other content provider being exposed within AppleTV fails because we aren’t subscribed to it. 
    Then she gets confused why my iTunes purchase library shows up and she doesn’t see the difference between that and Apple original content. 
    She finally scrolls through the AppleTV+ content and she notes how little there is. I explain that’s because the platform is so new. 
    She didn’t see the top menu choices where you can filter each content nor she gets the differences.

Now compare this to Netflix and Disney+. Once you are in, all content is part of Netflix. Select and play. Much easier menu system, content is always accessible. 

AppleTV+ is a UI/UX mess because it wants to be too much, similar to Amazon Prime (even they do a better job of differentiation content visually). If they don’t fix this, they’ll confuse the hell out of people and they’ll close the app for the easier alternatives.
    Yes, it should have own app to be clear what is with the service but still allow TV app to bring your content together like it does with refinements make it clearer as well.

Also, their shows run a recap ever ep, then a 3min intro the skip function doesn't open up till after the recap and even then leaves 15-30seconds of the titles-producers-editors names to play. Have they learned nothing from Netflix. let people be sucked into the content let them binge. Stop treating the audience like idiots who can't remember what they saw last hour or last week even. Stop pandering to the talent who insists people see their names ever episode. Wasn't so bad in For All Mankind as that had distinct chapter like episodes. Morning Wars was more short chapter scene change style and SEE was almost a set of double episodes strung together.

Can we talk about the swearing elephant in the room? A big deal was made that Apple Execs were hsving to effect on language and trying to restrict swearing yet 90% of the swearing seems still unnecessary. In SEE the language dialect is sparse and atonal yet people still swear in complete contrast to the dialect. 

Really enjoyed all shows so far but overall would say it lacks the confidence of say Netflix to break the mold and keep the audience on the hook.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 31 of 58
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,248member

Why is it "frustrating"? Are you desperate for instant gratification week after week after week? Apple is just one player in an industry with so many others, and they are playing the long game. Let's just appreciate what we have and enjoy it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 58
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,248member
    I now know why Apple is giving away a year of AppleTV+ for free when purchasing a new AppleTV box.. it's becoming increasingly difficult to compete in that arena. I spent a week at my uncle's place with his new Smart TV (forget which brand) and the built-in apps were *just as good* as those provided on the AppleTV. The Netflix app was virtually identical! I was blown away, as I always felt that the AppleTV experience was superior to the apps built into TVs, but that has now changed. Android-based TVs offer a nearly identical experience, including matching the Siri-capable remote!
    davgreg
  • Reply 33 of 58
    It took HBO nearly 120 months to have a breakout hit. After 2 months of being in existence Apple TV+ gets this article. 
    danhStrangeDayswatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 58
    mattinoz said:
    Yes, it should have own app to be clear what is with the service but still allow TV app to bring your content together like it does with refinements make it clearer as well.

Also, their shows run a recap ever ep, then a 3min intro the skip function doesn't open up till after the recap and even then leaves 15-30seconds of the titles-producers-editors names to play. Have they learned nothing from Netflix. let people be sucked into the content let them binge. Stop treating the audience like idiots who can't remember what they saw last hour or last week even. Stop pandering to the talent who insists people see their names ever episode. Wasn't so bad in For All Mankind as that had distinct chapter like episodes. Morning Wars was more short chapter scene change style and SEE was almost a set of double episodes strung together.

Can we talk about the swearing elephant in the room? A big deal was made that Apple Execs were hsving to effect on language and trying to restrict swearing yet 90% of the swearing seems still unnecessary. In SEE the language dialect is sparse and atonal yet people still swear in complete contrast to the dialect. 

Really enjoyed all shows so far but overall would say it lacks the confidence of say Netflix to break the mold and keep the audience on the hook.
    Good points!

Another annoying thing is a bug in the app, where it doesn’t correctly remember where you were before. In numerous occasions I stopped the app or video and when I got back in later it sometimes continued like 15 minutes prior to where I stopped.
    It’s also way too easy to accidentally stop the video (very sensitive to false positive touch input). These things aren’t real breakers but they add up.  
    mattinoz
  • Reply 35 of 58
    I watched The Morning Show. It was good but not great IMO. And way too much cursing. Every other word out of someone’s mouth was the F-bomb. Getting nominated for Golden Globes is nice but the Golden Globes want star power at their awards ceremony so any show with big names will get nominations. Plus they’re all in on streaming now. NBC/CBS/ABC hardly get any nominations anymore. The second season of Big Little Lies was totally meh but all the big name cast members were nominated. I knew the minute Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon were signed up for The Morning Show it would get awards show nominations.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    The "Servant" absolutely rocks with talented writing, direction, acting. Worthy of peer recognition and awards.  Just about the only item in the streaming universe with a day/date release schedule that governs my watching.  Required viewing.  Very likely, re-viewing once the season ends and we're waiting for the next.
    watto_cobramobird
  • Reply 37 of 58
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

All good points. One I think Apple doesn’t keep TV+ content separate because there’s not enough of it now. They don’t want people to see how sparse the library of content is. Two, I think Apple’s business model right now is more about the 30/15% cut from people signing up for other providers subscription offerings (aka TV channels). They want people signing up for HBO, Showtime, etc. inside the TV app. So TV channels will be front and center. It makes for not a great consumer UX. I hope that changes within the next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 58
    The funny thing is that the definition for a "hit" show for streaming is just mainstream media buzz. None of these companies provide actual viewership numbers.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Mcnaugha2 said:
    I certainly wouldn’t say it doesn’t have a ”break out” hit. TMS has me and my wife addicted, so has Servant. I also watch every other show (and movie) that comes out. Even though some genres are not my habitual cup of tea, the quality I’ve seen so far have me putting some prejudices aside!
    They don’t mention Servant enough on AppleInsider. My only complaint about it is the 30 min episode length and the week between episodes.

Lots of folk talking about TMS of all ages. My only complaint about that show is Bel Powley. Terrible actress. Terrible character.

I couldn’t make it through the first ep of See. I can’t buy into the concept. It’s just Jason Momoa in a typecast role.
    This.  Of all the series we watch on ATV+, we look forward to Servant each week more than the others.  Not sure how many episodes make up the season, but in my opinion, seasons are too short nowadays.  Dickinson was too short.  Wait another year for what?  Another 8 episodes?  I'll have lost interest by then.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobratenthousandthings
  • Reply 40 of 58
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    If a tree falls in the forest...

But seriously, I think even if they had ‘Game of Thrones’, it would not be a “break out” hit because Apple’s service is in the fledging stage. Once the audience builds up it there will be an opportunity to have a larger culture impact. 
    robin huberwatto_cobrarandominternetperson