Apple Car solar panel technology could also be used in Apple Watch, iPhone case

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's future car may have photovoltaic solar panels on the roof to maximize range and idle charging speed, but it may not stop there. The company believes that an extension of the technology would be well-suited to the Apple Watch, the iPhone, and other device cases.

Hyundai is one of a few car manufacturers to offer solar panels built into a car.
Hyundai is one of a few car manufacturers to offer solar panels built into a car.

A problem that the vast majority of portable electrical devices have is a need to recharge the batteries. Users, from time to time, have to undergo the chore of plugging their iPhone into a wall outlet, or placing it on a wireless charging pad to regain power.

In the case of an electric car, such as the rumored Apple car, drivers have to go to a specific charging station on a long road trip and wait for long periods to acquire more charge. Even at a destination, there is no guarantee that charging facilities will be available, leaving the prospect of an electric car being parked up without any ability to top up its electrical fuel reserves.

In a patent granted to Apple by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday titled "Systems with photovoltaic cells," Apple simply suggests applying solar panels to products that need recharging, to allow a gradual trickle recharge of power over time.

In general, Apple proposes the use of a material made from intertwined stands, with some of the strands made up of conductive strands. The conductive elements connect a recharging system of a device to a photovoltaic cell, mounted onto the material.

To ensure optimal power flow, the conductive strands have to be separated by insulating strands, eliminating any contact between conductive elements throughout the fabric.

An illustration indicating areas on a car that the thin-film photovoltaic cells could be applied.
An illustration indicating areas on a car that the thin-film photovoltaic cells could be applied.

While the photovoltaic cell could be a fixed element, Apple also proposes the use of a thin-film photovoltaic cell deposited onto the flexible material, allowing the 1 to 10 microns-thick film to confirm to the shape of a casing. The material in question can include fabrics, polymers, and leathers, the patent suggests.

Apple also believes that the solar panel flexible material could be incorporated into headphones or a cover for an electronic device. Other items that may benefit from the system mentioned in the filing include a "wristwatch device" like an Apple Watch, a "device embedded in eyeglasses or other equipment worn on a user's head," and "in an automobile."

Drawings included in the patent directly depict the use of photovoltaic panels on headphones and a vehicle. In the latter case, the use of such panels would be beneficial as it would be expected a car would be outdoors and exposed to the sun for long stretches of time, and would provide an opportunity to recharge whenever it is in use or parked externally.

Adding solar panels to a car roof is not a new concept, with some manufacturers already offering them on vehicles. In Apple's version, the film would plausibly be placed all over a vehicle, and as depicted in one image, even covering a window, suggesting it may be transparent or sufficiently translucent enough for that purpose.

The patent lists its inventors as Joseph B. Walker, Kathleen A. Bergeron, and Daniel D. Sunshine. Bergeron has been previously linked to a haptic feedback system for the Apple Pencil, while Sunshine is named in filings relating to smart Apple Watch straps and adjustable smart fabric.

Apple proposes the use of the solar panels on the headband and earcups of headphones.
Apple proposes the use of the solar panels on the headband and earcups of headphones.

Apple files numerous patent applications on a weekly basis, but while the existence of a filing indicates areas of interest for Apple's research and development teams, it does not guarantee the concepts described will appear in a future product or service.

The Apple Car has been long rumored to be under development, under the title "Project Titan" alongside Apple's self-driving vehicle testing. Though autonomous driving has taken the most attention, many filings have surfaced revealing Apple has ambitions to redesign the automobile in a number of surprising ways.

These include sunroof designs using a large glass panel and a multi-segmented iteration, headlight systems that could highlight road hazards, in-car illumination systems that use TrueTone technology, and smart seatbelts among others. On power, Apple has suggested the idea of peloton of cars that could share energy between vehicles, wireless charging systems, battery floors, and even a small robot that plugs a charging cable underneath a vehicle.

Apple's suggested use of conductive strands have also floated around for a while in patent filings, including one from January 2019 explaining how the strands could be woven to create contact points to more seamlessly embed sensors and components into clothing and fabric-based accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Apple is spending $20 billion a year in R&D with little coming out of the pipeline.  Exhibit A is the “Apple Car” 

There are now thousands of employees at Apple whose “job” is to generate patents. Just like at IBM 
  • Reply 2 of 18
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    Apple's future car may have photovoltaic solar panels on the roof to maximize range and idle charging speed, but it may not stop there. The company believes that an extension of the technology would be well-suited to the Apple Watch, the iPhone, and other device cases.
    The Apple Watch? I'm trying to imagine just how much sunlight falls on my AW5 in typical wear. Answer: slim tending rapidly toward none.

