'Apple Glass' details leaked, will cost $499 and work with prescriptions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    There’s more than prediction going on here. Apple obviously has an employee or trusted contractor feeding this guy internal, confidential company information. I’m surprised Apple hasn’t hired someone with legitimate experience in counter espionage to trap their internal mole and shutdown the source of the leaks.
    What makes you believe it's not an Apple-sanctioned leak? They've done so before via trusted bloggers/journalists. Considering the odd times we're in where it's difficult to build excitement over anything other than a vaccine I would not be surprised at all that this is one of those "leaks" from some Apple PR person. Reminders that Apple is still inventing, and new products are coming. 
    What makes me believe it is that the leak (if true) drains 90% of the wind out of the sails of a future event. Apple is doing great right now and doesn’t need publicity month before they announce a product that won’t be available at launch. I expect that Apple execs hate when “one more thing” is perceived as anticlimactic. 
    I suppose an intentional leak campaign is always a possibility but I lean more towards Apple wanting to make a big splash with a tightly choreographed announcement, as Randominternetperson mentioned. But I understand that intentionally leaked product details are on the spectrum of possibilities. If Apple were caught doing this I think it would tarnish their credibility a bit, if anyone cares about that sort of thing anymore in the constant flurry of information spewing out from everywhere these days. So much noise...
    tmayrandominternetpersonpscooter63cornchiproundaboutnowlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 95
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Let’s see if a killer app emerges that will jump start sales. In addition people are very particular about their eyewear in terms of styling. It’s very personal and I hope Apple offers different styles. If it’s a one-style-size-fits-all that could be a hinderance to adoption.
    edited May 2020 dewmecornchipentropys
  • Reply 23 of 95
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    wattouk said:
    I’m excited for this product, it would be handy with directions and other things.

Surely the only thing they can name it is iSight???
    iGlasses. You’re welcome. I take checks.
    um Prosser already said Apple were going to call them Glass. 
    cornchiplolliver
  • Reply 24 of 95
    dewme said:
    There’s more than prediction going on here. Apple obviously has an employee or trusted contractor feeding this guy internal, confidential company information.
    Typically it's someone who is disgruntled/disillusioned and/or needs the money...kind of like standard espionage targets.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 95
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s see if a killer app emerges that will jump start sales. In addition people are very particular about their eyewear in terms of styling. It’s very personal and I hope Apple offers different styles. If it’s a one-style-size-fits-all that could be a hinderance to adoption.
    I don't think there needs to be a killer app to jump start sales. I mean five, almost six generations into the Watch, there really isn't a killer app, just the actual hardware. Sure the health apps but that is really just taking advantage of the OS and the hardware feature set. I can see (no pun intended) the same thing happening with Glass.

I agree, I hope they have different styles. I have a few pairs of glasses for that reason. I can see them working with or licensing the lenses with a company like Warby Parker or maybe even in the future, buying them out. If this product will indeed have an option for prescription lenses, that requires Apple Store employees to have some optic knowledge.

If Glass is some how able to monitor eye health, which I am sure it will, this will be an absolute game changer in health and Apple will have a real winner on their hands.
    randominternetpersoncornchiplolliverblastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 95
    sabossabos Posts: 1member
    Did Apple learn nothing from the Google “glass-hole” debacle? The issue with these isn’t technical, it’s social. The backlash against people wearing cameras on their faces in public spaces was a genuine phenomenon and a notable Internet meme. These will get banned by businesses and in many public places where people will fear being recorded and photographed. And wearing them will create an “us against them” dynamic that will undoubtedly boil over into physical altercations. When combined with the complexity of providing multiple styles, and the high replacement cost, I think these thing have a limited future. No better than Apple Watch, and probably much, much worse.
    edited May 2020 cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 95
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    JinTech said:
    Oh boy, I can just hear it now. If people who wore Google Glass were called Glassholes, they are going to start calling us Aholes  :o  :D
    Naw... Appholes.  :s

