Gym encounter sees Tim Cook become early investor in Nebia smart shower

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Nebia shower head creator has recounted how a chance early morning meeting with Tim Cook in a gym led to the Apple CEO becoming an investor in the company.

Nebia by Moen shower head
Nebia by Moen shower head

Apple's Tim Cook has, as an individual, become a major backer of a shower head company whose latest product is currently raising funds on Kickstarter. The Nebia shower head, made in conjunction with Moen, atomizes water to provide cleansing steam that uses around 45% less water than regular showers.

"Six weeks after moving to the Bay Area," Nebia co-founder and president Phillip Winter told CNBC, "and early in the morning, I was coming out of the women's locker room because I'd installed a prototype there. Rounding the corner into the men's locker room, I saw [Tim Cook] on the bench press, like ten feet away. And I was like, 'Oh! He's just seen me come out of the women's locker room!'"

Winter had arranged to install prototypes in this particular Palo Alto gym with the aim of seeing how it functioned with high volumes of users throughout a busy day. Users were asked to give feedback on the shower, and Tim Cook did.

"He was one of the first people to try the prototype," continues Winter. "It was pretty basic at that point, but he got the idea and tried it for a few days, and believed in what we were doing. And fortunately became our first investor."

According to Bloomberg, Cook's feedback took the form of emails that were "very long, well crafted and detailed."

However, alongside product feedback and the a significant but unspecified personal investment in the company, Cook was also advised Nebia in issues such as raising further finance and then its partnership with Moen.

Cook's original involvement reportedly began around 2015, though he has contributed further investment since then.

Close up on the shower head nozzles in Nebia by Moen.
Close up on the shower head nozzles in Nebia by Moen.

Winter has revealed this investment story as his company promotes its Kickstarter campaign for "Nebia by Moen," its latest product.

CNBC asked why Nebia is using Kickstarter when it had both a partnership with Moen and backers such as Tim Cook.

"We started on Kickstarter four or five years ago and it's a community that gave us life," said Winter. "It's an amazing way to bring a new idea to the world because you get all these people who are interested in something and will go back and will give you feedback. So it's our way of [showing] gratitude."

"And frankly," he continued, "as a small company we still need the funds and the early volume to get it off the ground."

At time of writing, Nebia has exceeded its $150,000 Kickstarter goal, with current pledges at $830,000. The product is to sell for around $200, compared to around $500 for similar units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and could use a new and better shower head. I like the rain-style heads (with a handheld wand); there is one I found by a hotel chain that I thought was decent but at over $1k it's not worth it. I'd buy this one in a heartbeat except that my tub is clawfoot with the shower piping exposed so I'm not certain I could get this one to work right based on their videos.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Nevermind.......
    edited January 2020 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 21
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Ehh, $200 for a shower head?
    That means I have to wait for 2 years to beak even ... 
  • Reply 4 of 21
    What the...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Soli said:
    I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and could use a new and better shower head. I like the rain-style heads (with a handheld wand); there is one I found by a hotel chain that I thought was decent but at over $1k it's not worth it. I'd buy this one in a heartbeat except that my tub is clawfoot with the shower piping exposed so I'm not certain I could get this one to work right based on their videos.
    We own some multi-unit buildings with upscale apartments. We've fully renovated 6 out of 8 of them. We've had excellent experience with brass shower heads (in any colour or style) from AliExpress. In our units we put 10" to 16" ceiling-mounted rain shower heads. They are very inexpensive but are amazing. However, we don't cheap out on the valves which are very pricey but you can set up price alerts on CamelCamelCamel for. Don't think you have to go with an all-in-one. We have friends who have installed full shower units from Ali with great results. Just make sure you're buying brass ones.
    Thanks. I'll look at AliExpress. I wish I could do a ceiling mount, but this house is probably 120 years old with high ceilings and the claw foot tub is center mounted with the pipes coming from under the house, which has about 5-6 feet of space underneath so it was far easier and less costly to go up than to go down.

PS: Off topic: Why are hotel shower heads always so damn low? I've seen it apartments and houses, too, but it's most egregious in hotels, even the pricier ones. I'm above the average height but I'm not atypically tall and yet I'm always annoyed that my face is so rarely in the path of a hotel shower heard without lowering myself. As you mention, the values are pricey, but another foot of copper pipping in the wall isn't inexpensive.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    I have this system which looks stunning and has a great rainshower experience. Internally there are a couple of design quirks but they can be mitigated. Had it for a few years and it still looks beautiful.

https://www.amazon.com/GROHE-26250000-Rainshower-Smartcontrol-Thermostat/dp/B01A5VJP5E
    Fred257
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    We own some multi-unit buildings with upscale apartments. We've fully renovated 6 out of 8 of them. We've had excellent experience with brass shower heads (in any colour or style) from AliExpress. In our units we put 10" to 16" ceiling-mounted rain shower heads. They are very inexpensive but are amazing. However, we don't cheap out on the valves which are very pricey but you can set up price alerts on CamelCamelCamel for. Don't think you have to go with an all-in-one. We have friends who have installed full shower units from Ali with great results. Just make sure you're buying brass ones.
    Thanks. I'll look at AliExpress. I wish I could do a ceiling mount, but this house is probably 120 years old with high ceilings and the claw foot tub is center mounted with the pipes coming from under the house, which has about 5-6 feet of space underneath so it was far easier and less costly to go up than to go down.

