MacOS X on Intel AND 970

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I think this has been mentioned as a possibility on these boards -- I just wanted to be the first to state it definitively.

MacOS X on the 970.... AND x86 by the end of the year.

And no, the x86 port wont cannibalize sales. Not with the 970 around for the creative markets and the consumer line *finally*priced in the value range. The iMac and iBook are moving downmarket folks. The new Workstation class Macs are moving upmarket.

People forget, software can be (still is, believe it or not) one of the most profitable business on earth. Imagine the revenues if even 5% of Windows users bought a copy of MacOS X to try out.

From what I'm hearing, Apple has targeted mid year as the start of a major period of growth for the company... this is going to be a fun year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    This would be completely the coolest thing ever. I do mean ever. Did you by chance see that business psyic on CNBC? She came on and said this would be one of the biggest years ever for Apple computer, and that they were going to "blow all of us away." Those were the exact words she used. Maybe this has something to do with it. I wouldn't put it past Apple. Lets pray it's not just another crazy rumor. It sounds difficult for them to do but I'm sure they could pull off anything. Apple's been good at always making the impossible happen.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moving to the Mac OS X forum.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Dogboy - You claim you're posting this information "definitively"...based on what? You have a real inside source, or you're speculating?

And since you seem to have all the details, please explain exactly what an Apple x86 machine is supposed to be. Does it only run new special x86 software for Macintosh? Does it run Windows apps? Does it run PPC software for Macintosh? What does Apple gain by selling an x86 machine with the "Macintosh" label on it?

I'm sure we'd all like to know the amazing details.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Sooo.....

Rather than doing a costly overhaul of all their code for x86, software developers will instead cheerfully maintain TWO versions of their Mac software, when many already have little inclination to even maintain one?

(BEEP BEEP)<---BULLSH*T Meter
  • Reply 5 of 26
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Seconded. If there aren't more details, I suspect we should drop the speculation--life is too short.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    NeXT software came with quad binaries at one point it its life.

One program, compiled for 4 platforms... (same code)

not saying i belive its going to happen but it is possible to do. FYI.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    There has been an awful lot of work recently on the x86 Darwin code over at the Darwin CVS. It's concurrent with Darwin PPC and it looks like they are keeping it up to date with Panther's base as well. I don't buy the excuse that they do all this work solely "as an integrity-check to make sure that the architectural underpinnings function just as well in Darwin as in the BSD code." (Ask the Darwin Team)

The core of OS X x86 is done, and I am sure the upper layers are as well. All that is left is for Apple to be bold and release it.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    The only reason I would say this is COMPLETE BS is for the same reason someone posted above. Apple had a tough time converting developers over to the OS X side and companies like Adobe and Quark and Macromedia worked thier butt off (well, Quark didn't). But it's still like OS X's 2nd B-day and people are saying that OS X will be on X86.

RIIIIIIIGHT, OS X migration is just come to an acceptable level and now we pull a switch on the devs AGAIN. No chance in heck, it'd piss off too many developers.

Not a dev in the world would want x86, x86 Mac, and Mac development to have to worry about. They have enough issues developing for x86 and Mac as it is.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 9 of 26
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    hmmm maybe not. I saw a video from the ADC where they were boasting the speed of some of their libraries against writing your own functions is C.

Now, for most developers (Read - NOT GAMES) all you do is call on libraries and functions to get your proggy written.

If these libraries are / have been developed for x86 then it would be a "simple" matter of compiling 2 binaries. The source would not have to change.

And for anyone that has downloaded a linux source, you will know that these days compiling on your own system consists of:-

./configure --bleh etc

make

make install

Job done!

And if apple do release a x86 OS, this could - as already mentioned. Generate huge ammounts of revenue... Looking back at my bookshelf i have:- OSX Public Beta, Suse Linux 7.0 pro, Suse Linus 8.0, and until my last major clean out PPC linux 2000. All purchase "just to play with".
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

There has been an awful lot of work recently on the x86 Darwin code over at the Darwin CVS. It's concurrent with Darwin PPC and it looks like they are keeping it up to date with Panther's base as well.

This is misleading. Darwin on x86 is not anywhere near as viable as Darwin PPC. It certainly could not be used to simply shift Mac OS X with barely a recompile.

x86 for Xserves I could believe. x86 elsewhere is, for a variety of reasons, bull, particularly on commodity hardware.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    You are all thinking wrong...

If apple did this it would be transparent at the os level. No recompiling. it would just work. A machine with OS X would be just that, a Machine with OS X. What's inside wouldn't matter.

Think bigger.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Maybe one day, but not yet.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    A little off topic, but it looks like MS beat Apple in creating a 64 bit OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...nXP64BitPR.asp
  • Reply 14 of 26
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    YAWNINGLY BORING
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

A little off topic, but it looks like MS beat Apple in creating a 64 bit OS.

Who knows what Apple has going on in those dark halways some refer to as my imagination...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Whats the x86?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Intels chipset. EG i386
  • Reply 18 of 26
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

From MS press release

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition for 64-bit Itanium 2 Systems

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for 64-bit Itanium 2 Systems

Hope Apple will find a better way to differentiate its 32 and 64 bits offerings. They don't even have to differentiate between them to the end user. They will also most likely include both versions in the same box, whit the installer choosing the appropriate version. They could just have a small X32 or X64 at the startup screen or something to tell people what version they're running.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    [Edit] Double post
  • Reply 20 of 26
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 - desktop or workstation OS, supports dual processors

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition for 64-bit Itanium 2 Systems - (Windows 2000 Datacenter supports 32 CPUs, I could not find how many the 64-bit version supports, but it will probably be similar.)

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for 64-bit Itanium 2 Systems - (# of CPUs - I am not sure, probably 8 )

I think it is best that Microsoft differentiates the versions, otherwise a desktop user will be paying way too much or a server user might be paying far too little.

Afterall, OS X Server isn't on the same CD as the home version, is it?