13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    dewme said:
    dewme said:
    avon b7 said:
    I imagine this would not have been possible without state and federal aid so the question on most people's lips is how much is involved.

Long term, it is a reasonable strategy, even with the government helping out which is how it should be IMO. The control of IoT security has long been a concern to many, and the chipset supply chain has been the biggest worry of them all. It would make sense to have IoT chipsets fabbed locally along with phone SoCs etc. 

Between now and 2024 there will be an incredible amount of IoT devices hitting the market. Far outnumbering phone chipsets. 
    I don't know the details, but I wonder why the US didn't invest in saving and retaining US companies like Fairchild Semiconductors and National Semiconductors if having in-country fabs was of strategic national importance? There is also a concern in the back of my head that no matter how close we think the US may be with a foreign country, politics can change in a heartbeat. Maybe it's because a quarter of the students in my advanced military training program for state-of-the-art systems (that are still front line) were Iranian. One day they were our dear classmates, the next day they were gone.
    Perhaps the US could do more to promote the interests of US citizens, as has been happening  since 2016.
    What has the US done since 2016 to improve its modern manufacturing competency and global competitiveness? As a country we have to earn respect in competitive environments, not coerce it with threats and tariffs. I have no problem with the US temporarily propping up uncompetitive US industries to give them time to get their act together, to the point where they are competitive, like we did with Harley Davidson. At some point the water wings have to come off and it's time for these companies to swim or die. It doesn't really matter whether the water wings are applied by a bureaucrat or an autocrat means, they have to come off. 

One could argue that some countries are propping up their manufacturing base. That's undoubtedly true, but they are getting a lot of help from US companies who are in-turn being richly rewarded by Wall Street. I'd rather see the US investing in propping up US-based and US-owned competitors to Foxconn and TSMC so US manufacturing companies can win back Apple's business rather than looking for coerced charitable handouts from afar. Yes, this requires a lot of hard work and scares the crap out of the one percent club because it's hard and doesn't deliver big ROI in the next quarter. However, this whole charade of having the one percenters coming up with a farcical plan that throws a skinny little bone to a tiny fraction of the working class for show purposes, without creating any sustainable competency that outlives the charade, is a cruel game of smoke & mirrors.
    China has strong relationships between government and industry where each supports the other.  It is based on real nationalism.   Real patriotism.   Not the fake stuff of the Trumpers.   We should be learning from them rather than making futile, embarrassing efforts to block them.
    You just made my case that Huawei, and other Chinese companies can't be trusted by the West for critical infrastructure.

Thanks so much.

LOL.... Hardly... Only in your right wing brain that believes all government is evil and the enemy of the both the people, industry and finance.  

• Reply 42 of 52
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    I imagine this would not have been possible without state and federal aid so the question on most people's lips is how much is involved.

Long term, it is a reasonable strategy, even with the government helping out which is how it should be IMO. The control of IoT security has long been a concern to many, and the chipset supply chain has been the biggest worry of them all. It would make sense to have IoT chipsets fabbed locally along with phone SoCs etc. 

Between now and 2024 there will be an incredible amount of IoT devices hitting the market. Far outnumbering phone chipsets. 
    You can't understand why I and others are against Huawei in our critical infrastructure, and why it is a National Security risk, but here you are, talking about security of our critical infrastructure, but only with regards to IoT.

The U.S. needs secure manufacturing for leading edge ARM silicon, and while Taiwan is still independent of China (China disagrees with that), that may not always be the case. More to the point, why would the U.S. allow leading edge technology with dual purpose, military and civilian, to be readily available to our primary adversary?

No, we know WHY you are against Huawei.   We just think its bullshit.

As for this particular case -- why worry about being self sufficient in one product if you need a dozen more just to make it work?.   And, why would you choose a Chinese company if you are trying to secure yourself from China?   That's silly.
    TSMC isTaiwanese.  Taiwan doesn't consider itself to be a part of China regardless of whether you do or not.

The world knows that its part of China.   It's only the Trumpers who haven't figured that out yet.

But, what makes this nonsense even more nonsensical:  the world considers Taiwan a part of China -- which makes TSMC a Chinese company.   So here we have Trump telling a Chinese company that he won't let them sell to another Chinese company!  

Cramer is both a solid Trumper and a China hater.   But even he was incredulous and his question was:  "Are you crazy?  Why would you pick a fight NOW?" 
    And, I might add, an unwinnable fight -- just like his last.   And the losers will be:   Everybody but Trump.
    China has "title" to it, but doesn't have any control of the government, people, or companies, and Taiwan's military is configured to repel a Chinese invasion. Many Western nations might support a military intervention to prevent China from taking Taiwan, but as China's military power grows, that look less likely, so the matter continues in limbo.

Still, you are technically incorrect that China owns TMSC, since China does not own the company. Hence, why your statement that they "are both China" is incorrect. More to the point, the Taiwan policy that you attribute to Trump has been, more or less, policy since since the U.S. shifted to Beijing over Taipei as the capital of "China", ie, bipartisan.

