Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro up for preorder on Amazon, supposedly ships on May 30

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    pff, I’m waiting for the magic key board PRO.

the best thing about this forum is listening to the fan boys defend apples insane pricing, or essentially anything apple no matter how egrigious. 

Who determines what is an ‘egregious’ price? You? You shouldn’t even be in this forum. You should be buying cheap Android crap and a Dell laptop. 
    Well, the fact that the keyboard costs more than a new 10.2” iPad and nearly 3x what the Logitech keyboard is what really strikes me. 
    Does it strike you that Porsche costs 10 times more than Prius? 

It is clear that Magic Keyboard offers some features which no other keyboard offers. I think the price is justified for a state of the art technology. 

I have just orders mine. 
    I don't disagree that it offers some new features (well, the cantilever design is the only one I can see,) but it is basically a keyboard and a trackpad. These are not new technologies My Logitech iPad pro keyboard is an excellent keyboard - more features and better feel than the Apple's and it was $50 cheaper when I got it 2 ½ years ago. Brydge sells an iPad pro keyboard/trackpad for $229. All the reviews I've seen for bridge products have been quite positive.

I haven't seen the new apple keyboard in person much less used it, but their old magic keyboard was also more expensive and arguably not as good as many other cheaper alternatives. At least the new keyboard has real keys (with a scissor mechanism, no less.)

As others have said, Apple can charge what they want and there are obviously people who will buy it, reasonable is open to interpretation.
    I have the current magic keyboard, and it is without a doubt better than the cheaper alternatives. I had the popular Logitech solar wireless one before it, which was junk — plastic, creaky, cheap, and the keys fell off. That’s not happened with any of my Apple keyboards, and I’ve had several. The current magic keyboard is solid, premium feeling, low profile, and generally great. 
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

the best thing about this forum is listening to the fan boys defend apples insane pricing, or essentially anything apple no matter how egrigious. 

Who determines what is an ‘egregious’ price? You? You shouldn’t even be in this forum. You should be buying cheap Android crap and a Dell laptop. 
    Well, the fact that the keyboard costs more than a new 10.2” iPad and nearly 3x what the Logitech keyboard is what really strikes me. 

It is clear that Magic Keyboard offers some features which no other keyboard offers. I think the price is justified for a state of the art technology. 

I have just orders mine. 
    I don't disagree that it offers some new features (well, the cantilever design is the only one I can see,) but it is basically a keyboard and a trackpad. These are not new technologies My Logitech iPad pro keyboard is an excellent keyboard - more features and better feel than the Apple's and it was $50 cheaper when I got it 2 ½ years ago. Brydge sells an iPad pro keyboard/trackpad for $229. All the reviews I've seen for bridge products have been quite positive.

I haven't seen the new apple keyboard in person much less used it, but their old magic keyboard was also more expensive and arguably not as good as many other cheaper alternatives. At least the new keyboard has real keys (with a scissor mechanism, no less.)

As others have said, Apple can charge what they want and there are obviously people who will buy it, reasonable is open to interpretation.

Unfortunately, in the past several years, since the introduction of the Butterfly keyboard, Apple has really gone downhill with keyboards and particularly with feel and user friendliness.   It's like they were designed by people who can't touch type.

Hopefully that is changing back.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Unfortunately, in the past several years, since the introduction of the Butterfly keyboard, Apple has really gone downhill with keyboards and particularly with feel and user friendliness.   It's like they were designed by people who can't touch type.

Hopefully that is changing back.
    I've never even tried the butterfly keys, so I don't know how they are, but this is supposedly using the scissor keys.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

I have just orders mine. 

I haven't seen the new apple keyboard in person much less used it, but their old magic keyboard Smart keyboard was also more expensive and arguably not as good as many other cheaper alternatives. At least the new keyboard has real keys (with a scissor mechanism, no less.)

I have the current magic keyboard, and it is without a doubt better than the cheaper alternatives. I had the popular Logitech solar wireless one before it, which was junk — plastic, creaky, cheap, and the keys fell off. That’s not happened with any of my Apple keyboards, and I’ve had several. The current magic keyboard is solid, premium feeling, low profile, and generally great. 
    Sorry, I misspoke - I meant the smart keyboard folio with the membrane keys that they originally released for the iPad pro. 

You are right - the magic keyboard works fine. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 64
    MplsP said:

MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

I have just orders mine. 

