Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro up for preorder on Amazon, supposedly ships on May 30

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    I got the preorder in. I feel that this keyboard and the new iPP 12.9 with the revamped iPadOS can finally make me leave the MBP at home for most excursions except when I go on long overseas trips, which obviously won't happen for a long time anyway. Based on the demos I've seen, it's exactly what I've been waiting for after being disappointed by the 1st gen iPP 12.9 - too big as an iPad and too limited for laptop-type usage. Now it's the right size for regular iPad usage as well as being a good laptop alternative if not an outright replacement. The built-in trackpad is that overused term: "game changer". Going from the keyboard to the screen to complete various tasks is tiring and counterproductive. Carrying around a separate trackpad or mouse makes no sense at all. From what I've seen, it'll be worth every penny. The value of a product is in what one can do with it.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I can tell this thing is gonna sell like hotcakes based on the number of haters here. 
    StrangeDaysdedgeckojdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 64
    temperortemperor Posts: 66member
    I’ve been using the previous iPP 12.9 with Magic Trackpad, OMG, it really rocks. I have the new iPP on order and will order the keyboard too, it beats any tablet / surface out there. A major thing about this design is lap ability ... it really is THE FEATURE that sets it apart in this categorie. Without the need to go third party ... in the past I always tried those third party solutions keyboards on surface and iPads, all I can say is I’m done with them ...
    GeorgeBMacjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 64
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    This is a variable position stand, USB-C hub, backlit keyboard, magic trackpad and smart cover. go out and but all of those separately and then duct tape them all together, come back and let us know how much that costs and how aesthetic is all is. It is expensive but its not Just a keyboard.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDaysdedgeckofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Some people are mentioning other cheaper keyboard options for the iPad, as if there is any comparison at all. Most have crap keys, they're mostly plastic and they feel and look cheap and none offers the innovative stand solution which Apple is introducing here.

I have not tried or seen this Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro in person yet of course, but based on the available info so far, this seems like nothing else that is out there.

Is the entire thing metal? That looks like a lot of metal.

The keys supposedly have the same travel and scissor mechanism as found in newer Macbook Pro and Macbook keyboards. I do not know if the keys are identical to those, but I suppose it's a possibility. That is just some info that I saw on a youtube video, I will of course not vouch for its accuracy. It's also nice that they are backlit.

So, for starters, you're getting a backlit keyboard that might feel comparable to typing on a new Macbook, if that's what you're looking for. 

There's also a trackpad included. It's not as large as a Magic Trackpad of course, but a space grey Magic Trackpad alone goes for $149. I know, because that's what I am currently using.

There is still more to be revealed about the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro, like how exactly the hinge thing will work, but all of that info and more details will be coming out soon enough. Knowing Apple, I am expecting a smooth and elegant solution.

If this thing is leaps and bounds beyond anything else that is out there and it offers a premium keyboard/trackpad experience for the iPad Pro, while doubling as a super cool and adjustable stand, sort of like a midget iMac, then this thing will be in high demand among iPad Pro users, regardless if a few people whine about the price. Those people who want the best experience, will pay for that privilege. The fact that the customer base is comprised only of iPad Pro owners already shows that they are willing to pay more for the best option available. This keyboard will be a no brainer for many iPad Pro users, if it turns out to be as good in use as it looks. 

I want Apple to make the best products possible, and I don't want them to cut any corners like everybody else does, that's why I use Apple devices and computers to begin with. I don't want Apple to make low priced, mediocre stuff. I want better than that. I bet that many people whining about the price don't even own an iPad Pro, so it doesn't even make any difference to them what it costs because this isn't made for them. It's sort of like the people who whine about the price of Apple's Pro monitor stand. Those people will never be owning the pro monitor in their lifetime anyway, so what difference does it make to them?
    edited April 2020 razorpitfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    pff, I’m waiting for the magic key board PRO.

the best thing about this forum is listening to the fan boys defend apples insane pricing, or essentially anything apple no matter how egrigious. 

Who determines what is an ‘egregious’ price? You? You shouldn’t even be in this forum. You should be buying cheap Android crap and a Dell laptop. 
    Well, the fact that the keyboard costs more than a new 10.2” iPad and nearly 3x what the Logitech keyboard is what really strikes me. 
    Does it strike you that Porsche costs 10 times more than Prius? 

It is clear that Magic Keyboard offers some features which no other keyboard offers. I think the price is justified for a state of the art technology. 

