'iPhone 12' leak details smaller TrueDepth notch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,841member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Fatman said:
    I would prefer no notch - I wonder why Apple doesn't just add a narrow top bevel and leave the screen unobstructed? 
     Usability

As a security measure, the FaceID rig can be set to trigger only if it can see your eyes. Apple realised that most people would naturally look at the screen, not at a camera array in a bezel, hence the notch. It would be annoying for users to have to flick their eyes up to look at the camera and then back down to the screen, which is what they want to look at in the first place.

My guess is the notch is not going anywhere until Apple can put the array behind the screen.

A few millimetres difference will have zero impact on FaceID functionality. 

The array could easily be put in the bezel (a hump would be preferable IMO). The issue then would be how it looks. Not usability, though. 
  • Reply 22 of 43
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 552member
    And again, increasing the height of the top bezel mean LESS screen real estate for the majority of the applications in use today, as the top status bar would still need to appear and it would push down the rest of the content.

Since there's no way to get all of those sensors to work under the screen, the notch is a necessary evil...
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 43
    tobiantobian Posts: 152member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Fatman said:
    I would prefer no notch - I wonder why Apple doesn't just add a narrow top bevel and leave the screen unobstructed? 
     Usability

As a security measure, the FaceID rig can be set to trigger only if it can see your eyes. Apple realised that most people would naturally look at the screen, not at a camera array in a bezel, hence the notch. It would be annoying for users to have to flick their eyes up to look at the camera and then back down to the screen, which is what they want to look at in the first place.

My guess is the notch is not going anywhere until Apple can put the array behind the screen.

I doubt that tiny position change of your eyes when looking on screen, than the camera array, is even detectable by device in human hand (never stationary, measuring half a millimetre movement from the distance)
  • Reply 24 of 43
    tshapitshapi Posts: 371member
    Apple is always striving to improve there products!  I think RetinaID is probably the next step to make there products more secure after they combine faceID with touchID. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone X and after with notch; front does not look symmetric which apple tried to do on all iPhones from iPhone 4 to iPhone 8. So for 2020 SE, Apple could have increased the top side of screen by reducing top thick bezel like many android phones have done it. Bottom could not be reduced due to Touch ID. That change would have given more screen in same frame and new identity from 8/SE.

I would have XR sized bezels which are already tiny and place TrueDepth there.
    Current designs look dated precisely because of the huge notch. The XR's bezels are not tiny. Not in anybody's book. They dominate the phone. In design and industry terms they are positively massive. To qualify as tiny, they would have to be almost unnoticeable (like the bezels shown in the image here. 

They're only "GIGANTIC" in iKnockoff user's books. The same knockoffs that tossed in a notch to make knockoff iPhones and couldn't get rid of the chin!  :D

avon b7 said:
    This image is far more in line with current phones that use 3D depth sensing. A major improvement. As are the bezels.

I'm sure that those who held off on the iPhone 11 series already feel justified in their decisions. This will also have 5G. If they keep pricing in check, this could be a winner. 

Plus, they could have four models released this year which would be a first if an iPhone 12 (non-Pro) is kept in the lineup. 

Dude it's an iPhone. Knockoffs are gonna look exactly like it!

edited April 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    kbee said:
    FaceID is still a 100% fail in times of Corona. I know that there are tricks to make the iPhone recognise a second profile with mask - but it destroys the security.

Ummm WHAT?? How? FaceID (does the name give it away?) scans the users face and re-scans every time you use iPhone. Your face includes eyes, forehead, wrinkles, birthmarks and even hair in this application.

So the thief would need to be your twin AND have the same type of face mask.

At the risk of being banned: Why does only Apple get these stupid comments and illogical logic?
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Beats said:

Really?

This is from a 2019 phone.

Since then the 3D camera array has got even smaller. If anything the opposite is true! 
  • Reply 28 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,363member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Fatman said:
     Usability

You don't have to "flick your eyes up" to the camera.
    Try looking at the middle of the screen. It will work. Look at the top of the screen. It will work. I suspect looking at the bottom of the screen will work. Could you try it then comment again?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,937member
    digitol said:
    Kill The Notch! Trillion dollar Apple, can, should and may do better...it's just a matter of when.. Until then the clock is delayed because YOU settled and bought a compromised design. iPhone Notch. :disappointed: :D Heh heh. 
    Nonsense. They absolutely will, when it’s possible to. It isn’t currently. There’s no conspiracy. 
    tmayfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 43

avon b7 said:
    This image is far more in line with current phones that use 3D depth sensing. A major improvement. As are the bezels.

I'm sure that those who held off on the iPhone 11 series already feel justified in their decisions. This will also have 5G. If they keep pricing in check, this could be a winner. 

Plus, they could have four models released this year which would be a first if an iPhone 12 (non-Pro) is kept in the lineup. 
    Newsflash - every year’s iPhone is a winner. That’s why they keep raking it in. Even when the expensive X came out it raked it in, outselling the cheaper models. 
    tmayBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43

kbee said:
    FaceID is still a 100% fail in times of Corona. I know that there are tricks to make the iPhone recognise a second profile with mask - but it destroys the security.

Display integrated TouchID would be the way to go. I would even go with a cheeper TouchID only budget phone from Apple (TouchID sensor integrated in the display of course) - like an iPhone SE3 with no notch, no FaceID but an integrated TouchID. 
    Hasn’t been a fail for me — when at the grocery and wearing a mask, I use the passcode. So what? After I get home I wash my hands and wipe down my iPhone, keys, wallet, etc, and go back to using face id. 
  • Reply 32 of 43

Fatman said:
    I would prefer no notch - I wonder why Apple doesn't just add a narrow top bevel and leave the screen unobstructed? Oddly, the notch has become a distinguishing feature, since most others manufacturers don't have one or did away with them. Irregardless, I'm buying an iPhone12 - software and speed is still superior.
    Because with it, we get a bigger screen in a smaller shell size. The trade off is a bit of the screen which isn’t used for much anyway. My eyes don’t even see it. It’s akin to the rear-view mirror in your windshield, it takes up visibility space but you don’t care.

