Rumored 'iPhone SE 2' shown off in new renders and video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,446member
    cornchip said:
     :'(

huge size, camera bump, not full screen, no Face ID... what am I gonna do when my SE gets too long in the tooth?????

how hard would it have been to just put an edge to edge display and Face ID in an SE chassis? or at least give us the iPhoneX body with the better screen if we're going to have to have a bigger device. hrumph. 

edit:: And they're still selling the 8... sooo are they going to discontinue that when they release the "9" or whatever it's going to be branded? why not just fill in th.... whatever I'm done thinking about it.
    if you want an iPhone X, why don’t you buy an iPhone X?

I'd guess:-
    - To big in hand and pocket
    - To slippy in construction. Especially in more humid environments.
    - Camera bump makes it likely to catch.
    - Needs a case adds to bulk in hand and pocket.
    - Case bulk could actually be used in device to make it more compact and improve battery life.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    mattinoz said:
    cornchip said:
     :'(

huge size, camera bump, not full screen, no Face ID... what am I gonna do when my SE gets too long in the tooth?????

how hard would it have been to just put an edge to edge display and Face ID in an SE chassis? or at least give us the iPhoneX body with the better screen if we're going to have to have a bigger device. hrumph. 

edit:: And they're still selling the 8... sooo are they going to discontinue that when they release the "9" or whatever it's going to be branded? why not just fill in th.... whatever I'm done thinking about it.
    if you want an iPhone X, why don’t you buy an iPhone X?

I'd guess:-
    - To big in hand and pocket
    - To slippy in construction. Especially in more humid environments.
    - Camera bump makes it likely to catch.
    - Needs a case adds to bulk in hand and pocket.
    - Case bulk could actually be used in device to make it more compact and improve battery life.
    Apparently you didn't read the bolded part that I was responding to.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Shame on apple for its greed. Two phones under the Chinese market for only $ 187 and $ 101. They both have 64 GB
     storage withh 6GB and 4GB ram respectively.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Boooo!  Wayyyyyyyyyy to big!  It is huge, 4.7” size!  I will stick with my SE until Apple go back to the 4” size!  Secondly, they going to put crappy component that are 3 years old with a new SOC and call it new!  iPhone 8 chassis, old camera technology, less RAM and old touch ID!  Yuck!  Suckers buy! ;)
    edited January 2020 baconstangleftoverbacon
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Might have less RAM and be slower even with an A13 inside.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    M68000 said:
    Does the name SE stand for something?  Initials for something?   
    SE = Special Edition!
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Apple usually limit the functionality of cheaper iPhone by having less RAM inside it so it may not be faster over all.  That the way Apple make sure you upgrade.  Spend more, last longer!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    zimmie said:
    cornchip said:

Probably harder than you would think. The Face ID notch needs to be a certain absolute width to provide enough of a rangefinder base to measure depth accurately. Mounting the camera system in a narrower screen would involve shrinking or eliminating the ears. That would require significant changes to the iOS screen arrangement to build some kind of mix between the older, rectangular screens and the new ones with curved corners.

Plus the notch is part of the visual identity of Face ID. I don't think Apple would make a phone with Face ID but without the notch for maybe four more years (six years after the introduction of the notch).

Not true.  It is scaled base on size of the screen.  5.8” vs. 6.1”!  Face ID works pretty much works on the X which was a 4.7” size iPhone!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Hank2.0 said:
    I have two SE iPhones.  However, the phone they show of that size and with rounded edges is no SE.  
    Amen. If I wanted an 8 sized iPhone I would have bought an iPhone 8. I have an SE because IT IS SMALL!

Yes, and that's the ridiculous part of this:  
    --  Nobody wants a small screen
    --  Nobody wants a big phone
    -- People want a big screen in a small phone

Apple could simply put a bezeless, full faced screen in the SE and it would have had a screen approximating that of the iPhone 8 in a small form factor.
    Instead, from other rumors, they stuck a state of the art processor (not needed by 90%!) in an obsolete iPhone 8.

If these rumors are true, it leaves only a single question:  "What they hell was Apple thinking?"

I look at my grandson's Xr and it makes both my (former) iPhone 6+ and current iPhone 7 look totally obsolete -- like I'm driving a horse and buggy on an interstate highway.
    edited January 2020 harry wild
  • Reply 30 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wood1208 said:
    This iPhone 9 can kill iPhone 8 and older and convenience users with iPhone TouchID legion to upgrade to iPhone 9/SE2 at modest price comparing to XR. Others will say thank you Apple but if we need to upgrade, iPhone 12 5G is our next upgrade. In a nutshell, success of SE2 will be nothing but price.
    Agreed, the likely intent of the SE line was to offer a less expensive model, by utilizing older tech — and older shell and in this case, much older TouchID tech vs FaceID sensor arrays. That it was smaller was probably a side effect of the older shell by the 5-series back in the day. 

That is true, it was a less expensive phone....
    But it ALSO provided the small hand-sized phone that Steve Jobs long preferred.

It's had a dual appeal.  Some like it for one thing, some for the other, others like it for both.
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 31 of 37
    longfanglongfang Posts: 509member
    mattinoz said:
    Camera bump: Check
    Rounded Edges: Check
    Phablet Size: Check

every last thing that had me dump my iPhone 6S for the SE the day it came out.

Apple. You are missing the boat here. There is a significant number of folks who absolutely despise the slippery large size of what your new phones have become.