But I don't see that happening. The reason Google Glass users got that nickname was the intrusive camera. If Apple Glass doesn't have a camera, it isn't so intrusive though because Google Glass did, many uninformed people may assume it has a camera and get upset anyway. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
    randominternetpersonlollivertobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 95
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    sabos said:
    Did Apple learn nothing from the Google “glass-hole” debacle? The issue with these isn’t technical, it’s social. The backlash against people wearing cameras on their faces in public spaces was a genuine phenomenon and a notable Internet meme. 
    You might want to consider actually reading the article ... there are NO cameras on this thing as described.
    gregoriusmpscooter63roundaboutnowrazorpitRayz2016fastasleepboxcatcherlollivertobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 95
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Can’t respect leaks from someone that sounds like Fozzie Bear 🐻 
  • Reply 30 of 95
    hentaiboy said:
    Can’t respect leaks from someone that sounds like Fozzie Bear 🐻 
    Are you kidding me!? That increases his respect from where I sit. Fozzie was the bomb growing up (well, him and Beeker)!!
    cornchiplolliverbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 95
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:
    I don't think there needs to be a killer app to jump start sales. I mean five, almost six generations into the Watch, there really isn't a killer app, just the actual hardware. Sure the health apps but that is really just taking advantage of the OS and the hardware feature set. I can see (no pun intended) the same thing happening with Glass.

I agree, I hope they have different styles. I have a few pairs of glasses for that reason. I can see them working with or licensing the lenses with a company like Warby Parker or maybe even in the future, buying them out. If this product will indeed have an option for prescription lenses, that requires Apple Store employees to have some optic knowledge.

If Glass is some how able to monitor eye health, which I am sure it will, this will be an absolute game changer in health and Apple will have a real winner on their hands.
    Every major hardware / platform needs a killer app or use case otherwise it ceases to exist and not many people will buy it, at least not at the scale Apple would like.

1984 Mac - Desktop Publishing
    Windows - Office Productivity
    first iMac - Mac as the Digital Hub (iWork / iLife)
    first Mac Pro - Tool for content creators (Final Cut Pro / Logic Pro)
    iPod - 1000 song in your pocket
    iPhone - Internet in your pocket
    iPad - A device that's more powerful than iPhone and more intimate than a Mac
    Watch - fitness / health monitoring & glanceable communications

That's not to say these platforms / products are not used for other things but it was these use cases that catapulted them into the mainstream.
    edited May 2020 jony0entropyslolliver
  • Reply 32 of 95
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    There’s more than prediction going on here. Apple obviously has an employee or trusted contractor feeding this guy internal, confidential company information. I’m surprised Apple hasn’t hired someone with legitimate experience in counter espionage to trap their internal mole and shutdown the source of the leaks.
    What makes you believe it's not an Apple-sanctioned leak? They've done so before via trusted bloggers/journalists. Considering the odd times we're in where it's difficult to build excitement over anything other than a vaccine I would not be surprised at all that this is one of those "leaks" from some Apple PR person. Reminders that Apple is still inventing, and new products are coming. 
    What makes me believe it is that the leak (if true) drains 90% of the wind out of the sails of a future event. Apple is doing great right now and doesn’t need publicity month before they announce a product that won’t be available at launch. I expect that Apple execs hate when “one more thing” is perceived as anticlimactic. 
    Furthermore this guy is claimIng Apple is asking around about who his sources are. Just because they’re curious? 

Weirdly, his response is “you’re looking in the wrong place”?....  Uhmmm...? 

EDIT: I also wonder why they’re announcing this thing like a year in advance. 
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 95
    One of the key and surprising aspect of the Apple Watch roll out was the diversity of options that were available from a fashion perspective and the fact that Apple specifically made style and fashion a critical part of the design process.  I would expect Apple to follow that same approach with glasses.  Apple knew that wearing something is more intimate and personal that using something so the same rules don't apply.  Google failed spectacularly there; I don't see Apple making that mistake.  As others have said here, Apple will ultimately need to offer LOTS of styles if they want to "own the face" they way the Apple Watch owns the wrists of millions of people.  