I realize that solar powered watches do exist (Seiko, others), but those are non-smart watches that have tiny power needs. A full-blown smart watch is a whole 'nother story.
    edited March 2020 steveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Are photovoltaic cells getting much better at capturing energy?  Because this has been possible since forever, but the amount of charge they generate is so small compared to the amount needed by these devices that it's pretty pointless.  Maybe a car with a large expanse of roof that's always angled upwards makes sense, but for personal devices that spend much or most of the time in pockets or inside or lying on a table not necessarily angled towartds the sun, it seems at best half baked.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    crowley said:
    Are photovoltaic cells getting much better at capturing energy?  Because this has been possible since forever, but the amount of charge they generate is so small compared to the amount needed by these devices that it's pretty pointless.  Maybe a car with a large expanse of roof that's always angled upwards makes sense, but for personal devices that spend much or most of the time in pockets or inside or lying on a table not necessarily angled towartds the sun, it seems at best half baked.
    Yeah, I agree -- sounds pointless. Unless the point is marketing. 

• Reply 5 of 18
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    blastdoor said:
    crowley said:

The trickle charge this would generate would be meaningless in the context of providing energy to move a 5,000 lb vehicle

Please tell me I am completely missing something here and that Apple is not wasting time and huge amounts of money on science fair projects

• Reply 6 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    red oak said:
    Apple is spending $20 billion a year in R&D with little coming out of the pipeline.  Exhibit A is the “Apple Car” 

There are now thousands of employees at Apple whose “job” is to generate patents. Just like at IBM 
    A rich patent portfolio is sometimes a useful form of currency and defense for settling patent and IP disputes with other companies, although recent trends seem to be leaning more towards huge cash settlements rather than cross-licensing agreements.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    This looks nice, but I hope Apple is able to somehow achieve a breakthrough in two technology and design areas: if there was a way to incorporate something (maybe a 3.5mm port) in an iPhone, that would prevent me from having to carry around a Lightning>Audio adapter (would also prevent me from having to put wireless radios in my ear next to the brain). That would be nice. I hope they can do it. Just takes some courage. The other thing is, if they somehow could come up with a way to incorporate a USB A port into laptops. The technology is almost where they could do it. Just takes some willpower. Then Apple would truly be respected and thanked by millions. Imagine, no more fiddling with your iPhone audio adapter when you're in an airplane. When you need to plug in headphones into laptop, then into your phone, at work. No more having to look at the stark white adapter in between your dark-colored iPhone and headphone wires.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 8 of 18
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    Photovoltaic panels have a theoretical peak efficiency of about 30%. Add a glass cover for environmental protection and the number drops to about 24%. Drop the expensive crystaline substrate for an amorphorous one (needed for car roofs) and the efficiency falls to 10% or less. The peak solar radiation is about 1kW/m2, so assuming a 2m2 roof area, 1kWh/m2 * 2m2 * 0.10 = 200Wh charging rate. To charge 75kWh, requires 75,000kWh / 200Wh = 375 h and that's at PEAK solar power, which is about 4 hrs max on a sunny day. The point might be to to trickle charge the accessories, such as the radio, GPS, lights, etc.
    razorpitred oakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    beng said:
    Photovoltaic panels have a theoretical peak efficiency of about 30%. Add a glass cover for environmental protection and the number drops to about 24%. Drop the expensive crystaline substrate for an amorphorous one (needed for car roofs) and the efficiency falls to 10% or less. The peak solar radiation is about 1kW/m2, so assuming a 2m2 roof area, 1kWh/m2 * 2m2 * 0.10 = 200Wh charging rate. To charge 75kWh, requires 75,000kWh / 200Wh = 375 h and that's at PEAK solar power, which is about 4 hrs max on a sunny day. The point might be to to trickle charge the accessories, such as the radio, GPS, lights, etc.
    Agreed. I think this technology will exist to add an extra hour of use before a proper charger is needed. Then as the technology matures, maybe you get two hours and so on. To think of this as something that is going to replace the need for the wireless charger on day 1 is the wrong way to look at it. 
    minicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    beng said:
    I wouldn't say that the point is to only power accessories as it's not going to be a separate system, but adding a few extra miles a day of driving and/or keeping primary systems operational for monitoring a sitting vehicle without fear that the batteries will deplete themselves is a good thing.

