Apple paying up to $500 million to settle iPhone battery slowdown lawsuits

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Longtime Apple aupporter

bit the iOS upgrade that jacked up phones with their original batteries was shady. It was a wrong, move and a bad move. 

Apples explanation was PR. 

I have had almost every iPhone since and including the original. 

Never experienced ANY of the issues Apple said we’re going to happen if they didn’t handicap my iPhone 6 Plus. 

It was a move to drive new phone sales. Period. 

From a company that has had the simple motto of “make the best prisucts and people will buy them,” it was a surprisingly Samsung type of move. 

I get the pressure of having to keep up with and exceed financial performance expectations, but sheesh. You may have a year or few that sales aren’t “historically high” or setting new records. Again. 

That’s ok. It means the thing you made last year really was that good. 

Then, as everyone goes through their upgrade cycles, you make the next best thing ever and people buy that. 

But don’t ever make people regret what they had ugly already just to try to push them to the next thing you want to sell. 

From laptops to iPads to iPhones, the battery indicators have always been excellent and in the 1-0% range, you know you’re in the danger zone. No one needs Apple breaking the battery indicator accuracy or bogging down performance and then acting like it was a favor. 

I did feel a bit betrayed by this. I do hope to get my $2 or whatever. Just on the basis of principle. 

But more than anything, I just hope these types of stupid boardroom decisions are a thing of the past. 

Be honest, work hard at making the best products that work well and reliably, and people will buy them. When they feel it’s time to upgrade, they will return to you for that experience again. 

That’s the thing with Apple. 

Sure other companies made the big money faster. But they were using untrustworthy business models. 

Apple stayed on the straight and narrow and it took longer, but it was also more steady and reliable. And the customers became raving fans. That is branding you cannot create in a marketing meeting. 

It’s a track record of people buying products that work excellently, look great doing it, and keep working excellently until you’re tired of using it and want the next thing. It’s things like having a 15 year old PowerBook g4 17” that STILL runs like a champ even though it can’t run newer Operating systems

iPhone 4 that still works great. iPads that won’t quit. 

With everything outside of my iPhone 6, I have had the best and long lasting experiences with in my Apple purchases. 

From iPhone to ipad to notebooks and desktops and accessories, including Apple watches, my household is full of apple. And as a result, so is my workplace. Because I was sold, I was able to sell my company on Apple and in the last year, we’ve purchased multiple MacBook pros, iMac 5ks, iPads, and accessories. 

So Apple, we all make mistakes, but this one was on purpose. Let’s not do that again. 
    Wrong. It was not a move to drive sales of new devices, as that defies reason -- the change was to prevent crashing, thus prolonging the useful lifespan. Which, btw, iPhones enjoy more than its competitors, which is why they retain their resale value and fetch good prices on eBay and the like. 

Also -- do some research on paragraphs. Quite useful.
    9secondkox2tmaypscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I wish the $29 battery replacement offer was still ongoing. My iPhone SE needs a second battery replacement and I barely got a year out of the first replacement. 
    Unless the first battery was defective or you were using a cheap third party charger that damaged the battery I simply do not believe you. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 43

HOW DO I GET MY $25?
    You probably won't unless you have the proper documentation to prove you were damaged. Apple isn't just going to cut you a check. However, I paid $79 for a battery replacement on my iPhone 6 that was performed before the update that caused the lawsuits. My iPhone 6 was just shutting down at about 40% charge ( and I was in Berlin on vacation too.) A couple of months later I received a $50 credit from Apple back to my credit card. I didn't do or request anything. So there's that.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 24 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Longtime Apple aupporter

bit the iOS upgrade that jacked up phones with their original batteries was shady. It was a wrong, move and a bad move. 

Never experienced ANY of the issues Apple said we’re going to happen if they didn’t handicap my iPhone 6 Plus. 

From a company that has had the simple motto of “make the best prisucts and people will buy them,” it was a surprisingly Samsung type of move. 

