Refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro may have 4TB storage option, 32GB memory

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Like MBA, base will start 256GB but expect two things, 14" and magic keyboard.. Hopefully price bit better.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    commentzillacommentzilla Posts: 725member
    i7, 6-Core, 32GB RAM, 2TB with IRIS iGPU is TOP CONFIG
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 23 of 39
    PickUrPoisonPickUrPoison Posts: 302member
    i7, 6-Core, 32GB RAM, 2TB with IRIS iGPU is TOP CONFIG
    Where’s that cpu coming from? 

No reason top config shouldn’t be 4TB unless Apple just doesn’t think many want it. 
  • Reply 24 of 39
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I haven’t seen anyone mention the great convenience of wearing an Apple Watch to unlock your MacBook Pro. The Touch ID is also convenient in my opinion.

A downside besides thickness issue to face ID, is the angle of the lid and the distance of your face from the emitter of dots— that would be very annoying when it’s ‘fiddely’. 
    __ A handheld iPhone is usually easy to aim at your face without a thought— it becomes automatic. 
    __ A lid sitting on a desk is stationary and you have to angle the lid with a reach and adjust it or your head to get into field of dots. 

Btw- is the Dell Face ID solution as reliable as Apple Face ID? Can it be fooled by a 2D photo?
    I don’t know about a problem with FaceId and sitting at a desk. Using a iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard or the new Magic Keyboard seems to work pretty much automatically. It is essentially instantaneous. If Apple could engineer a solution with the thin laptop screen case, it would work pretty well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    entropys said:
    Sounds very good. All it needs to be perfect would be decent pricing and at least one USB-A port.
    Surprised you didn’t ask for a RS-232 port too  :D
    chiapscooter63watto_cobraPickUrPoison
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I’m waiting for this for a long time. Bought two Airs this month.  When this comes I’ll upgrade from my 2012 MacBook Pro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 810member
    14” MacBook Pro with Intels laters mobile 10th generation, mini LED and 32GB LRDDR5!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I’d be less concerned about FaceID (yes, the Apple Watch auto log-in does the trick beautifully) and more concerned not having a really good front webcam fit for 2020. Also, as someone who has to use MS Office apps and Adobe for professional reasons, it would be nice if my (souped-up) MB Pro could actually cope better with multitasking between Mac/Office/Adobe apps. I sometimes wonder if I’m supposed to be a photographer, videographer, gamer or a graphic designer in order to get the right experience from my MB Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    If this does not have Wifi 6, what a shame and a Joke. 

- i7 STILL!!! ? = JOKE
    - No Wifi 6 (AX) = Joke
    - No edge2edge screen = Joke
    - Still using LED display = Joke
    - Still 60Hz screen = Joke

Overall rating F. But a nice toy. Not by any means a real computer. :D 
  • Reply 30 of 39
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Apple heavily weighs component cost with demand for that feature. Face ID is expensive, additional RAM expensive, OLED very expensive, SSD very expensive, bleeding edge Intel CPUs very expensive. If they are going to keep their high margins on hardware and hit a certain price point, they need to make compromises. I personally think they usually have a good balance and sometimes even surprise me - with the exception of storage. Putting 256GB storage in a laptop is a blunder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    seanj said:
    entropys said:
    Sounds very good. All it needs to be perfect would be decent pricing and at least one USB-A port.
    Surprised you didn’t ask for a RS-232 port too  :D
    How well would that fit in the “Tim taketh, Tim giveth paradigm” - together with MagSafe, decent keyboards, premium screen tech, premium build quality etc.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 32 of 39
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Xed said:
    What I want to see are WIFI6, LRDDR4 RAM, and Face ID.
    I don't blame you.   why jump now and miss new technology that will help.   I'm content with my 2015 MBP.   It's good that Apple has finally ditched the butterfly keyboard and are back to making decent laptops, but Intel needs to get the their act together or they will lose Apple as a customer soon.    I'm hoping for a 10 gen 10nm  6-8 core 14inch laptop with 32-64 GB LPDDR4.    Hopefully by 2021.  

