Review: Synology DS-1618+ network attached storage device is the best kind of overkill for...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,919administrator
    tpf1952 said:
    I use an  OWC 6-bay RAID for 4k video post production and stills attached to either a 2018 Mac Mini or a 2019 15" MacBook Pro. The notion of being able to access files from either computer without having to re-attach cables is very appealing. Would also like to be able to do post on stills remotely. Can this Synology deliver the read/write speeds to make 4k video editing practical?

Many thanks,

Tom

I really don't have a good answer for you, as this is reliant on your network, but, provisionally, I'm going to say no using the Synology as a 4K workspace over Gigabit with hard drives.

Maybe on a properly-configured 10-gig network with SSDs.
    tpf1952
  • Reply 22 of 25
    d0gg said:
    I have two setup on my network. Hosting videos. (each NAS is filled with 6 x 4TB WD Red)

I started with one and was blown away by the ease of setup and the performance. Decided to pick up another and upgrade my existing NASes.

I was using Two Drobo 5Ns and a Netgear readyNAS.
    One of the 5Ns failed, which moved me to the first of the two DS-1618+.

Hi, I'm curious why you added a second 1618+ instead of adding a DX517 expansion unit. 

• Reply 23 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    viclauyyc said:
    j2fusion said:
    Same here.  I’ve had one for several years.  The great thing about it is all the models use the same OS. Everything from the small 2-Drive system all the way to the 12-Drive Intel Xeon System use the same easy to use interface. Also I think, although I’ve never tried it, you can upgrade to a bigger system by simply swapping drives from the old enclosure to the new one.  Did I read that somewhere? 
    Synology to Synology, you sure can.
    I have a bad habit of keeping too many copies of same files. Now I have TB of same file in thousand of folder. 

Can you guys write an article about the best app/way to compare versions of files.

thanks
    There's a good app for that kind of thing:

https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net

You just drop a folder in and it will find which files are exact copies. You can use QuickLook to preview to make sure and you can batch select them and delete.
    avon b7razorpit
  • Reply 24 of 25
    d0ggd0gg Posts: 9member
    d0gg said:
    I have two setup on my network. Hosting videos. (each NAS is filled with 6 x 4TB WD Red)

I started with one and was blown away by the ease of setup and the performance. Decided to pick up another and upgrade my existing NASes.

I was using Two Drobo 5Ns and a Netgear readyNAS.
    One of the 5Ns failed, which moved me to the first of the two DS-1618+.

Hi, I'm curious why you added a second 1618+ instead of adding a DX517 expansion unit. 

Wanted a separate independent NAS. Wanted the extra slot.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Marvin said:
    viclauyyc said:
    j2fusion said:
    Same here.  I’ve had one for several years.  The great thing about it is all the models use the same OS. Everything from the small 2-Drive system all the way to the 12-Drive Intel Xeon System use the same easy to use interface. Also I think, although I’ve never tried it, you can upgrade to a bigger system by simply swapping drives from the old enclosure to the new one.  Did I read that somewhere? 
    Synology to Synology, you sure can.
    I have a bad habit of keeping too many copies of same files. Now I have TB of same file in thousand of folder. 

Can you guys write an article about the best app/way to compare versions of files.

thanks
    There's a good app for that kind of thing:

https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net

You just drop a folder in and it will find which files are exact copies. You can use QuickLook to preview to make sure and you can batch select them and delete.
    Thanks, I accidentally kept this tab open and I'm glad I did. I've been using Duplicate File Finder Remover (rolls right off the tongue) but wasn't completely happy with it. A little confusing to use at times. I'll try this out.