Any hard crashes?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Well, for me, since 10.2.4, it's almost DAILY.

The same happened to me for a while. I tracked it down to a faulty FireWire cable. OS X crashed almost daily. After I replaced the FireWire cable with a new one I have had no more crashes.

MacOS X is sensitive to problems with external units and with drivers. Buggy drivers and faulty hardware can give Kernel Panics.

So no more Kernel Panics here for the last half year.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tryd

The same happened to me for a while. I tracked it down to a faulty FireWire cable. OS X crashed almost daily. After I replaced the FireWire cable with a new one I have had no more crashes.

MacOS X is sensitive to problems with external units and with drivers. Buggy drivers and faulty hardware can give Kernel Panics.

So no more Kernel Panics here for the last half year.

The single external device I have at the moment is a USB mouse. Other than that, a HiFi and an Ethernet switch are connected. And that is it.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Didn't you also have a keyboard attached?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

"Screenshot?" I presume you speak of a picture taken with a physical camera of a display with the KP screen on it.

Correct!

Quote:

I've seen that. Just haven't seen it actually happen.

Me neither
  • Reply 25 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Didn't you also have a keyboard attached?

No, it's an iBook. The mouse is there because I sometimes need the middle and right button for working in X11 and RDC.

I used to get few kernel panics related to SMB, but that's been resolved, it seems. My iBook still freezes after stand-by, often, though. Plus I've been having lots of 5-minute-freezes of the UI lately.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Escape Pod is good for full screen app crashes (like games.) Get you out of trouble in a hurry.

Thanks Spart. I am really not familiar with this. Is it a download?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The tried-and-true method of determining if some hardware is causing the freezes or kernel panics is to simply unplug each one and see how you fare.

HP and Norton both (stupidly) create (maybe HP stopped?) kernel extensions that would give these types of problems too. I've kind of lucked out that none of my third-party software has tried to sudo itself into the System folder.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Thanks Spart. I am really not familiar with this. Is it a download?

Check

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/freebies/

Can be quite nifty. Though in full screen apps I do notice that if you hit cmd+opt+esc and the return key enough, the app in front dies.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The single external device I have at the moment is a USB mouse.

I had an apple mouse that was causing KPs- new mouse - no problems
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I had a few instances where everything would lock up. Had to press the power button.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

I had an apple mouse that was causing KPs- new mouse - no problems

We had a mouse once that caused my mother to panic
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Me neither

And that makes you grumble? What's wrong with you, m8?!
  • Reply 33 of 35
    I had hard crashes with bublic beta and 10.0.0-10.1.4, but none with 10.1.5 and later. Also, most of the "crashes" was caused by the GUI getting utterly stuck. (only had 2 kernel panics ever)

10.2.4 is rock solid!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    SMB crashes OS X like clockwork if you get really intense with it. Once last week VLC hung OS X opening a movie. No other crashes since updating to Jaguar.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    I've only had a few causes for a large number of hard crashes...

1. SMB stuff... If I don't play nice and unplug the machine I've mounted onto my os x laptop, then the finder goes all wacky.. though with enough patience, the system usually takes care of itself.

2. Carrara... It's a nice cheap 3d package, but MAN!.. on OS X it's painfully unstable.. but here again, I don't think I'm crashing OS X, but the video card.. I can't even cmd ctrl power button out of it.. I have to unplug and disconnect my battery to get the machine to pull out of it's funk.

3. I've had a few random crashes here and there that have caused me to have to reboot, but mostly since 10.2.4 things have been better for me actually.