PS: Off topic: Why are hotel shower heads always so damn low? I've seen it apartments and houses, too, but it's most egregious in hotels, even the pricier ones. I'm above the average height but I'm not atypically tall and yet I'm always annoyed that my face is so rarely in the path of a hotel shower heard without lowering myself. As you mention, the values are pricey, but another foot of copper pipping in the wall isn't inexpensive.
    A lot of hotels do cheap renovations and simply cover the old tub a new liner of some type. I've found that this actually raises the floor of the tub. The shower head is actually at the same old height but the new raised tub floor makes it seem lower.

• Reply 8 of 21
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    The multiple outlet atomizing showerhead itself looks potentially interesting, and for $100 or so I'd give it a try. But why the telephone shower, the dangling hoses and that giant wall fixture thing? No thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    A friend of mine was recently raving about how much he loved a new shower head he got that’s in this style (high powered misting almost, not the rainfall ones some are discussing here). He said it was life changing. I don’t know the brand off hand but it was also expensive. There are other similar ones that are cheaper, but haven’t looked into those too much. I’m definitely curious though, after his ranting about how amazing it was. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    neilm said:
    The multiple outlet atomizing showerhead itself looks potentially interesting, and for $100 or so I'd give it a try. But why the telephone shower, the dangling hoses and that giant wall fixture thing? No thanks.
    They have an option without the handheld attachment.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I got one of the earlier versions on Kickstarter. Eventually sent it back for a few reasons, primary among which you lose the ability to have a decent hand-held spray that is critical to rinsing/cleaning the shower stall. The “mist” that the Nebia’s unit emits is not at all effective in performing this function. 
    fastasleepavon b7chemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Cool!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I wonder how long it would be before the atomiser blocked with scale.
    watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I got one of these off Kickstarter a couple years ago when it was their version 1.  I love it.  It feels amazing and does a great job of covering the body in a pleasant mist of water.  However, I did not see the reduction of water usage that they claimed.  I did see a little, but 50% less water was not what I achieved.  However, that was not the motivating factor for me.  The show head was easy to install and feels great.  One of the few times a kickstarter project actually delivered on its promise!  Yes $200 is a lot, but if it's going to last for many years it's not that much of an investment, especially for someone who's willing to spend a little more for the best products (i.e. Apple technology) it's well worth the $.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Having bought a ton of shower heads over the years, the Nebia 2, I got thru Kickstarter was worth it. I also ordered the latest Moen model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    entropys said:
    I wonder how long it would be before the atomiser blocked with scale.
    Always the glass half full with you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I supported the Nebia 1.0 and Nebia 2.0.

1.0 - Misty shower with small droplets that get cold fast.
    2.0 - Huge improvement with larger droplet and actually stays warm. I didn't have to increase the water heat.  I enjoyed it.

Drawbacks of 2.0 - Humidity increased easily with multiple nozzles. The TPU material they substituted stilled stained easily. Difficult to clean. Cost of it was expensive and more than this New Moen Edition.

Moen Edition by specs... - cheaper, less nozzles than 2.0 though supposedly the droplets are larger than 2.0 so it should stay longer. This also means that the humidity would decrease so there is less atomization of the water.

I hope the metal plating will be better than the TPU.

Drawbacks - More hoses, less nozzles. Nebia doesn't offer technical comparisons.

• Reply 18 of 21
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    They want how much for a showerhead? 

Wow.  What a ripoff.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    darkvader said:

Wow.  What a ripoff.
    What a maroon.

It's not just a shower head. It's a adjustable wall mount system, that given the space, is very easy to install. Even you could do it. It also has a hand held shower wand. Depending on the execution, I don't see $200 as a little pricey, but far from the hater-speak 'rip-off'.

I'm just not a fan of mist showers or saving 70% of water per shower. I want a shower head that pummels me in to wakefulness, ready to carpe the diem. But I'll have to buy it from a smuggler who sneaks them into the state, from the back of his truck.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    macgui said:
    darkvader said:

Wow.  What a ripoff.
    What a maroon.

It's not just a shower head. It's a adjustable wall mount system, that given the space, is very easy to install. Even you could do it. It also has a hand held shower wand. Depending on the execution, I don't see $200 as a little pricey, but far from the hater-speak 'rip-off'.

I'm just not a fan of mist showers or saving 70% of water per shower. I want a shower head that pummels me in to wakefulness, ready to carpe the diem. But I'll have to buy it from a smuggler who sneaks them into the state, from the back of his truck.
    There are countless shower heads that barely filter water into droplets—and certainly aren't atomizing the droplets—that are well into the thousands.

I don't know if this would be a good fit for me even though I do like the ability to mist, but I'd be willing to give it a try once I have a tankless water heater at the faucet so the water temp will be hot without a great deal of energy loss.