I get the pressure of having to keep up with and exceed financial performance expectations, but sheesh. You may have a year or few that sales aren’t “historically high” or setting new records. Again. 

Then, as everyone goes through their upgrade cycles, you make the next best thing ever and people buy that. 

But don’t ever make people regret what they had ugly already just to try to push them to the next thing you want to sell. 

From laptops to iPads to iPhones, the battery indicators have always been excellent and in the 1-0% range, you know you’re in the danger zone. No one needs Apple breaking the battery indicator accuracy or bogging down performance and then acting like it was a favor. 

I did feel a bit betrayed by this. I do hope to get my $2 or whatever. Just on the basis of principle. 

But more than anything, I just hope these types of stupid boardroom decisions are a thing of the past. 

Be honest, work hard at making the best products that work well and reliably, and people will buy them. When they feel it’s time to upgrade, they will return to you for that experience again. 

Sure other companies made the big money faster. But they were using untrustworthy business models. 

Apple stayed on the straight and narrow and it took longer, but it was also more steady and reliable. And the customers became raving fans. That is branding you cannot create in a marketing meeting. 

It’s a track record of people buying products that work excellently, look great doing it, and keep working excellently until you’re tired of using it and want the next thing. It’s things like having a 15 year old PowerBook g4 17” that STILL runs like a champ even though it can’t run newer Operating systems

With everything outside of my iPhone 6, I have had the best and long lasting experiences with in my Apple purchases. 

From iPhone to ipad to notebooks and desktops and accessories, including Apple watches, my household is full of apple. And as a result, so is my workplace. Because I was sold, I was able to sell my company on Apple and in the last year, we’ve purchased multiple MacBook pros, iMac 5ks, iPads, and accessories. 

So Apple, we all make mistakes, but this one was on purpose. Let’s not do that again. 
    Wrong. It was not a move to drive sales of new devices, as that defies reason -- the change was to prevent crashing, thus prolonging the useful lifespan. Which, btw, iPhones enjoy more than its competitors, which is why they retain their resale value and fetch good prices on eBay and the like. 

Incorrect on your part. 

The phones NEVER needed Apple to do this. 
    AND Apple forced this secretly on EVERYONE. 

without the option to choose. 

It wasn’t only applicable to phones with faulty batteries. It was all phones that were a little older. 

Of course the batteries degrade with time. That’s a very widely known data point. 

But no one has had their iPhones shutting down at 15 percent capacity while also running extremely slowly until Apple did this. 

Everything worked fine UNTIL Apple started “protecting” owners of older iPhones by slowing them down to frustrating performance levels. 

My original iPhone with it’s very old battery, iPhone 4, laptop, iPads, etc. do not do this. 

And they’ve never just randomly shut down with incorrect battery indications. 

That’s something Apple ADDED. 

And it was secret. That’s for a reason. 

Apple knew what it was doing. 

It took being exposed to come up with an excuse, offer a choice belatedly, and by then, the rise had done its job. 

The settlement is a small price compared to what they should be paying. 

Also, research human decency. Will do you much good in life moving forward. 

edited March 2020 chemengin1
  • Reply 25 of 43
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    Add this to the ever growing list of reasons to support Right to Repair legislation. Apple isn't doing itself any favors.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    acejax805 said:
    Add this to the ever growing list of reasons to support Right to Repair legislation. Apple isn't doing itself any favors.
    Oh you're gonna love it when the EU mandates user replaceable batteries. Back to the case and battery flying apart all across the pavement when you drop it. I remember those days. Do You?
    tmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Biggest problem for me is lawyers getting 30% cut doing what ? Who determines there compensation ? My family all using iPhones since iPhone 4 did not approve it. There should be another class action law suits against these lawyers for taking 30%. It should be between 1-5% approved by affected iPhone users and most money Apple agreed to pay should go to iPhone users not lawyers.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 28 of 43
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    This is so awesome! 

