Apple TV+ team boosted by hiring of Netflix platform engineer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is continuing to add more employees to its roster for the Apple TV+ project, with the latest hire Ruslan Meshenberg, an engineer who worked on Netflix's streaming platform.

For quite a few years, Apple has offered consumers ways to watch and listen to content while taking advantage of streaming. While this largely consists of Apple Music, and more recently Apple TV , the need to send content from its servers to user devices is evident in other ways, including movie rentals from the iTunes store and even information for Apple Maps.

According to sources familiar with the person speaking to the Wall Street Journal, Apple has hired Meshenberg into its internet services arm, joining the technical team working on the platform used for streaming Apple TV+ content. Meshenberg is allegedly expected to help Apple get past technical hurdles it is hitting as it builds out the platform.

Meshenberg's work at Netflix involved the expansion of that streaming service's infrastructure, ensuring video content from the service was provided to subscribers despite the massive scaling problem. This was at a time when Netflix was starting to operate in more than 50 countries at the same time, with over one billion hours of programming streamed to users each week.

The engineer's work mainly involved making the service faster for users to access, and more consistent with fewer instances of downtime. Meshenberg's contribution helped give Netflix a reputation of being practically always available at all times, with a very resilient distribution network.

The hiring of Meshenberg is credited to Michael Abbott, a former VP of engineering for Twitter that Apple hired away in 2019. Abbott was reportedly granted more responsibility for Apple's internet operations, which required more experienced engineers to be added to the team.

While the addition of an engineer from Netflix may primarily assist Apple's video streaming efforts, lessons learned in its improvement could easily be repurposed by teams for other online services, to minimize future unavailability issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,170member
    The biggest problem would not be engineering, but lack of content I would think.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    The biggest problem would not be engineering, but lack of content I would think.
    Apple will figure it out I’m sure. They seem to be in this for the long haul.

Content is a hazy subject. Amazon Prime has thousands upon thousands of 1950s Sci-Fi movies, thousands upon thousands of crappy documentaries, but not much in the way of original or current movies worth watching. For me content is defined by quality over quantity any day.
    edited January 2020 n2itivguyStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    entropys said:
    While I'd say that Disney+ did it best with a huge catalog of old content (which unfortunately started to fall over rather quickly after its intro) and new content, Apple is both trying to make a valued-added service for Apple device owners and has a long-term vision that I don't think requires them to have the same level of content out of the gate. Just like other things people have complained that Apple did too slowly just to end up dominating those markets, I think Apple TV+ is progressing just fine with what I perceive is their intention. I don't think it matters much if it takes Apple years to make their service as robust as Netflix or Hulu. Sometimes Apple's falters with careful stepping, but usually they end up dominating. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I agree that quality is more important than quantity, but I think that Apple is making a mistake in the type of content they seem to be pushing (political left content).

I would say the same thing if a company was only pushing political right content. It's not a smart move to only want to please 50% of customers. It's a far smarter move to try and please everybody by not making divisive content.

I believe that they should leave their politics at home and focus on making good entertainment that everybody will like.

And I also know that any hypocritical lefties here who will disagree with me and defend Apple would be hyperventilating and foaming at the mouth, shouting at the sky, if Apple were for example pushing another type of political content that they happened to disagree with. So spare me from your garbage.
    SpamSandwichchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    I agree that quality is more important than quantity, but I think that Apple is making a mistake in the type of content they seem to be pushing (political left content).

I would say the same thing if a company was only pushing political right content. It's not a smart move to only want to please 50% of customers. It's a far smarter move to try and please everybody by not making divisive content.

I believe that they should leave their politics at home and focus on making good entertainment that everybody will like.

And I also know that any hypocritical lefties here who will disagree with me and defend Apple would be hyperventilating and foaming at the mouth, shouting at the sky, if Apple were for example pushing another type of political content that they happened to disagree with. So spare me from your garbage.
    I just wish you had spared us yours. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Wgkrueger said:
    I take it that you are not in favor of diversity then?

Or are you unable to present a convincing point of view and argue against opinions that you might disagree with? 
    SpamSandwichchemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    Wgkrueger said:

Or are you unable to present a convincing point of view and argue against opinions that you might disagree with? 
    I agree that the decision makers at Apple need to consider content and viewpoints which may not completely mesh with their own 100% of the time.
    apple ][chemengin1jcs2305
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I'm sure Apple TV+ has engineering problems as well as content ones.  I'm sure they hope they'll have to deal with scale problems at some point. :)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    Wgkrueger said:

I think Wgkrueger was probably referring to the divisive jabs in the last paragraph of your original post.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Its not left or right, it’s facts. Maybe you have problem with that?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    apple ][ said:

I agree with you in the terms of content should aim at pleasing all customers/viewers and not just 50%..

It is just amazing to me some people's uncanny ability to analyze everything from a political perspective, Left and right political content? Holy shit. what is happening to this country. Must everything have a political slant?  It must be mentally exhausting to analyze every nuance of everything this way?

I just watch a program.. either it appeals to me or not.. that has always worked just fine for me and others as well I think? Maybe I am in the minority here I don't know anymore..

StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 14
    apple ][ said:

So, let me paraphrase this:

1) Here is my political rant.
    2) Don't post your political rant.

For those of us who recognize irony (or hypocrisy), that was most entertaining. Thank you.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    apple ][ said:

Will you just shut the fuck up with your political crankpot garbage, that you vomit out of your mouth at any possible situation? Not relevant. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member

apple ][ said:
    Wgkrueger said:

Perhaps we’re sick or people violating the forum rules and attempting to inject their partisan bullshit into topics that don’t involve it. Having a series about immigrants isn’t liberal or left. Immigration is not partisan.