backup to ipod

emeeme
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi... which might be the best way to backup my user folder to my ipod? or is there any application that can do that?... im currently trying with retrospect but when i run it tells me the device is busy...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Retrospect might work, but the best bet would be to use your iPod as a Firewire drive (duh), copy your user's folder into the iPod, by dragging and dropping, and then keeping your iPod safe. (No backup is gonna cut it when your iPod is smoking dense black smoke out of its Firewire port) Then, every week or every day or whatever, copy your users home into the iPod, and the iPod will replace the old Home with the new Home. I don't have an iPod, but I have done this kind of thing with other external HDDs. I hope that I have served you well, eme. Eme?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Should be able to just manually copy it over.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Drag'n'drop: there are no hidden system files in your Home folder.

Carbon Copy Cloner will do the job, but you can only filter folders at the root of your hard drive, so you'd end up with a copy of your complete Users folder (this is how I sync my home folders between my Powerbook and Cube, FYI). Not really an issue if you're the only user.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    emeeme Posts: 55member
    thanks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You are most welcome, Sahib.