GarageBand's Live Loops heading to Logic Pro X in future update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2020
Apple may be preparing to update Logic Pro X by adding a new feature, with a leaked screenshot indicating GarageBand's Live Loops function will be making the transition to the professional music creation tool soon.

Logic Pro X is an industry-recognized music production application, one that offers far more capabilities than the free GarageBand apps can provide to professional musicians and producers. While the two do share many elements and features, it seems one more will be moving from GarageBand to Logic Pro X fairly soon.

Spotted on Reddit, one of the images on Apple's Education Products site shows Logic Pro X, but with a screen that includes elements not currently offered in the currently-available version. The screenshot, shown on a 16-inch MacBook Pro, appears to show Logic Pro X's version of GarageBand's Live Loops.

Added as part of an update in January 2016 for GarageBand on iOS, Live Loops is a grid-based music creation tool inspired by DJ hardware controllers and drum machines. By triggering looped instruments and samples in cells, users can create a composition, one that can be arranged and remixed live, with GarageBand keeping all of the beats in sync.

Apple hasn't announced any new features incoming to Logic Pro X, so the inclusion of the screenshot on the education page seems to be an inadvertent leak by the company itself. The appearance of the image strongly suggests an update including the feature may arrive soon, but there is no indication of when that would take place.

The feature leak surfaces a few days after Apple made a major change in how it offers trials of Logic Pro X. On Thursday, users could download and try out the production tool for a 90-day period instead of 30 days, a change that is likely to be beneficial as more people spend time at home to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    There will never be another Elvin Jones.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Shouldn’t that feature go into MainStage instead?
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Logic is great, I use it often. An insane value at $200. 

I look forward to the new update and more new features!
    dysamoriaBeats
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    dysamoria said:
    Shouldn’t that feature go into MainStage instead?
    It probably will be accessible in Mainstage, but will be handy in Logic for production, scoring video, etc. 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

This article is about Logic Pro, though. 
    Gilliam_Bates
  • Reply 6 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    apple ][ said:
    Logic is great, I use it often. An insane value at $200. 

I look forward to the new update and more new features!

Insane value with free updates and exclusive plugins. Other DAWs charge $500+ with yearly upgrade costs.

"Greedy Apple" strikes again!
    qwerty52SpamSandwichMacPro
  • Reply 7 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I find Live Loops utterly baffling and unusable, but I suppose feature parity means kids who learn on GarageBand would be more likely to adopt the professional-grade tools later.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    spheric said:
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

Right. The software of a type whose use is eliminating the desire of humans to master musical instruments. I feel that is a great loss. Many people don't.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    quinney said:
    spheric said:
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

Right. The software of a type whose use is eliminating the desire of humans to master musical instruments. I feel that is a great loss. Many people don't.
    Everyone I know that uses LPX can play several instruments and use these sort of thing for backing tracks.
    edited March 2020 SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    quinney said:
    spheric said:
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

Logic supports musical instruments.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    quinney said:
    spheric said:
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

I don’t think that’s the case. I know of more interest today in playing real musical instruments than in prior years. Mastering an instrument helps one focus and can simultaneously transport one with a solid appreciation for well-crafted songs.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    quinney said:
    spheric said:
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

Hopefully you’re joking. Besides being used to mix recorded instrument tracks, you’re apparently suggesting keyboards and synth aren’t musical instruments. Nuts. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 14
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    quinney said:
    spheric said:
    quinney said:
    Nor Elvis. 

That’s okay, Pops. Tape machines and multitracking were confusing back in your day, too. I know. 
    fastasleep