Regulatory agency filing reveals new iPad is coming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
A new iPad model number has been filed with the Eurasian Economic Commission, typically signifying that Apple will be releasing the device reasonably soon.

As required by regulations, Apple has filed an entry for a new iPad model into the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) database. Entered under the device code A2229, the entry specifies only that it is a "tablet computer of the Apple brand," and that it is running iPadOS 13.

A new iPad Pro with a triple-lens camera system has been consistently rumored.

However, that was expected to launch in October, and also believed to be one of several new models of both iPad Pro and iPad. At time of writing, only this single A2229 iPad has been listed with the EEC.

Detail from the EEC's entry for the new iPad
Detail from the EEC's entry for the new iPad

Devices from Apple, or any other technology firm, are required by law to be registered if they include encryption-related elements, and are to be sold in Russia or certain other countries within the EEC's region.

There is no requirement for Apple or the EEC to publicly list any details, but the very existence of the entry typically means that a device is coming. While there is no time limit from entry to release, and Apple is not even under any obligation to release the product at all, usually the entry means the device is at most a few months away.

For example, what became the third generation iPad Air and fifth generation iPad mini were listed on the EEC database seven weeks ahead of their March 2019 release. Similarly, the 10.2-inch iPad was listed just under nine weeks before their September 2019 launch.

Every variant of a device is required to have a separate EEC filing, so for instance one iPad will typically have different filings for its cellular and wi-fi-only models. This means it is more usual to see multiple new entries in the EEC data, although most recently a single MacBook Pro was filed on its own.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    At this point I think all new product introductions will be delayed. No one would be paying attention due to concerns about more basic things.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    At this point I think all new product introductions will be delayed. No one would be paying attention due to concerns about more basic things.
    As if it'd be better for Apple to have spent months building units to then now only hide them until people maybe aren't freaked out by the Wuhan pneumonia… If people need a new computer, then they will buy a new computer (like I just did); Apple might even see an increase in certain sales simply because more people will be working from home, and might need new equipment (or are bored and need more entertainment).
    bshank
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I personally think this is the new iPad Pro that people have been saying will come out. Especially since the operating system that is recorded is the current iOS 13 not 14.
    bshank
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I just hope this doesn't mean that we get stuck with an A13 iPad Pro right before the A14 iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    I just hope this doesn't mean that we get stuck with an A13 iPad Pro right before the A14 iPhone.
    That’s probably on the same level as worrying about a particular shade of color on the latest Ferrari; when all you need is a local bus ticket.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    A13X. X versions of the current gen SoC are typically more powerful than the vanilla version of the next-gen SoC.