Apple may split its 5G 'iPhone 12' into two launches

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    When I am in 4G my speed is already covering all my needs. What would I need more speed for?
    Only when you download big files then you would need it. 

So I care only about USB-C. 
    No USB-C - no purchase until my phone breaks or becomes obsolete.  
  • Reply 22 of 24
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    MplsP said:

lkrupp said:
    5G is turning out to be a cruel hoax. From what I’ve read the sub-6GHz version offers little improvement over LTE speedwise and the mmWave version has transmission range/interference problems. But hey, it’s a nerd gotta-have isn’t it.
    The main argument I've heard for 5G is "because it's the future." From everything I've read, 5G is more important for other uses besides smartphones. The one benefit I can see for smartphones is the higher number of connections allowed per cellular node which will likely become more important as more devices connect to the network and in highly congested areas like sports arenas.
    ^^^^
    YES, that's the conclusion I've come to while reading about the massive 5G infrastructure changes (both hardware and software). The normal phone user is not really the main growth target for 5G - it's IoT (Internet of Things), which will far outnumber 5G phone users. mmWave helps the phone user, but I suspect it's being used as a marketing tool now to get 4G users to upgrade to (and pay for) 5G while the carriers build out the infrastructure (for IoT).

If you only read about how 5G benefits phone users, you won't realize what's really going on. In the picture below, the smartphone user is "Mobile broadband."

For more information, read up on "network slicing" -- 5G is an amazing technology (from the network side). Taken in context, mmWave is just frosting on fresh new cake.

edited January 2020
  • Reply 23 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    GG1 said:
    MplsP said:

lkrupp said:
    5G is turning out to be a cruel hoax. From what I’ve read the sub-6GHz version offers little improvement over LTE speedwise and the mmWave version has transmission range/interference problems. But hey, it’s a nerd gotta-have isn’t it.
    The main argument I've heard for 5G is "because it's the future." From everything I've read, 5G is more important for other uses besides smartphones. The one benefit I can see for smartphones is the higher number of connections allowed per cellular node which will likely become more important as more devices connect to the network and in highly congested areas like sports arenas.
    ^^^^
    YES, that's the conclusion I've come to while reading about the massive 5G infrastructure changes (both hardware and software). The normal phone user is not really the main growth target for 5G - it's IoT (Internet of Things), which will far outnumber 5G phone users. mmWave helps the phone user, but I suspect it's being used as a marketing tool now to get 4G users to upgrade to (and pay for) 5G while the carriers build out the infrastructure (for IoT).

If you only read about how 5G benefits phone users, you won't realize what's really going on. In the picture below, the smartphone user is "Mobile broadband."

For more information, read up on "network slicing" -- 5G is an amazing technology (from the network side). Taken in context, mmWave is just frosting on fresh new cake.

Network slicing is a major characteristic of 5G. It is possible over 4G but 5G takes things to a new level and when integrated into an architecture that is also improved on every level, opens up the door to new possibilities.

Security is just one of them. 

https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/white-papers/5g-security---enabling-a-trustworthy-5g-system
  • Reply 24 of 24
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    avon b7 said:
    GG1 said:
    MplsP said:

lkrupp said:
    ^^^^

Network slicing is a major characteristic of 5G. It is possible over 4G but 5G takes things to a new level and when integrated into an architecture that is also improved on every level, opens up the door to new possibilities.

Security is just one of them. 

https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/white-papers/5g-security---enabling-a-trustworthy-5g-system

Good article.

Network slicing is the architectural change that enables so many applications, including security (which can be handled selectively "per slice," as your article pointed out).

The more I read about this stuff (on the network side, not the phone side), the more impressed I am -- and the more I'm convinced that the normal phone user is not the target growth market for 5G, despite the addition of mmWave. Don't get me wrong - mmWave is a good 5G enabler, but this is merely the physical layer. The amazing stuff is in the upper layers.