Nice try -- but I didn't say China owned TSMC.   I said it was a Chinese company -- and Trump is telling them he decided they aren't allowed to sell to another Chinese company.   It's a bit like Xi telling Intel they can't sell to HP.   But, Trump does not seem to think he is bound by rules of honor, fairness, reason, law or even reality.
    So I'll post this, again in reference to Taiwan being independent of China;

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-taiwan-rejects-accepting-it-is-part-of-china-which-is-beijings-main/

"Taiwan’s health minister rejected on Friday China’s main condition for the island to be able to take part in the World Health Organization (WHO) – that it accepts it is part of China – ahead of a key meeting of the body during a pandemic.

Non-WHO member Taiwan has lobbied to take part as an observer in next week’s World Heath Assembly (WHA), drawing strong objections from Beijing, which considers Taiwan to be one of its provinces.

Taiwan says the coronavirus pandemic has made it more urgent than ever that it be allowed proper access to the WHO.

China says Taiwan can only participate under the “one China” principle, in which it accepts it is a part of China.

China’s Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that Taiwan’s ruling Democratic Progressive Party refused to do this, and so the political foundation for Taiwan’s WHO participation had “ceased to exist”.

So a high functioning Democracy, Taiwan, that doesn't want to be part of a larger Authoritarian Government, The Peoples Republic of China, states that they do not accept that it is part of China.

Practically the whole world supports Taiwan, but very few want to state so and infuriate the PRC.

You seem to be okay with Democracies capitulating to Communist Authoritarians.

At one point Virginia said the same.   What's your point?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

You can't understand why I and others are against Huawei in our critical infrastructure, and why it is a National Security risk, but here you are, talking about security of our critical infrastructure, but only with regards to IoT.

The U.S. needs secure manufacturing for leading edge ARM silicon, and while Taiwan is still independent of China (China disagrees with that), that may not always be the case. More to the point, why would the U.S. allow leading edge technology with dual purpose, military and civilian, to be readily available to our primary adversary?

As for this particular case -- why worry about being self sufficient in one product if you need a dozen more just to make it work?.   And, why would you choose a Chinese company if you are trying to secure yourself from China?   That's silly.
    TSMC isTaiwanese.  Taiwan doesn't consider itself to be a part of China regardless of whether you do or not.

The world knows that its part of China.   It's only the Trumpers who haven't figured that out yet.

But, what makes this nonsense even more nonsensical:  the world considers Taiwan a part of China -- which makes TSMC a Chinese company.   So here we have Trump telling a Chinese company that he won't let them sell to another Chinese company!  

Cramer is both a solid Trumper and a China hater.   But even he was incredulous and his question was:  "Are you crazy?  Why would you pick a fight NOW?" 
    And, I might add, an unwinnable fight -- just like his last.   And the losers will be:   Everybody but Trump.
    Doesn't matter what the world thinks.  It matters what the Taiwanese think.

Some Taiwanese say that
    -- mostly egged on by the American Right Wing crazies.

But, like was already pointed out:  Why didn't we care when Virginia said the same?    "Oh!  Some of you decided you don't like us!  Ok!   Good-Bye!"
    And, at this point we have right wingers saying the same thing here about our government.   Should we let, say, Michigan or Portland split off because of a few screwballs?

There's a reason why it is only American right wing extremists who don't see Taiwan as Chinese.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 44 of 52
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    - The policy to only source products from within the US is wrong. Certain products of course, but not everything. 
    - The choice of Taiwan is fantastic. Wonderful place, not part of China despite what some here might thing, democratic and quality products. Under Mao China lost much of its historical treasures and culture. Fortunately his opponents were able to save a lot when they escaped, and took over Formosa ( now Taiwan).
    - Getting away from the CCP is good. Taiwan can help.
    - It is unfortunate that the US, amongst others, threw Taiwan under the bus in order in a gambit to change Communist China. That failed.
    - Taiwan is not Hong Kong and not at all in the same unfortunate predicament.

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 52
    JBSloughJBSlough Posts: 92member
    dewme said:
    avon b7 said:

I don't know the details, but I wonder why the US didn't invest in saving and retaining US companies like Fairchild Semiconductors and National Semiconductors if having in-country fabs was of strategic national importance? There is also a concern in the back of my head that no matter how close we think the US may be with a foreign country, politics can change in a heartbeat. Maybe it's because a quarter of the students in my advanced military training program for state-of-the-art systems (that are still front line) were Iranian. One day they were our dear classmates, the next day they were gone.
    Perhaps the US could do more to promote the interests of US citizens, as has been happening  since 2016.
    Like that Foxconn factory in WI. Lots going on there, huh? 
    drdavidGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 46 of 52
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,425member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

There's a reason why it is only American right wing extremists who don't see Taiwan as Chinese.
    If only that were close to being true, but it isn't, unless you are an authoritarian.GeorgeBMac said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

China has "title" to it, but doesn't have any control of the government, people, or companies, and Taiwan's military is configured to repel a Chinese invasion. Many Western nations might support a military intervention to prevent China from taking Taiwan, but as China's military power grows, that look less likely, so the matter continues in limbo.