As an aside, I encourage AI to routinely include unobtrusive photo captions so they can remind readers that the various images shown in these speculative articles are a) not official Apple images and b) typically aren't even from the same source as the rumor being discussed.  I don't believe Apple is going to style their product after 20th century military BCGs, for example.  And I don't believe the source of this rumor is suggesting that.
    edited May 2020 cornchipentropyspscooter63lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 95
    JinTech said:
    With LiDAR, I can see a new way to cheat for Major League Baseball. Have it track the ball and let the batter know where the ball will be when gets to the plate and when to swing. That would be a great training tool as well....
    Players would likely not be able to wear them during game play.

Of course, No technology is allow during the game, but that won't stop a person from trying.....

• Reply 35 of 95
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:

They already have, or had, an agreement like the one you propose...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/09/rumor-apple-working-with-carl-zeiss-on-ar-glasses-to-debut-in-2018
    randominternetpersoncyberzombiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Japhey said:
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/09/rumor-apple-working-with-carl-zeiss-on-ar-glasses-to-debut-in-2018
    Carl Zeiss make the glass (lenses) not the frames. Warby Parker does both.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 95
    sabos said:
    Did Apple learn nothing from the Google “glass-hole” debacle? The issue with these isn’t technical, it’s social. The backlash against people wearing cameras on their faces in public spaces was a genuine phenomenon and a notable Internet meme. These will get banned by businesses and in many public places where people will fear being recorded and photographed. And wearing them will create an “us against them” dynamic that will undoubtedly boil over into physical altercations. When combined with the complexity of providing multiple styles, and the high replacement cost, I think these thing have a limited future. No better than Apple Watch, and probably much, much worse.
     Phenomenon”? 
    Did Google actually sell that many pairs of those things to warrant a phenomenon? Or did it really happen only a few times, then get artificially magnified by every journalist and blogger in the tech sphere?
    Quick poll here: how many people here ever actually saw a pair of Google Glass in the wild? I consider the members of this forum with more than a 1 post history to be way above average when it comes to tech knowledge and savvy. So, if more than a couple of them have actually seen them in person, then I will buy your phenomenon theory. 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 95
    JinTech said:
    Japhey said:
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:

Carl Zeiss make the glass (lenses) not the frames. Warby Parker does both.
    Yes, but you weren’t talking about the frames in the original post...

I can see them working with or licensing the lenses with a company like Warby Parker”. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 95
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Even Dead I’m The Hero. 
  • Reply 40 of 95
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:

Every major hardware / platform needs a killer app or use case otherwise it ceases to exist and not many people will buy it, at least not at the scale Apple would like.

1984 Mac - Desktop Publishing
    Windows - Office Productivity
    first iMac - Mac as the Digital Hub (iWork / iLife)
    first Mac Pro - Tool for content creators (Final Cut Pro / Logic Pro)
    iPod - 1000 song in your pocket
    iPhone - Internet in your pocket
    iPad - A device that's more powerful than iPhone and more intimate than a Mac
    Watch - fitness / health monitoring & glanceable communications

That's not to say these platforms / products are not used for other things but it was these use cases that catapulted them into the mainstream.
    I think this could be, in some ways at least, more akin to a web browser or maps application or a music player. 

Browsers need content to browse.
    Maps need data to bring them to life.
    Music players need music. 

AR devices will also need data . Lots of it.

So the 'killer app' as it were will largely be the data pool that the device feeds off. That might come via the cloud, phone, WiFi or even locally. 

I'm guessing of course but AR isn't new and neither is the hardware. 

Condensing it all down into a comfortable, light, piece of discrete hardware with an attractive price will be the challenge, along with enough data to make good use of the device itself. 

The entire industry is working to the same goals so the more hardware that gets released, the more data should be available.