Apple Card customers can defer their May payments

Posted:
in General Discussion
Just like April's deferred payments, Apple and Goldman Sachs are allowing Apple Card owners the ability to put off payments due in May without penalty.

Defer your May payment as the coronavirus pandemic continues
Defer your May payment as the coronavirus pandemic continues

As the world continues to wait for normalcy, unemployment and economic conditions keeps getting worse. With funds strained and government relief stretched thin as it is, Apple Card customers can defer their payments a month longer with no penalty.

This is in line with a majority of the credit industry, although interest will still apply. Not having another payment to worry about right now does help, even if it takes a little longer to pay off the card.

In order to opt into the Customer Assistance Program, Apple Card users will need to reach out to a support representative via the Wallet app on their iPhone.

Apple Card customers were allowed to defer payments in March and April too. It is likely that Apple and Goldman Sachs will continue to allow deferments throughout the duration of the coronavirus pandemic, given Apple CEO Tim Cook's statements on the matter during Thursday's earnings call.

Launched on August 20, 2019, the Apple Card was designed by Apple and developed by Goldman Sachs. While the Apple Card is primarily designed to work with Apple Pay, Apple provides each customer with a physical, titanium card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've been paying all of my bills on time, virus or no virus. Deferring is merely delaying the inevitable. The bills will have to be paid in full eventually and stacking more of them together is only going to add to the total amount that somebody owes. Plus, the article says that interest will still apply, so this doesn't sound like a good idea if somebody has good economic sense.

People who can't afford a credit card shouldn't use credit cards, in my opinion.

If somebody can't manage to pay a $1000 bill one month, is it going to be any easier for that person to pay $3000 + added interest all of a sudden, if they defer for 3 months?

Anyway, how people decide to manage their own bills is their problem and their decision I suppose.
    lkruppchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    apple ][ said:
    I've been paying all of my bills on time, virus or no virus. Deferring is merely delaying the inevitable. The bills will have to be paid in full eventually and stacking more of them together is only going to add to the total amount that somebody owes. Plus, the article says that interest will still apply, so this doesn't sound like a good idea if somebody has good economic sense.

People who can't afford a credit card shouldn't use credit cards, in my opinion.

If somebody can't manage to pay a $1000 bill one month, is it going to be any easier for that person to pay $3000 + added interest all of a sudden, if they defer for 3 months?

Anyway, how people decide to manage their own bills is their problem and their decision I suppose.

Well if you all of a sudden don't have a job then WTF are you supposed to do? I think its more important to keep a roof over your head and put food on the table than pay a credit card. Its not like they're the ones to blame here. This is an unusual circumstance. And, don't even try to give me this crap about well they should have the money to pay for it upfront or else they can't afford it.

Good on you that your bills are paid on time. That doesn't help those that have lost their job and can no longer do so themselves, even if they never had issues in the past. Yes this will hurt them, but for the time being it may help them as they have more important things to worry about right now than paying a credit card bill no matter how large or small.
    OferGeorgeBMacStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 18
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    macxpress said:
    apple ][ said:

Well if you all of a sudden don't have a job then WTF are you supposed to do? I think its more important to keep a roof over your head and put food on the table than pay a credit card. Its not like they're the ones to blame here. This is an unusual circumstance. And, don't even try to give me this crap about well they should have the money to pay for it upfront or else they can't afford it.

Good on you that your bills are paid on time. That doesn't help those that have lost their job and can no longer do so themselves, even if they never had issues in the past. Yes this will hurt them, but for the time being it may help them as they have more important things to worry about right now than paying a credit card bill no matter how large or small.
    He's not very self aware. If something doesn't directly affect him he can't conceive of how it can affect anyone else.
    macxpressOferGeorgeBMacStrangeDayschemengin1fastasleepbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 18
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 705member
    apple ][ said:

You are ever so better than us mere humans.
    macxpressOferGeorgeBMacStrangeDayschemengin1fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hoodjd73hoodjd73 Posts: 16member
    I would always pay my balance in full each month, but had to ask to defer my March balance that was due by the end of April. It took about a week after chatting with a representative for the balance to reflect being due by the end of May instead of April. I was able to pay some of the balance due, but not in full. When I reviewed my statement yesterday, they stayed true to their promise to defer any interest. The interest amount was $0. I will still try to pay as much as I can of the balance due by the end of May, but I am thankful to have the option again to defer to the end of June. Unprecedented times we are living in...
    fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:

I agree that those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to pay our bills on time should do so rather than defer them -- as you point out, for our own well being if nothing else.

Unfortunately there are millions in the U.S. suddenly without jobs or healthcare insurance who, through no fault of their own, are suddenly unable to pay those bills.  Yes, they will struggle when the cumulative bills come due -- and they will.   But hopefully the virus is soon brought under control and the economy returns to normal so they can get back to work paying all of their bills on time -- that will benefit everybody.  But, the longer the virus runs rampant, the longer that will be and the harder it will be for the nation and its people to recover from this assault on their physical and financial well being.
    StrangeDaysgatorguychemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    macxpress said:
    apple ][ said:

You're forgetting that these people have a myth narrative about their "rugged independence", blame those less fortunate than themselves, and have a general lack of empathy for others.
    GeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Xed said:
    macxpress said:
    apple ][ said:

He's not very self aware. If something doesn't directly affect him he can't conceive of how it can affect anyone else.
    Nailed it. It's been this way in his posts for about a decade of reading them. What is truly sad is I gather he's an old/older man past retirement age...and yet has experienced little personal growth over that time when it comes to ability to empathize with others, situations and challenges that people unlike himself experience, etc. 
    XedGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    apple ][ said:

I agree that those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to pay our bills on time should do so rather than defer them -- as you point out, for our own well being if nothing else.