I know that nearly everyone here is all Apple unicorns and rainbows but the fact is Apple intentionally throttled iPhones and made up complete BS to say those devices were outdated.

Apple is NOT the sacred cow many think it to be.

Give me my $25 Tim Apple!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Longtime Apple aupporter

Incorrect on your part. 

The phones NEVER needed Apple to do this. 
    AND Apple forced this secretly on EVERYONE. 

without the option to choose. 

It wasn’t only applicable to phones with faulty batteries. It was all phones that were a little older. 

Of course the batteries degrade with time. That’s a very widely known data point. 

But no one has had their iPhones shutting down at 15 percent capacity while also running extremely slowly until Apple did this. 

Everything worked fine UNTIL Apple started “protecting” owners of older iPhones by slowing them down to frustrating performance levels. 

My original iPhone with it’s very old battery, iPhone 4, laptop, iPads, etc. do not do this. 

And they’ve never just randomly shut down with incorrect battery indications. 

That’s something Apple ADDED. 

And it was secret. That’s for a reason. 

Apple knew what it was doing. 

It took being exposed to come up with an excuse, offer a choice belatedly, and by then, the rise had done its job. 

The settlement is a small price compared to what they should be paying. 

Also, research human decency. Will do you much good in life moving forward. 

You’re very good at personal conjecture, but not so good on facts. Happy to review your leaked internal memos or whatever mystery evidence you alone possess to prove it was a greedy, mustache-twirling conspiracy. 
  • Reply 30 of 43

That's incorrect. The internet is filled with complaints about iPhone 6 and 6S shutting down before reaching low battery levels.  Some of these devices were less than a year old.

This thread was from April 2016. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7538123 

10.2.1 included Apple's solution to this issue, and was released on January 23rd, 2017. However, the release notes failed to disclose the slowdown, which is what the lawsuit addresses. 

I'm not defending Apple here - I was affected by this as well - but I do not believe that Apple purposely created voltage spikes in these models;  that was just poor engineering. And I don't believe that they were hoping that that 10.2.1 fix was going to sway large numbers of people to buy new devices. I think they were legitimately trying to solve the voltage spike problem, a hardware problem, with software. 

However, any time you decrease the performance of a device through software without telling the consumer, you will find yourself on the losing end of a lawsuit like this.
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 43

bobroo said:
    This is so awesome! 

I know that nearly everyone here is all Apple unicorns and rainbows but the fact is Apple intentionally throttled iPhones and made up complete BS to say those devices were outdated.

Apple is NOT the sacred cow many think it to be.

Give me my $25 Tim Apple!
    Apple execs are barred from lying. What evidence do you offer that depleted batteries weren’t in fact crashing when failing to deliver amps needed during CPU spikes? I don’t know who you are since you’re an anonymous web person, but I feel comfortable trusting real person and Apple software VP Craig when he explained what the cause of the problem was. 

Do you have evidence or just conspiracy theory?
  • Reply 32 of 43
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Apple have a history of supporting their devices for far longer than Android manufacturers, which is why I don't believe this issue was a move to sell more devices.

I believe it was an engineering decision that was not communicated properly.
    georgie01sandor
  • Reply 33 of 43
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    MisterKit said:
    I never have understood how people would rather have their iPhone shut down than slow down.
    When the phone switches off suddenly, people DO understand that the battery is faulty and needs replacement. It is NOT rocket science as you guys who are blindly supporting Apple make it out to be. By hiding the problem from the end user, apple made the user experience worser and forced the user to buy a new phone instead of replacing the faulty component (in this case, the battery). 

Disagree. Attempts to extend the usable time of a device in a post-release software update is not the same as hiding the problem. Imagine if this performance-capping feature was already part of the operating system from day one? How would consumers feel then?