Obviously everyone on planet earth would prefer a solid all-screen, and I’m sure one day we’ll get one. But it isn’t magic, we have to get there. 
    edited April 2020 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    Thank God I got the new SE so I wouldn't have to carry such an ugly designed phone.
    For a billion+ dollar company, you'd think they'd have the innovation by now to eliminate the notch. I mean look at some of the Android competitors.
    Just goes to show, Apple is really behind the curve. 
  • Reply 34 of 43
    jgojcaj said:
    Thank God I got the new SE so I wouldn't have to carry such an ugly designed phone.
    For a billion+ dollar company, you'd think they'd have the innovation by now to eliminate the notch. I mean look at some of the Android competitors.
    Just goes to show, Apple is really behind the curve. 
    Just goes to show, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Android devices either A) copy the notch, B ) add a forehead or chin, or C) inexplicably do both. 

I wouldn’t trade my 11 for SE, even if the SE had the same cameras which it obviously doesn’t. Its screen is too small for the shell size. 
  • Reply 35 of 43

avon b7 said:
    This image is far more in line with current phones that use 3D depth sensing. A major improvement. As are the bezels.

Newsflash - every year’s iPhone is a winner. That’s why they keep raking it in. Even when the expensive X came out it raked it in, outselling the cheaper models. 
    Where are you getting your news?

If every year's iPhone were a winner, they wouldn't have done everything they have done over the last four years, from widening the model spread, having to play catch-up with the industry leaders, reduce pricing AND release a low cost 'new' variant outside of its usual release cycle.

Something was very much amiss and four years of flat sales does not a winner make. 
  • Reply 36 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,423member
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

If every year's iPhone were a winner, they wouldn't have done everything they have done over the last four years, from widening the model spread, having to play catch-up with the industry leaders, reduce pricing AND release a low cost 'new' variant outside of its usual release cycle.

Something was very much amiss and four years of flat sales does not a winner make. 
    For Fuck Sakes.

Apple did all of those things because it is a business, has massively increased its workforce, and through all of that, Huawei increased its smartphone sales to 240 Million units, and still is less than half of Apple's quarterly revenues, including all of its other businesses, and at margins that are a quarter of Apples.

Huawei has about 12% of the profits of Apple, and continues to be state supported, all the while creating a shit ton of very cheap smartphones, hence the unit sales.

Apple still makes over half of the profits in the smartphone industry. After that it's Samsung, and then Huawei, and given China's massive influence operations going on now, and backfiring, I'm not seeing Huawei make much progress on 5G infrastructure in Europe, and if anything, the West is disengaging with China due to their actions in the pandemic, and because the West had too many eggs in its China basket. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

Dude you're living in a fantasy world. Apple does not care what the knockoffs are doing. This argument that Samsung is better because it sells/gives away cheap 100 buck knockoffs by the boatloads isn't even used anymore because most people have grown out of it.

"Playing catch up" to knockoffs only in your little head.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 43
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

For Fuck Sakes.

Apple did all of those things because it is a business, has massively increased its workforce, and through all of that, Huawei increased its smartphone sales to 240 Million units, and still is less than half of Apple's quarterly revenues, including all of its other businesses, and at margins that are a quarter of Apples.

Huawei has about 12% of the profits of Apple, and continues to be state supported, all the while creating a shit ton of very cheap smartphones, hence the unit sales.

Apple still makes over half of the profits in the smartphone industry. After that it's Samsung, and then Huawei, and given China's massive influence operations going on now, and backfiring, I'm not seeing Huawei make much progress on 5G infrastructure in Europe, and if anything, the West is disengaging with China due to their actions in the pandemic, and because the West had too many eggs in its China basket. 

Fun fact: Apple makes Xiaomis annual profits in 6 hours!!

Imagine if Apple was funded by the CIA? The media would ask for Tim's head!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 43
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

Really?

Since then the 3D camera array has got even smaller. If anything the opposite is true! 

Nice knockoff iPhone. Very original with it's iPhone design, NOTCH and iPhone touch gestures.

• Reply 40 of 43
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

Really?

Nice knockoff iPhone. Very original with it's iPhone design, NOTCH and iPhone touch gestures.

You are doing yourself a disservice. 

You said others would copy the design rumoured in this article. I said that was not the case and could not be the case as the design had already shipped - last year! And on a competing phone. 

That is where your claim lost any validity. Although it had none to begin with as it offered nothing even barely constructive. 

I don't expect you to admit to that but digging an even deeper hole for yourself isn't doing you any favours. Touch gestures have been around for years. Huawei even has knuckle gestures. Is there anything simpler than a double tap with a knuckle to take a screenshot? Perhaps, but not on an iPhone. 

If you were referring to the gesture component in the image, the whole point of a 'gesture sensor' is to avoid 'touching' the device. 

Of course this type of gesture sensor is nothing new but they do have potential. Like taking screenshots without touching anything! So yes, there was an easier way! 

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple added some in the future. 

For example, like something effortlessly simple to silence a device. 

No doubt you will now tell me anxiously that that is a 'iknockoff TV' and how unjust it is that someone has copied an Apple patent for the same device! 

What would Picard think?