Unfortunately there are millions in the U.S. suddenly without jobs or healthcare insurance who, through no fault of their own, are suddenly unable to pay those bills.  Yes, they will struggle when the cumulative bills come due -- and they will.   But hopefully the virus is soon brought under control and the economy returns to normal so they can get back to work paying all of their bills on time -- that will benefit everybody.  But, the longer the virus runs rampant, the longer that will be and the harder it will be for the nation and its people to recover from this assault on their physical and financial well being.
    I agree. Nicely worded. 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    You're forgetting that these people have a myth narrative about their "rugged independence", blame those less fortunate than themselves, and have a general lack of empathy for others.
    I wouldn't say that it's a myth. You can disagree if you like, that's ok. Doesn't change anything that I do.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Nailed it. It's been this way in his posts for about a decade of reading them. What is truly sad is I gather he's an old/older man past retirement age...and yet has experienced little personal growth over that time when it comes to ability to empathize with others, situations and challenges that people unlike himself experience, etc. 
    Nope. I've never said my age before and I'm not about to give out any details now, but I can say that I am not young and I am not old. I am somewhere in the middle and nope, not retired, as you falsely guessed. As for empathy, it depends for who we are talking about. They must first meet the qualifications.

edited May 2020
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Yes, that is why I believe that things need to get back to normal as quickly as possible. The side effects can be worse than virus.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    apple ][ said:
    Yes, that is why I believe that things need to get back to normal as quickly as possible. The side effects can be worse than virus.

Unfortunately "millions in the U.S. suddenly without jobs or healthcare insurance" is, and has been, the reality in the U.S.   It's just that right now it's even worse than usual.

The myth that anybody in the U.S. who wanted a (good paying) job could get one has always been a myth and still is.   It is why, 60 years ago, at the height of U.S. power and prestige, Johnson initiated his "war on poverty" -- to protect ALL Americans, not just the fortunate.

Unfortunately, we now have FauxNews spreading their "rugged individualism" propaganda to cover over the sad reality that has always existed here.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    apple ][ said:
    Trying thinking that through. Let's say we follow your idea of "getting things back to normal' immediately. We now have people that were self-isolating and social distancing who are now being infected which now just spreads the virus which just starts the whole fucking thing over again. Good job! Not listening to experts and injecting cleaning supplies isn't going to help you or society, but you do your own thing.
    GeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Xed said:
    apple ][ said:
    Trying thinking that through. Let's say we follow your idea of "getting things back to normal' immediately. We now have people that were self-isolating and social distancing who are now being infected which now just spreads the virus which just starts the whole fucking thing over again. Good job! Not listening to experts and injecting cleaning supplies isn't going to help you or society, but you do your own thing.
    Injecting cleaning supplies is fake news, but anybody who believes that is welcome to try it out.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    apple ][ said:
    Xed said:
    apple ][ said:
    Injecting cleaning supplies is fake news, but anybody who believes that is welcome to try it out.

"Fake News"?   No, it was the suggestion of Donald Trump.   Because he's embarrassed by his own words doesn't make it "FakeNews" in any way.  Besides, FauxNews holds a patent on FakeNews and they are very, very good at it.   Look at all the supposedly intelligent people they have fooled.
  • Reply 17 of 18

"Fake News"?   No, it was the suggestion of Donald Trump.   Because he's embarrassed by his own words doesn't make it "FakeNews" in any way.  Besides, FauxNews holds a patent on FakeNews and they are very, very good at it.   Look at all the supposedly intelligent people they have fooled.
    I couldn't care less about Fox News. I haven't watched it in years. If you want to talk about garbage fake news, then just look at CNN or MSNBC for starters. They have Fox News easily beat when it comes to garbage, fake news.

Liberal Lie Media likes to interpret Trump and explain what he's thinking and saying, as if anybody needs their help. Anybody with an IQ above 65 doesn't need the explanations and interpretations of proven liars who have done very little except lie and deliver fake news for many years straight now. I look forward to watching those lunatics melt down once again when November comes. I think it's finally going to push some of them completely over the edge, thankfully.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 18 of 18
    apple ][ said:

I couldn't care less about Fox News. I haven't watched it in years. If you want to talk about garbage fake news, then just look at CNN or MSNBC for starters. They have Fox News easily beat when it comes to garbage, fake news.

Liberal Lie Media likes to interpret Trump and explain what he's thinking and saying, as if anybody needs their help. Anybody with an IQ above 65 doesn't need the explanations and interpretations of proven liars who have done very little except lie and deliver fake news for many years straight now. I look forward to watching those lunatics melt down once again when November comes. I think it's finally going to push some of them completely over the edge, thankfully.

FauxNews is only the tip of the iceberg of right wing propaganda.
    Yes, MSNBC is unabashadly liberal.   So,  the right seems to use that as license to accuse ALL non-right-wing media of being biased.

Sorry, I'll stick to facts and experts rather than propaganda and talking heads.