Still, you are technically incorrect that China owns TMSC, since China does not own the company. Hence, why your statement that they "are both China" is incorrect. More to the point, the Taiwan policy that you attribute to Trump has been, more or less, policy since since the U.S. shifted to Beijing over Taipei as the capital of "China", ie, bipartisan.

Nice try -- but I didn't say China owned TSMC.   I said it was a Chinese company -- and Trump is telling them he decided they aren't allowed to sell to another Chinese company.   It's a bit like Xi telling Intel they can't sell to HP.   But, Trump does not seem to think he is bound by rules of honor, fairness, reason, law or even reality.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-taiwan-rejects-accepting-it-is-part-of-china-which-is-beijings-main/

"Taiwan’s health minister rejected on Friday China’s main condition for the island to be able to take part in the World Health Organization (WHO) – that it accepts it is part of China – ahead of a key meeting of the body during a pandemic.

Non-WHO member Taiwan has lobbied to take part as an observer in next week’s World Heath Assembly (WHA), drawing strong objections from Beijing, which considers Taiwan to be one of its provinces.

Taiwan says the coronavirus pandemic has made it more urgent than ever that it be allowed proper access to the WHO.

China says Taiwan can only participate under the “one China” principle, in which it accepts it is a part of China.

China’s Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that Taiwan’s ruling Democratic Progressive Party refused to do this, and so the political foundation for Taiwan’s WHO participation had “ceased to exist”.

So a high functioning Democracy, Taiwan, that doesn't want to be part of a larger Authoritarian Government, The Peoples Republic of China, states that they do not accept that it is part of China.

Practically the whole world supports Taiwan, but very few want to state so and infuriate the PRC.

The point is, that Taiwan is independent of China, no matter what China wants to believe today, and no matter that political calculus that made it so. Whether China invades Taiwan is certainly worth discussing, but today, they are independent entities.

Of course, Taiwan could turn out to be Hungary, where the West let the Soviets roll in and take it, but that didn't last too long.

Better for China to liberalize, but of course, you love China just as it is, an authoritarian superpower.
    edited May 2020 ronn
  • Reply 47 of 52
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

If only that were close to being true, but it isn't, unless you are an authoritarian.GeorgeBMac said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

The point is, that Taiwan is independent of China, no matter what China wants to believe today, and no matter that political calculus that made it so. Whether China invades Taiwan is certainly worth discussing, but today, they are independent entities.

Of course, Taiwan could turn out to be Hungary, where the West let the Soviets roll in and take it, but that didn't last too long.

Better for China to liberalize, but of course, you love China just as it is, an authoritarian superpower.

China has made it abundantly clear that Taiwan is part of the China.   Except for the hard core American right wingers, the world knows that. respects that and accepts that.  

Trump though has been stirring up discontent over there and China has done little to stop it because they avoid conflict.   But, as we are seeing, their patience with that fool is wearing thin.   If they decide to take it, they will.   And, the Taiwanese people will find that Trump has no substance and will abandon them just as he did the Kurds.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

China has made it abundantly clear that Taiwan is part of the China.   Except for the hard core American right wingers, the world knows that. respects that and accepts that.  

Trump though has been stirring up discontent over there and China has done little to stop it because they avoid conflict.   But, as we are seeing, their patience with that fool is wearing thin.   If they decide to take it, they will.   And, the Taiwanese people will find that Trump has no substance and will abandon them just as he did the Kurds.
    I laugh at your constant trope that only "right wingers" believe that Taiwan should not be part of China. 

Taiwan is a Democracy, for fuck sake. They deserve a chance to survive intact, but that won't happen when Authoritarian China ultimately decides to invade Taiwan. 

You are siding with the wrong party.
    watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 49 of 52
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

I laugh at your constant trope that only "right wingers" believe that Taiwan should not be part of China. 

Taiwan is a Democracy, for fuck sake. They deserve a chance to survive intact, but that won't happen when Authoritarian China ultimately decides to invade Taiwan. 

You right wingers live in your own universe where reality is whatever FauxNews and its clones decree it is.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

You right wingers live in your own universe where reality is whatever FauxNews and its clones decree it is.
    LOL,

The fact that you label anyone that disagrees with you a right winger is telling.

Maybe you are secretly a Trotskyite.
    lkruppwatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 51 of 52
    microbemicrobe Posts: 51member
    Sounds like a good idea making them here. I’ve always heard it takes a huge amount of water to make them. So I will leave with two words: Arizona. Water. Or, Water. Arizona. 
  • Reply 52 of 52
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

LOL,

The fact that you label anyone that disagrees with you a right winger is telling.

Maybe you are secretly a Trotskyite.

Just calling a spade a spade.  
    If you spout right wing bullshit you are probably a right-winger.
    If you blindly support Trump and his lies you are probably a Trumper.