House antitrust committee ready to subpoena Apple CEO Tim Cook for big tech investigation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    If Apple emerges victorious (I believe they will), I think it should ban these crybaby developers from the App Store.  Seriously.  These whiners have zero clue how hard it used to be before the App Store when it came to selling software of any kind.  Apple makes it super easy for a developer to have access to customers that Apple worked very hard to obtain.  You the developer didn't do jack-squat to do any of that.  

They can't make any money on Android, with far more users than Apple will ever have, yet they feel entitled to demand it adopts a similar, less-secure model??  Screw you guys.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    As part of a duopoly and owner of 2/3 of the mobile app market Apple is using their market power to engage in rent seeking.  It will be hard to feel sorry for Apple with what is coming in that context.  I thought it was going to be more of a problem for them in the EU but Phil Schiller managed to make things much worse for Apple in his communications to Basecamp suggesting one of the ways to get into compliance is to raise prices for Apple consumers.  US antitrust law is all about consumer harm and proposing a scheme where developers raise prices to cover Apple’s cut will be hard to spin as anything other than consumer harm.  

Interesting days ahead to see how this plays out and/or if Apple announces  any strategic changes tomorrow or otherwise attempts to negate their vulnerabilities to what is coming.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    urahara said:
    For google and Facebook, split the advertising business away from the other businesses. For amazon split the marketplace away from their own shop and for Apple split the AppStore away from iOS. 
    I am curious, what other business Google has a part from advertisement, and why should they split it. 
    They have search, email, cloud storage, operating systems, hardware. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member

lkrupp said:
    For google and Facebook, split the advertising business away from the other businesses. For amazon split the marketplace away from their own shop and for Apple split the AppStore away from iOS. 
    In the case of Google their entire business is advertising. If that is split off how will all the free stuff survive? All the Google docs apps will become subscription based. YouTube will Be a subscription service. ALL of the free Google things will vanish overnight. Would that make you happy?

As for the App Store who, exactly, would manage it? How much would it be allowed to charge developers for access? Who pays for it all? 
    The idea is the free stuff doesn’t survive. Google starts charging for it then the market can properly test whether google stuff is worth having or not. If it’s not a competitors will emerge and do a better job 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 25 of 27
    draenardraenar Posts: 14member
    This is all going to come down to a question of what is the market.  DHH and other freeloaders want to define the market at the iPhone and have Apple provide it for free!  

IMO, this is nonsense.  If someone wants to pay Basecamp $99 for whatever (unethical?) plans they have in mind for email, those people can use Android or some Chinese operating system.  Apple should be free to contract with whomever it wants to in order to provide apps for the iPhone.  Remember, the customer for Basecamp is Apple, who pays it, not the person Apple deals with.  
  • Reply 26 of 27
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    urahara said:
    I am curious, what other business Google has a part from advertisement, and why should they split it. 
    They have search, email, cloud storage, operating systems, hardware. 
    And why they should split it?

P.S.  Search != Advertisement business? Or it is the same and you just put it again in “other” businesses?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    elijahg said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Apple and a bunch of the big tech companies are going to have a problem. To me, there is clear evidence of anti-trust issues amongst Apple, Facebook, Twitter and others. Let’s obviously not forget Google. It has nothing to do with politics. This isn’t even about censorship online. I support apple and think they are a great company. But their practices with their App Store are questionable. Google has a massive problem and I think it’s going to be the next standard oil. 
    I consider all anti-monopoly and antitrust legislation bullshit. Markets ultimately determine winners and losers, not alleged attempts to control markets.
    So it was just fine for Microsoft in the 90's to intentionally break APIs that Netscape were using so they could have a chokehold over the internet, and therefore push out every other competitor in favour of Windows?
    If you didn’t use a Microsoft product, you were fine.