I think the timing was just bad... it came about at the same time when they were making batteries that were too small to maintain performance. My first iPhone 3G lasted me EIGHT YEARS without any problems. My next two iPhone SE's only lasted me ONE year each. The balance of device performance to battery capacity was way off, so they tried to fix it with software update. My latest iPhone XR has zero battery issues because its a larger battery, period.

Apple has learned from this and we'll all benefit as a result. To all of the "victims" out there that think that Apple owes them something, enjoy your "compensation".

edited March 2020
  • Reply 34 of 43
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

digitol said:
    Apple has increasingly become horrible, unethical throughout the years. This is another example. Absolutely disgusting and disappointing that a company that sits on top of billions upon billions of wealth, resorts to cheap tricks, and unethical behavior. SAD. Loyalty begets loyalty. Ask yourself, how as Apple showed any loyalty to you lately. 

Disagree completely.

If you hate the company that much, why are you here? Honestly. 

This wasn't a cheap trick. This was a legitimate attempt to keep older devices working for its customers. It was just poorly executed, that's all. Apple learned from this. Have you learned from your last mistake?

• Reply 35 of 43
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    It’s hilarious to read people so convinced about Apple’s evil intentions, having done little to no meaningful research and having little to no relevant technical training.

These are the same kinds of people who believe most things their political party tells them simply because it‘s what they want to hear.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rob53 said:
    hodar said:
    $500 Million.  All Apple had to do was throw up a pop-up window saying "iPhone Battery is degraded, the performance of this iPhone will be reduced, to prolong useable iPhone battery life."

Then, the user of the iPhone would know his performance was degraded, and why; and he could make the decision whether the degradation of performance was worth the cost of replacing the battery.
    Apple would still have been sued for your message. Consumers and ambulance chasing lawyers always want things to last forever and rarely understand why they don’t. This should never have gone to court but there’s always a judge that will accept it. 
    Isn't 'things last forever' one of Apple's selling points? 
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Apple is a victim of their own success. They pour so much energy, research, and resources into making the best products they can, that they hold themselves—and are thus held by the public—to a higher standard than anyone else. Then when a problem is discovered, or Apple makes a goof on something, it makes world headline news. When Samsung or Lenovo or whomever launch a new product, and it catches fire, or it's glitchy, they're forgiven because they're held to a lower standard of quality. You more or less expect other companies' products to crap out at some point, but Apple is never given that much leeway. When nine—NINE—iPhones out of 20 million, were found that their chases bent under significant force, it was BENDGATE all over the news. When it was discovered that iOS automatically throttles the performance of their iPhones, in order to reduce wear on the battery, and thus allow the customer to keep their phone for longer, it was a HUGE scandal, with people saying that Apple was deliberately building obsolescence into their devices, when they were actually doing the exact opposite.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member
    lkrupp said:
    acejax805 said:
    Oh you're gonna love it when the EU mandates user replaceable batteries. Back to the case and battery flying apart all across the pavement when you drop it. I remember those days. Do You?
    how many US$5 children's toys have user replaceable batteries?
    how many have the cover & batteries flying off to the toddler?
    a screw or two solves your "problem" on a $1000 device.

muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 39 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:
    acejax805 said:
    Wow - one person makes a comment that doesn’t apply to the article and another responds with a comment that doesn’t apply to the first comment. We’ve got a two-fer!

These lawsuits had absolutely nothing to do with right to repair and would have happened even you could have your iphone fixed at the local Jiffylube. 

Right to repair is completely different from the EU proposal to make batteries replaceable. Nor does having a replaceable battery mean having a fly-apart case. (And in another correction, the EU proposal did not say user replaceable, it simply said replaceable.) 

But then, if you don’t make illogical leaps it’s hard to make angry posts.
    edited March 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 43
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 145member
    lkrupp said:
    acejax805 said:

That isn't remotely the worst problem about removable batteries. Yes the batteries and cover and screen go in different directions. But you know what when you put them together they start working again. Unlike other phones I used (not apple) in past which were all in one piece but just died...