I travel often to rugged environments where fueling stations are minimal (and pricey) but at least they exist, unlike EV charging stations. One thing I like about Tesla's CyberTruck is that there's a solar panel that can give you a handful of extra miles per day. At the very least, I'd be able to slowly get back to civilization if the 500 mile range wasn't enough (although regenerative braking coming down a mountain would probably be enough to get me to the EV stations I'm aware of).

I hope this does come to the Watch. For some reason people on this site seem to feel that it needs to charge the device to full instantly or it's pointless, but if solar could at least offer the ability to read the time pretty much without fail, and a few hours during peak hours would let you make an emergency call or ping your location I'd be excited about that for safety.
    minicoffeesteveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    crowley said:
    Are photovoltaic cells getting much better at capturing energy?  Because this has been possible since forever, but the amount of charge they generate is so small compared to the amount needed by these devices that it's pretty pointless.
    Well Musk is giving Cybertruck owners the option of cells on the back to cover the bed (I believe the cover will still be retractable) and he said it will charge enough for typical day journey travels (15 miles on basic version with fold out wings option, I think he said). So there goes.

And in the future these technologies will only improve. I can see a future where it becomes difficult to buy a new vehicle without this tbh. Imagine Apple or Tesla not needing to plug in to charge and others having to? It would catch on rapid fire. It would be like an iPhone that self-charges. Everyone would want one.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    razorpit said:
    beng said:
    Agreed. I think this technology will exist to add an extra hour of use before a proper charger is needed. Then as the technology matures, maybe you get two hours and so on. To think of this as something that is going to replace the need for the wireless charger on day 1 is the wrong way to look at it. 
    Yeah it will evolve and pretty quickly.

This guy has a few thoughts on this:

edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    Are photovoltaic cells getting much better at capturing energy?  Because this has been possible since forever, but the amount of charge they generate is so small compared to the amount needed by these devices that it's pretty pointless.
    Well Musk is giving Cybertruck owners the option of cells on the back to cover the bed (I believe the cover will still be retractable) and he said it will charge enough for typical day journey travels (15 miles on basic version with fold out wings option, I think he said). So there goes.

And in the future these technologies will only improve. I can see a future where it becomes difficult to buy a new vehicle without this tbh. Imagine Apple or Tesla not needing to plug in to charge and others having to? It would catch on rapid fire. It would be like an iPhone that self-charges. Everyone would want one.
    Even if it doesn't improve quickly (kind of like how battery life improvements seems to be glacial compared to other areas of CE) it's something that will get you some additional distance just by being in sunlight.

ireland said:
    razorpit said:
    beng said:
    Yeah it will evolve and pretty quickly.

This guy has a few thoughts on this:

[video]
    Yep. That plus 500 mile range was a big reason that I put a downpayment on one.
    thtmknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    This is a patent for embedding wiring into fabric or flexible materials using thin-film PV material, which will serve to charge a battery for some item. So, the outer surface of the headband for tin cup heaphones would be a good place. A watch band most certainly. An iPad case and or cover is another one.

The car application is mostly just one of the examples for application in the patent app and has very little to do with patent imo. And yes, I most certainly want my car to be lined with solar PV surfaces. Has the potential to cut my commute costs in half, and add energy to the house with a bidirectional charger. Don't understand people who scoff at this idea. It will increase the efficiency of an EV for most or many owners by 10%, 20%, 30%, 50%, and even 100% depending on their usage and commute. Since when do we say efficiency improvements, even 10%, in this range isn't worth it?

mattinozmknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    red oak said:

The trickle charge this would generate would be meaningless in the context of providing energy to move a 5,000 lb vehicle

Please tell me I am completely missing something here and that Apple is not wasting time and huge amounts of money on science fair projects
    You are missing something.

https://lightyear.one

This was test driven on the Fully Charged channel on YouTube. The prototypes were getting about 75km of range if parked in the sun all day. The average commute is 25km (each way).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Getting stuck in the wilderness and using rooftop solar to crawl home would be a once in a lifetime application, but powering a short commute would be a daily use. So, "Skate to where the puck is going to be." My personal use case is probably close to where the puck will be: an 8 km (5 mi) commute and then eight hours parked outside my office in a very sunny country. Currently I have a covered car space, but could easily park in the open if I wanted to. If the 8 hours of sunlight during the day gives me enough charge to get me home and back to work the next day, then I think it makes sense. If that includes enough juice to run the car A/C for 10 minutes before I get into it then it's a no brainer!
    watto_cobratht
  • Reply 17 of 18
    tdyaktdyak Posts: 1member
    There is a company that is already way ahead of them in doing this... Cascadia 4x4 in Canada.  

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collections/vehicle-specific-hood-solar-panel