Apple Watch alerts YouTuber to potential tachycardia

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tjwolf said:
    The AW tells you that your heart rate is elevated, but it doesn't tell you *why*.  I recently went to the ER because my AW told me the same thing as this blogger.  It turned out I was just dehydrated.  I'm not advocating people not go to the ER when their AW tells them their heart rate is abnormally high.  But in my case, I wish I had thought of dehydration as a possible cause and measured again after having had a few glasses of water.   Would have saved me hours in the ER and quite a few dollars.

I’m guessing the Apple Watch can’t say “why” because to do that it would need to be FDA approved.

Mostly because it needs the additional data typically obtained during a physical (Blood pressure, blood work, EKG, etc., etc., etc.,)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I'd verify it myself with my finger on my artery and a stopwatch first before believing it.  I've found my AW3 almost always is wrong when I am doing a workout (walk).  It starts out over 120bpm and takes at least 5 minutes before it settles down to the 70-80 range.  It used to scare me but now I know it's just plain wrong.
    Maybe that Watch should have gone back to Apple during the warranty period. It's performance may not be indicative of all Watches, just as mine that's never missed a beat compared to manual and another consumer BP monitor, a consumer Pulse oximeter, and hospital Plus-ox is only one data point. There are a lot of others that suggest the Apple Watch as opposed to your Watch, is pretty accurate within its scope of functionality.

People whom a doctor may see as at risk for a possible cardiac event are often put on out-patient monitors and sometimes telemetry. It appears this provides continuous monitoring of the heart rate, and possibly detect arrhythmia, using chest electrodes. 

That seems pretty similar to what the Watch does but on a more accurate, sophisticated scale. And the Watch couldn't do it continuously for  24hrs.

If my Watch showed my pulse to be abnormally high I might check it manually and hope it's wrong, but I'd be very doubtful. Like stated previously, it's job is to alert not diagnose. That's good enough for me. They may well be non-life threatening episodes of some nature, but I'd want to know WTF.

It's typical for the heart of an out of shape person to be abnormally elevated when they first start out.   And, checking your heart rate manually seldom works because, as soon as you stop to check it, it drops down closer to normal.

The fix is to get in better shape.  Or, I have found that, after 5 minutes or so, simply stop for a minute, let the heart rate drop then start again and everything is OK.   It takes an out of shape body a little while to get into exercise mode.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,438member
    Last Monday, I had Apple Watch alert me of my high heart rate again... I felt under the weather and had a few coughs. I went to ER and found I have pneumonia. Again!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    netrox said:
    Last Monday, I had Apple Watch alert me of my high heart rate again... I felt under the weather and had a few coughs. I went to ER and found I have pneumonia. Again!
    Pneumonia can be a serious matter even in an otherwise healthy person. Take it seriously, follow the treatment plan and monitor for any breathing issues or worse changes. Having it "again"...how soon since the last time? Viral or bacterial or both? Pneumonia can result in lung damage for the long term too. Take it seriously and get well. Best wishes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I'd verify it myself with my finger on my artery and a stopwatch first before believing it.  I've found my AW3 almost always is wrong when I am doing a workout (walk).  It starts out over 120bpm and takes at least 5 minutes before it settles down to the 70-80 range.  It used to scare me but now I know it's just plain wrong.
    When I first got my Apple Watch, I used it in conjunction with my chest strap for a period of time.  The readings were nearly identical every time I checked.

Your mileage obviously varies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    The one time that I got this type of alert, I was waiting in the back of the church for my bride to arrive for our wedding 🙂 was so nervous. 
    svanstrom