I have just orders mine. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    tyler82 said:
    Watch your bank account magically fade away. 

hopefully the pandemic will bring Apple back down to reality. 40% unemployment = who's gonna buy this crap?

Don’t think that if you don’t have any money that other people have neither. 

My bank account is full and is getting bigger and bigger. 

I can easily afford this great state of the art technology. The same as my several other colleagues.  We have ordered it already. 
    dedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:

the best thing about this forum is listening to the fan boys defend apples insane pricing, or essentially anything apple no matter how egrigious. 

Who determines what is an ‘egregious’ price? You? You shouldn’t even be in this forum. You should be buying cheap Android crap and a Dell laptop. 

An egregious price is typically one that is unreasonably high and based on what the market will bear rather than anything to do with cost.

Apple has a reputation of high priced stuff that is, for the most part, fairly valued -- meaning you get what you pay for.

Soon - or in about 60 days -- we will know if this is priced reasonably or egregiously.   But one thing, I think, is fairly certain based on Apple's recent history:  whichever way it is currently priced, that price will be coming down when purchased from 3rd party retailers.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 29 of 64
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I’m happily using my 2017 iPad Pro with an original Apple Wireless keyboard (forget what it’s called), a Magic Mouse 2, and a Zugu Case, and love it. If I had a 2018 or 2020 Pro I’d probably be buying this just to have everything in one package.

My only concern with something like this is that Apple keeps the form factor for a few generations. No more moving the smart connector location a year down the road because of whatever reason. Unlike my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse this product can’t be repurposed.

I’m not a greenie weenie, but I would hate to see these all be completely useless in a year or two because of an iPad redesign.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    apple ][ said:
    If anybody thinks that it's priced too high or they can't afford it or they don't think it's worth it or whatever other reason they might have, then don't buy it.
    Absolutely. 

However, there does come a point when a price is universally considered too high, I reckon. 

If the keyboard - a keyboard, albeit on a pivoting arm - was $999 would there be some people who think it represented good reasonable value? How about $1,499? What is the ‘taking the piss’ point for a keyboard with trackpad? $99? $199? $299, $349 ... for a keyboard & trackpad  ... albeit a ‘magic*’ one?

* ‘Magic’ - how embarrassing is that? I can’t believe Apple marketing ever pushed that, and can’t believe it’s been in use for so long. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 31 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    urahara said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, the fact that the keyboard costs more than a new 10.2” iPad and nearly 3x what the Logitech keyboard is what really strikes me. 
    Does it strike you that Porsche costs 10 times more than Prius? 

It is clear that Magic Keyboard offers some features which no other keyboard offers. I think the price is justified for a state of the art technology. 

I have just orders mine. 
    I don't disagree that it offers some new features (well, the cantilever design is the only one I can see,) but it is basically a keyboard and a trackpad. These are not new technologies My Logitech iPad pro keyboard is an excellent keyboard - more features and better feel than the Apple's and it was $50 cheaper when I got it 2 ½ years ago. Brydge sells an iPad pro keyboard/trackpad for $229. All the reviews I've seen for bridge products have been quite positive.

I haven't seen the new apple keyboard in person much less used it, but their old magic keyboard was also more expensive and arguably not as good as many other cheaper alternatives. At least the new keyboard has real keys (with a scissor mechanism, no less.)

As others have said, Apple can charge what they want and there are obviously people who will buy it, reasonable is open to interpretation.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    For those complaining about the price of the new Magic Keyboard folio, if you were to buy an Apple Keyboard ($99), Magic Trackpad ($129) and Folio ($99), you would be spending $330.  So for the additional $20 you would spend on the Magic Keyboard Folio, you’re getting a backlit keyboard and an additional USB-C port.  I can guarantee that this is how Apple looks at the pricing.  The value is there, if you’re simply comparing it to Apple’s other products that could serve a similar function.

And it’s not like Apple makes 80% gross profit from their products - I’ve not looked lately, but I think their average margin is somewhere in the mid to upper 30% range?

It will be interesting to see if Apple offers the keyboards at a discount for the Education market, or if a place like Costco will be able to sell it slightly below Apple’s MAP.  I may wait to see what deals pop up, but I’m definitely getting one, even if I end up paying full retail.
    razorpitStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I think the price is high. I think it is ok to bitch about the price as long as it is reasoned and not just whining. My guess is that this keyboard will sell like crazy because it is the best out there. The upside to Apple bringing out a deluxe keyboard At this price point is that the Logitech's out there will spot an opportunity and bring out something lower priced but at the same time acceptable high quality. Apple is setting the bar pretty high which always is a good thing. Short of cash, get a cheap folio case and a Bluetooth mouse. Not as amazing but still good. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 64
    pembroke said:
    apple ][ said:
    If anybody thinks that it's priced too high or they can't afford it or they don't think it's worth it or whatever other reason they might have, then don't buy it.
    Absolutely. 

