Spymac Claims Apple Tablet Is A Go

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Spymac

"Apple Tablet to compete in new Home Portable market

28 03 03 | MAIL | PRINT | BY THE DIRECTOR

Apple is developing a consumer-level tablet system, according to recent information obtained by Spymac sources.

Rumors of an Apple-branded tablet have been circulating for some time, with increased expectation prior to January's Macworld Expo. At the expo, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that 2003 would be the year of the laptop -- and tablet technology purportedly plays a fundamental role in that strategy.

The unnamed tablet system -- featuring an 8.4" backlit TFT-display and built-in Airport Extreme -- will be marketed as a 'Home Portable' and will be targeted towards a specific demographic of users who want the portability of laptop but who do not require the power or diversity of Apple's current portable offerings. It is very much designed for home-use and, our source speculates, will be pushed for its Internet and connectivity capability.

Full technical specifications are not available at this time, though battery life is said to be targeted for up to five hours and the unit is operated via touchscreen and displayed keyboard. A docking station, which will include an external keyboard and mouse, will be available for an additional charge.

Current prototypes are wrapped in a dull black casing and feature an Infra-Red port, though such capability is said to be for internal use and will most likely not make it to production. More information on this development as it becomes available."

I'm a long time defender of the tablet concept as long as it runs a full, off the shelf version of Jaguar (and Panther). The home focus of this rumored device worries me. I just want to access my onsite Filemaker databases wirelessly, while standing comfortably holding a tablet in the crook of my arm "clipboard style". This is my dream. Steve please make it come true!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pffft.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    It would be nice. My dad will soon be in the market for a high end tablet/PDA. They're much easier to take through airport security than a laptop. He's an airline pilot so this is a big concern for him. He's currently a PC user.

"If he could be turned, he would make a powerful ally..."
  • Reply 3 of 8
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

It would be nice. My dad will soon be in the market for a high end tablet/PDA. They're much easier to take through airport security than a laptop. He's an airline pilot so this is a big concern for him. He's currently a PC user.

Reminds me of the pilot who was "caught" with a pair of scissors, and replied to the drone something like "Who cares if I have a pair of scissors? I could just crash the plane if I wanted to."

People, you are walking head first into 1984.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

Reminds me of the pilot who was "caught" with a pair of scissors, and replied to the drone something like "Who cares if I have a pair of scissors? I could just crash the plane if I wanted to."

People, you are walking head first into 1984.

I'm getting a little confused with all these iTablet treads. The number of iTablet related treads are now six.

And one more thing: Where are you people? I'm starting to feel alone here.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I'm getting a little confused with all these iTablet treads. The number of iTablet related treads are now six.

And one more thing: Where are you people? I'm starting to feel alone here.

Hey, I started this thread first, with a much clearer title, but everybody starting posting in the strangely named apple tablet (conf.....) thread.

• Reply 6 of 8
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    awwww...i feel so sorry for you...

• Reply 7 of 8
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Hey, I started this thread first, with a much clearer title, but everybody starting posting in the strangely named apple tablet (conf.....) thread.

I apologize. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I posted in this tread after conferring with my built in randomize engine?, so posting in this tread was just coincidental.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Please use this thread for discussion of the Spymac Tablet article.

Thanks.