I haven't seen the new apple keyboard in person much less used it, but their old magic keyboard Smart keyboard was also more expensive and arguably not as good as many other cheaper alternatives. At least the new keyboard has real keys (with a scissor mechanism, no less.)

Sorry, I misspoke - I meant the smart keyboard folio with the membrane keys that they originally released for the iPad pro. 

You are right - the magic keyboard works fine. 
    Ah yeah I’ve never used that one, just the standalone bluetooth keyboards. Sounds like I’m not missing much. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 64
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    I'm not getting the keyboard, touchscreen all the way, but I am looking forward to seeing the engineering on the Magic Keyboard. The magnets need to be tuned so that it can hold the iPad well, while allowing the user to remove it one-handed or two-handed without the Magic Keyboard moving.

The videos make it appear that the Magic Keyboard does not move at all during the docking and undocking process. The hinge angle doesn't change, the keyboard itself doesn't budge. The tilting hinge also looks nice and smooth, and it's a pretty small hinge. Looks like a pretty slick bit of engineering. The flap covering the big hinge though. There will be crap that gets in there.

Next up, the Smart Connector on the iPad Pros really should be able to do USB3.2, so that this style of keyboard cover can have ever more functionality, including more ports, batteries, so on and so forth.

I'm still waiting for a mythical "Smart Cover" like thing for the 2018 iPad Pro industrial design. Something that will magnetically latched to cover the glass screen for stowing away, magnetically latch to the back for using flat on a table, and maybe tri-folding for propping up.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    pembroke said:
    apple ][ said:
    If anybody thinks that it's priced too high or they can't afford it or they don't think it's worth it or whatever other reason they might have, then don't buy it.
    Absolutely. 

However, there does come a point when a price is universally considered too high, I reckon. 

If the keyboard - a keyboard, albeit on a pivoting arm - was $999 would there be some people who think it represented good reasonable value? How about $1,499? What is the ‘taking the piss’ point for a keyboard with trackpad? $99? $199? $299, $349 ... for a keyboard & trackpad  ... albeit a ‘magic*’ one?

* ‘Magic’ - how embarrassing is that? I can’t believe Apple marketing ever pushed that, and can’t believe it’s been in use for so long. 
    Steve Jobs loved to use the term ‘magical’. It’s a throwaway descriptor because you don’t need to overthink it, it’s just “magical”.

It tugs at most folk’s childhood, especially those with income, when magic was everywhere, the books that were read to you, Santa Claus, good spirits, evil spirits. Magnets!!  Magic. 

/s on that last one
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 64
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    My biggest frustration is why the wait!?

Shut up and take my money already.

Loving my iPad Pro, just hard to find a cheap case to stick it in until the end of May. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    tht said:

I'm still waiting for a mythical "Smart Cover" like thing for the 2018 iPad Pro industrial design. Something that will magnetically latched to cover the glass screen for stowing away, magnetically latch to the back for using flat on a table, and maybe tri-folding for propping up.
    I looked forever for one and they don’t exist. I don’t believe there are magnets on the left edge to support one, unfortunately.  That’d be my choice too..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    dedgecko said:

Loving my iPad Pro, just hard to find a cheap case to stick it in until the end of May. 
    Why? There are a ton of them out there. I got a Moko folio that’s basically the same as Apple’s but only $15, and only very slightly heavier. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 64
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Apple's pricing does speak more to the lemming-like aspect of consumer culture than anything else.

When Toyotas with a different grille become a Lexus, Hondas become an Acura, Nissans become Infinitis, and Chevy Trucks become Cadillacs we know that some purchases are more about wanting than needing.

I own an iPad Pro and enjoy it but doubt the price difference is justified by the content of the device. I am fortunate enough that the outrageous price is not a deal-breaker, but it does not mean I am happy with the pricing.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    apple ][ said:
    paxman said:
    The upside to Apple bringing out a deluxe keyboard At this price point is that the Logitech's out there will spot an opportunity and bring out something lower priced but at the same time acceptable high quality. 
    I don't think they'll be able to. People who are interested in this want Apple's keyboard, Apple's trackpad and Apple's case/stand implementation. Any third party option is not going to come close, no matter how hard they try in my opinion.

I remember buying a logitech bluetooth keyboard/case for an iPad Mini a few years ago and I can count on one hand the total number of times I've used it. It just wasn't a good feel or a good experience when using it. Even though it wasn't super expensive, it turned out to be an expensive purchase, since I barely ever touched the thing.