Why not give us a REAL SE2 (Special Edition). Take the existing SE, pack in an edge to edge screen, keep touch ID, updated internals and camera, and I guarantee you will sell millions. I know many folks who would gladly pay a premium for a small phone.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone SE. I will continue to use this form factor until you give us another small phone, or it becomes completely obsolete.

There are small phones on the Android platform (the Palm Palm comes to mind), and the Lite Phone is a compromise that's more or less a feature phone.

Please don't abandon us.
    Plus it has a glass back for extra breakabity and case thickness requirements.

Piss off, you can pry the wireless charging from my cold dead hands.

Also it helps if you’re not a clumsy klutz.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Hank2.0 said:
    I have two SE iPhones.  However, the phone they show of that size and with rounded edges is no SE.  
    Amen. If I wanted an 8 sized iPhone I would have bought an iPhone 8. I have an SE because IT IS SMALL!

Apple could simply put a bezeless, full faced screen in the SE and it would have had a screen approximating that of the iPhone 8 in a small form factor.
    Instead, from other rumors, they stuck a state of the art processor (not needed by 90%!) in an obsolete iPhone 8.

If these rumors are true, it leaves only a single question:  "What they hell was Apple thinking?"

I look at my grandson's Xr and it makes both my (former) iPhone 6+ and current iPhone 7 look totally obsolete -- like I'm driving a horse and buggy on an interstate highway.
    Apple just recycling old parts,  new SOC into a new iPhone model for the suckers who don’t know technology and pricing it into a price tag of around $400-$600.  Add additional $200 more, you could get a 2019 iPhone!  These will be sucker who will buy this “budget” iPhone thinking it is state of the art iPhone but it really 3 years old components repackage with the current SOC inside.  APPLE WILL MAKE A KILLING ON THE PROFIT MARGIN FOR EACH BUDGET IPHONE SOLD!
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 33 of 37
    jingojingo Posts: 118member
    I have three iPhone 6S in the family which will be replaced by this phone if/when it arrives. This is the first iPhone since then that will tempt me - the 6S is still absolutely fine but they are starting to get a bit battered and won’t be supported for ever. I have no need of the super new featured that subsequent models have offered - the price of the phones is not justified by the additional features. There is one other thing that has been a factor and that is the 3.5mm audio jack which is very convenient, but I will be prepared to finally sacrifice that for a reasonably priced, reasonably sized new phone that will carry on being supported for another decent number of years. I bet I’m not alone in this. One other thing to remember is that Apple will know EXACTLY how many old iPhones of different models are still in use. That will tell them a lot about the potential upgrade market this phone will fill. Don’t try and dispute the festure set - Apple will always have a better idea of the market needs for a product like this than you will.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Hank2.0 said:

Apple just recycling old parts,  new SOC into a new iPhone model for the suckers who don’t know technology and pricing it into a price tag of around $400-$600.  Add additional $200 more, you could get a 2019 iPhone!  These will be sucker who will buy this “budget” iPhone thinking it is state of the art iPhone but it really 3 years old components repackage with the current SOC inside.  APPLE WILL MAKE A KILLING ON THE PROFIT MARGIN FOR EACH BUDGET IPHONE SOLD!
    Or, they're offering a cheaper model leveraging older production lines and an older form factor for those customers who neither care about "state of the art" and are happy to pay less for something that works as well as they need it to. Their profit margins will be roughly the same as every other thing they sell, no matter how many capital letters you use.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    My SE bricked this year, even after a battery replacement.  Loved the phone, liked the price.  Just fed up with the trend that bigger is better.  Like holding a tablet to your ear.  So, abandoned Apple and went with the S9.  Features are really good, screen is amazing, stability sucks.  But, I'll have it quite some time, unless Apple brings us an SE sized, upgraded device.  Either that or a full-screen  smart flip phone from Motorola that doesn't cost $1500.  Long live the flipper.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Apple usually limit the functionality of cheaper iPhone by having less RAM inside it so it may not be faster over all.  That the way Apple make sure you upgrade.  Spend more, last longer!
    It’s rumored to have 3GB, same as iPhone X and XR. With an A13, faster than both of those models. Smaller screen than both those models, but with TouchID, which some prefer. If priced at $399 as rumored, I think it may very well sell the 30 million units Ming Chi Kuo expects Apple to sell in the first year of the “SE2”. (Not sure where the 2 to 4 million unit estimate mentioned in the article originates.)
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 37 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,446member
    longfang said:
    mattinoz said:
    Camera bump: Check
    Rounded Edges: Check
    Phablet Size: Check

every last thing that had me dump my iPhone 6S for the SE the day it came out.

Apple. You are missing the boat here. There is a significant number of folks who absolutely despise the slippery large size of what your new phones have become.

Why not give us a REAL SE2 (Special Edition). Take the existing SE, pack in an edge to edge screen, keep touch ID, updated internals and camera, and I guarantee you will sell millions. I know many folks who would gladly pay a premium for a small phone.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone SE. I will continue to use this form factor until you give us another small phone, or it becomes completely obsolete.

There are small phones on the Android platform (the Palm Palm comes to mind), and the Lite Phone is a compromise that's more or less a feature phone.

Please don't abandon us.
    Plus it has a glass back for extra breakabity and case thickness requirements.

Piss off, you can pry the wireless charging from my cold dead hands.

Also it helps if you’re not a clumsy klutz.

My almost 6 years old naked 5s goes along way to discrediting your character assessment. Still seen lots to people have issues with iPhone 6 and beyond catching the camera bump. Casing them up seems to be only thing that helps which adds bulk removes most the appearance of the device in the first place.

Apple should be trying to make a phone that can be naked agian.