Reddit app update incoming after triggering iOS 14 clipboard snooping notice

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    I welcome this spying. Got my clipboard set to “F•ck you assholee Silicon Vallye giants” every other 30 secs via Siri Shortcuts
    That is pretty neat - the idea I mean. If you can't have iOS 14 on your device, setup a Siri Shortcut to clear your clipboard regularly. No idea what effect it would have on battery life, though.

The sad part though, is that we need to come up with hacks like this to protect our privacy.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    mtrivisomtriviso Posts: 21member
    lamo. Reddit is now owned and operated by the Chinese Communist Party. Just delete your Reddit account.
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Meanwhile Safari Technology Preview is reporting 7 trackers blocked on this AppleInsider page alone.
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mtriviso said:
    lamo. Reddit is now owned and operated by the Chinese Communist Party. Just delete your Reddit account.
    Er, what now?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mtriviso said:
    I believe Reddit is still majority owned by the parent company of Conde Nast, which is an American company.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Great to have an operating system which fights for the user rather an operating system which exploits the user’s cognitive limitation.

I haven’t looked at the new camera roll/Photo Library access yet but I hear that apps which wanted full, permanent access for that one-off pic (rather than using the one-off imagePicker class) are going to have a hard time. I wonder if it alerts the user to subsequent access attempts ‘outing’ the app’s true agenda.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    eriamjh said:
    bonobob said:
    Should we assume that the fix will only apply to iOS 14?  Will they conytnue to read the clipboard on earlier releases?
    Well, how will the earlier releases get blocked?   So, yes.  They will continue to snoop.  However, an app update that you run on iOS 12 or 13 won’t snoop, if it’s compatible.   

For example, I’m still running ios12 on my 7+.   I update apps all the time, but not the OS.   
    I’d say that very much depends on whether the snooping was accidental or intentional.  Apple hardly have OS adoption issues so should roll these out to 13 & 12 as security updates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    donjuan said:
    Chinese spies 
    I suspect most of the privacy abuse comes from Capitalism not Communism.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 29 of 30
    chasm said:
    Even if I buy LinkedIn/Reddit’s similar “bugs” and claims that they weren’t collecting the information — which I don’t — this just seems like such a major potential vector for stealing potentially valuable/identifiable information that while iOS 14 makes users more aware of it, Apple should really consider at least hashing clipboard contents until pasted. I occasionally have to copy-paste strong passwords from the Keychain or programs like 1Password when the auto fill function is confused by a site or app’s login layout (which happens more often than I’d like, but not that often).
    Good point. Perhaps the App Store should warn users of Apps with no/poor 1st party authentication implementation. I’m sick of having to log into a website to load Keychain so I can use the App with strong passwords.
  • Reply 30 of 30

command_f said:
    Call me old fashioned but this just seems unacceptably rude to me. It's a bit like you invite someone into your house to do a particular job and then, when you can't see, they rummage through your private documents that have nothing to do with the reason they are there. The same thought applies to those apps that, given access to Contacts for a particular address, read/copy all the others too. And 'this is how we make it free' is no excuse!

So well done Apple.
    You’re disrespecting Google’s business mantra there, why do you think they removed “don’t be evil” from their working practices documentation.
    watto_cobra