I definitely don't think they will be able to match the quality nor the sexiness of the Apple one but they will make something cheaper. I had a Logitech folio keyboard which was pretty good. My gripe with that one as well as with the Apple Bluetooth one I also used was the lack of Mouse support. I have been whining about this forever :smiley: I have never subscribed to the NO MOUSE fundamentalist view. A mouse or a trackpad will be game changer. Now let's just figure out the file system app. I don't know what Apple has always had such an hard time with file management. :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tht said:

Next up, the Smart Connector on the iPad Pros really should be able to do USB3.2, so that this style of keyboard cover can have ever more functionality, including more ports, batteries, so on and so forth.

I would say that the smart connector, if they are to use it, would be better modeled after the bottom connector on my Thinkpad.   It enables ALL functions to be ported through a dock with multiple ports coming out of that dock:   USB ports, ethernet, power, display ports, etc., etc., etc....  Essentially, the dock is connected to all of the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, display, external storage, ethernet, etc.) and all you do is lay the computer on the dock and it is connected.   When you need to leave, press a button to unlock the computer and stick it in your bag and away you go -- you do not have to unplug a thing.

In other words, such a connector should be capable of doing much, much more than simply driving a keyboard and trackpad.
    razorpit
  • Reply 54 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    tht said:

I would say that the smart connector, if they are to use it, would be better modeled after the bottom connector on my Thinkpad.   It enables ALL functions to be ported through a dock with multiple ports coming out of that dock:   USB ports, ethernet, power, display ports, etc., etc., etc....  Essentially, the dock is connected to all of the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, display, external storage, ethernet, etc.) and all you do is lay the computer on the dock and it is connected.   When you need to leave, press a button to unlock the computer and stick it in your bag and away you go -- you do not have to unplug a thing.

In other words, such a connector should be capable of doing much, much more than simply driving a keyboard and trackpad.
    Kinda like a USB 3 connector?

I don't know if it would be technically feasible to make the start connector USB 3 but that would be a cool feature and instantly give a ton of flexibility.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 64
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:

If the price is too high just wait till Black Friday for a deal or till when the next year's model is out.   Apple is beginning a transition with the new capabilities of the iPP (TrackPad/mouse support yeah)   things will be a little better in a few years.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    MplsP said:
    tht said:

Kinda like a USB 3 connector?

I don't know if it would be technically feasible to make the start connector USB 3 but that would be a cool feature and instantly give a ton of flexibility.
    I definitely want to have the magnetically latching pogo pin style connectors. This allows easy the easy docking and undocking to the Magic Keyboard seen in the commercials. Issue is it's pogo pin style connections and with USB 3.2 or USB-C, you'll need 12 pins. That's a lot.

Apple has explored using a light-based data transmission before. This would reduce the pin count to something like 4 and a blinking light or two, but obviously requires new custom chips to be designed and never got anywhere inside Apple.

Ultimately, they will likely have to add another USBC port if they want to add more and more PC features. For displays, I imagine Sidecar will be a coming feature, but for dumb displays? They really need another USB-C or a USB 4 connector to make working on a desktop with a big monitor better.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 64
    MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

I have just orders mine. 
    Not from what I've read. Jason Snell and Federico Viticci say it's pretty craptastic:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2020/04/08/snell-brydge-pro
  • Reply 58 of 64
    tht said:

I looked forever for one and they don’t exist. I don’t believe there are magnets on the left edge to support one, unfortunately.  That’d be my choice too..
    My idea is not like the Smart Cover per se, though it would serve the same tasks. For my idea, Apple would have to add metal bits around the bezel on the front face, along with the existing bits on the back. Then you have one slab of cover that can magnetically latch on the back or the front. It wouldn't be connected to the side edge like the old Smart Covers. There would be a hole for the camera bump, so when latched in front, a bit of screen will be exposed.

What I don't like about the old Smart Cover designs is that it would hang loose when flipped to the back, though maybe they fixed that in later models? So my number priority would be for it to latch on securely in both the front and back.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 64
    bohlerbohler Posts: 42member
    EUR 399 is an insane price! I guess Apple is ripping off its customers again in order to afford some more stock buy backs ...
  • Reply 60 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is one of the most interesting and exciting accessories Apple has produced. I'm really looking forward to it.
    I‘ve heard good things about the trackpad on this new accessory. It’s interesting. For me, the iPad Pro has been my main computer for almost a year and I barely miss having a Mac. Only times it gets frustrating is in file sharing and working with larger files, but I do plan on getting the new iPad Pro, 1 TB model.
    watto_cobra