However, there does come a point when a price is universally considered too high, I reckon. 

If the keyboard - a keyboard, albeit on a pivoting arm - was $999 would there be some people who think it represented good reasonable value? How about $1,499? What is the ‘taking the piss’ point for a keyboard with trackpad? $99? $199? $299, $349 ... for a keyboard & trackpad  ... albeit a ‘magic*’ one?

* ‘Magic’ - how embarrassing is that? I can’t believe Apple marketing ever pushed that, and can’t believe it’s been in use for so long. 
    I don't know what the price would have to be to be considered universally too high, but any company who prices a product too high would quickly find out, because not many people would buy the product.

I'll have to see reviews and maybe try this keyboard out for myself in person before I judge it, but based on what we currently know, I do not think that this price is too high, and it's probably going to be a very popular accessory for the iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    paxman said:
    The upside to Apple bringing out a deluxe keyboard At this price point is that the Logitech's out there will spot an opportunity and bring out something lower priced but at the same time acceptable high quality. 
    I don't think they'll be able to. People who are interested in this want Apple's keyboard, Apple's trackpad and Apple's case/stand implementation. Any third party option is not going to come close, no matter how hard they try in my opinion.

I remember buying a logitech bluetooth keyboard/case for an iPad Mini a few years ago and I can count on one hand the total number of times I've used it. It just wasn't a good feel or a good experience when using it. Even though it wasn't super expensive, it turned out to be an expensive purchase, since I barely ever touched the thing.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    commentsf said:
    Jesus Christ Apple. $349 ?

i miss Steve Jobs 
    lol, like Jobs didn’t sell expensive gear. you must be new. 

Good thing it's not required, eh!?

Magic Keyboard for 11" - $299:

Smart Folio Keyboard - $179:

Smart Keyboard - $159:

Magic Keybaord - $99:

...plus the after-market options. Good to have lots of options, eh? Or do you just want to whine about the very-top-tier options?
    edited April 2020 dedgeckofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 64

Just because you can’t afford it doesn’t make it insane. It means you either don’t need the tool, or don’t have enough disposable income.

Do you see me complaining about the price of pickup trucks? Or shop tools? No, that would be silly. But they’re certainly pricey to me. 
    edited April 2020 dedgeckofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 64

apple ][ said:

I defend everybody's pricing.

It's called capitalism and the free market and freedom. Companies are free to price their products at whatever price point they wish, and consumers are free to either purchase said products or not.

If Ferrari wants to release a new car tomorrow and price it at 6 million dollars, I don't have any problem with that at all.

If Samsung wants to release a new phone tomorrow and price it at $10,000 dollars, I'm totally fine with that.

The same applies to Apple. Apple can price their stuff at whatever price point they please and that they feel is appropriate and I am free to make a decision regarding if I want to purchase said product or not.

Some people sound like a bunch of commies and entitled ignoramuses. 

no shit sherlock, the fascinating thing is people buying the stuff. I find it entertaining in the same way as watching people injure themselves doing stupid shit on youtube. which I also think everyone should be free to do with whatever dumb shit they think floats theire boat ie. shelling out $1k for a piece if alu and proclaiming how its the best 1k they have ever spent.  go for it!
    Oh look, we have a new teenaged troll. 
    dedgeckofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64
    tyler82 said:
    Watch your bank account magically fade away. 

hopefully the pandemic will bring Apple back down to reality. 40% unemployment = who's gonna buy this crap?
    Uh no, it’s not predicted to reach anywhere near 40%. Educate yourself:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wsj-survey-coronavirus-to-cause-deep-u-s-contraction-13-unemployment-11586354400

Very much doubt it will be crap. 
    dedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    pembroke said:
    apple ][ said:
    Absolutely. 

It’s really not embarrassing at all. I have the Magic keyboard, mouse, trackpad, etc. It’s their brand name for the series. No different than Galaxy - what’s so Galaxy about samsung’s stuff? Etc. Just a series brand name. 
    edited April 2020 dedgeckowatto_cobra