Apple could get some upgraders by just including HDMI SD card reader, and MagSafe on the Pro's.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Xed said:
    What I want to see are WIFI6, LRDDR4 RAM, and Face ID.
    My first reaction when seeing Face ID was that it was more of a “wish list” request. After thinking about it a bit, it’s probably not an unusual request at all. However, this feature would only be acceptable to me if it requires a secondary physical trigger, like pressing a keyboard key or clicking the trackpad/mouse. 

I use Apple Watch unlock on my home Mac and I noticed that it unlocks my Mac simply by being in proximity to it. If you’re in a shared office environment you probably don’t want to unlock you machine simply because you’re near it, say when grabbing a note pad or phone off your desk on the way to a meeting and walking away with an unlocked Mac sitting there. Since I prefer a physical trigger, Touch ID fits the need perfectly as-is, but I’m pretty sure a Face ID implementation could be adapted to require a physical trigger, however it’s not a purchase defining feature.

In fact, when I reach a point when I “have to” replace a tool, like a Mac, because it no longer does the job adequately, I simply buy the best available tool I can afford at the time, with some consideration for what I think will be a reasonable useful lifetime. No matter what you buy today there will be rumors of something better coming in a few months. It’s like a twisted version of the marshmallow test because it’s more speculative. Life is too short to keep playing these marketing and tech media induced games.

The notion of Apple stuffing 4 TB of storage into a portable device is both bizarre and exciting. We all know that the price tag on this configuration will be staggering. Then you have to ask yourself why you’d want to have such a megastore of data sitting in a mobile device that can be fairly easily lost, stolen, or damaged? You also have to ask yourself why we’re not fully embracing the cloud and 5G instead so you don’t need such a massive local cache. On the other hand, storage is cheap, so why not put yourself in a position to never have to think about it?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    entropys said:
    Too thin for USB-A as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    PhiltkyPhiltky Posts: 2member
    You’re all talking CPU and screen size, but all I want is a GPU on a Pro Apple computer! I’m sure many of the prosumers need a laptop to move around, but actually work on desktop, plug on the charger and an external display. I mean using an intel gpu on a pro laptop is a joke to me.
    WarrenBuffduckh
  • Reply 36 of 39
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    I haven’t seen anyone mention the great convenience of wearing an Apple Watch to unlock your MacBook Pro. The Touch ID is also convenient in my opinion.

A downside besides thickness issue to face ID, is the angle of the lid and the distance of your face from the emitter of dots— that would be very annoying when it’s ‘fiddely’. 
    __ A handheld iPhone is usually easy to aim at your face without a thought— it becomes automatic. 
    __ A lid sitting on a desk is stationary and you have to angle the lid with a reach and adjust it or your head to get into field of dots. 

Btw- is the Dell Face ID solution as reliable as Apple Face ID? Can it be fooled by a 2D photo?
    I have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows Hello enable, and have zero issues recognizing me while using it on a desk.  

At some point, photos were used to fool Windows Hello, but the issue was fixed a few years ago.  
  • Reply 37 of 39
    commentzillacommentzilla Posts: 725member
    Philtky said:
    You’re all talking CPU and screen size, but all I want is a GPU on a Pro Apple computer! I’m sure many of the prosumers need a laptop to move around, but actually work on desktop, plug on the charger and an external display. I mean using an intel gpu on a pro laptop is a joke to me.
    I've pretty much stopped caring since I'm not doing 4k multi-cam editing, 3D or gaming any more. For everything else the IRIS PLUS should be plenty zippy. It's just about on par with a low end dGPU.
    chia
  • Reply 38 of 39
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    my MBP 2011 has upgraded to 4 TB and 32GB last year. and I can still keep the internal Super Drive DVD. And after a decade, the retina display is not attractive anymore because I prefer larger fonts now.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    XedXed Posts: 2,570member
    ivanh said:
    my MBP 2011 has upgraded to 4 TB and 32GB last year. and I can still keep the internal Super Drive DVD. And after a decade, the retina display is not attractive anymore because I prefer larger fonts now.
    What do larger fonts have to do with not wanting a quality, modern display? You may have a good amount of storage and RAM when looking at one number, but there other values to consider when talking about storage and memory. If you're happy with a decade old Mac then that's great, but don't kid yourself about it being just as good or better than a modern one because you added some aftermarket upgrades.

Why do you still need a CD or DVD drive?
    edited May 2020