Tom Hanks disappointed with Apple TV+ 'Greyhound' release

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2020
The release of the Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound" on Apple TV instead of cinemas is an "absolute heartbreak" to the film star, an interview reveals, with Hanks also using the opportunity to poke fun at Apple's PR policies during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Tom Hanks (right) in 'Greyhound'
Tom Hanks (right) in 'Greyhound'

In the days before the July 10 premiere of "Greyhound" on Apple TV+, veteran actor Tom Hanks has to take on the usual gauntlet of interviews and public appearances expected of such a star. However, the movie's marketing is being tempered by the continuing coronavirus pandemic, which has impacted not only the interview, but the release of the movie and Hanks' life.

Originally intended for a theatrical release, Greyhound is instead being offered through the Apple-owned streaming service, due to COVID-19 social distancing measures closing theaters around the world. The move to the small screen for a production meant for theaters has led to disappointment for Hanks who refers to the change in plans as "an absolute heartbreak" in an interview with the Guardian.

"I don't mean to make angry my Apple overlords, but there is a difference in picture and sound quality," offers Hanks.

Apple reportedly picked up the movie from Sony Pictures for around $70 million in an auction handled by CAA Media Finance and FilmNation.

Shortly after, Hanks seemingly mocks Apple's public relations team about the interview, which had to be carried out via a video call. According to Hanks, "the cruel whipmasters at Apple" asked him to use a blank wall as a background, to prevent anyone from freely snooping Hanks' office instead of talking about the movie.

Hanks suggests he looks like he is in "a witness protection program, but here I am, bowing to the needs of Apple TV."

The release of Greyhound isn't the only thing in Hanks' life that has been harmed by COVID-19, as he was one of the high-profile celebrities to have been infected by the virus, along with his wife. In March, the pair were diagnosed with the virus and hospitalized for three days.

Set during World War II, Greyhound tells the story of Captain George Krause, a naval officer leading an international armada of ships on a mission to deliver troops and supplier to allied forces during the Battle of the Atlantic. On the way, Krause has to battle personal demons and self-doubts to become an effective leader of the Navy destroyer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    It seems it isn’t so much that he is disappointed with the release being on TV+, specifically, and more that he is disappointed it is not a theatrical release. 

I tend to not watch trailers, as they seem to take away from the enjoyment of a movie when it is actually seen, and I haven’t seen the trailer for this movie. I’m looking forward to July 10 as I usually like Tom Hanks’ choice of roles. 
    StrangeDaysnewBelievergregoriusmScot1doozydozenrandominternetpersonwilliamhjony0
  • Reply 2 of 80
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    Looking forward to watching this movie in the safety of my home. No masks, no social distancing worries.
    ne1elijahgStrangeDaysradarthekatronnhcrefugeeScot1dewmedoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 3 of 80
    trashman69trashman69 Posts: 161member
    He’s gutted because he knows Apple TV+ Only has 5 paying subscribers. (And one of those is Cook)
    mtrivisone1fred1chemengin1calisurfboyentropysrossb2mike54
  • Reply 4 of 80
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    This is the reason, AppleTV has to stay away from mega-stars like Oprah, Hanks, Spielberg et. al. and to more hungry younger artists who are more dynamic and have vision like Boots Riley.  It’s this generation where more compelling art happens anyway.
    mtrivisoflyingdpCheeseFreezepujones1hcrefugeedoozydozenanantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 5 of 80
    mtrivisomtriviso Posts: 21member
    Sigh. Just open the movie theaters. There's nothing like watching a movie in a massive IMAX 3D theater. If people are frightened they might get the rona, then just stay at home. Please, just let the rest of us who are unafraid enjoy what our acting troupes have to offer in the milieu to which we have become accustomed. 
    ne1razorpitibillbeowulfschmidtnewBelieverJapheycalisurfboymike54cat52
  • Reply 6 of 80
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    It sounds like Mr. Hanks needs to upgrade his home theater system. Streamed movies look great at my house, and in some ways it’s better than the theater experience, although I still enjoy going out to the movies in less virulent times. 
    flyingdpStrangeDaysmac_dogking editor the grateroundaboutnowhcrefugeedewmedoozydozentokyojimuliney
  • Reply 7 of 80
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    badmonk said:
    This is the reason, AppleTV has to stay away from mega-stars like Oprah, Hanks, Spielberg et. al. and to more hungry younger artists who are more dynamic and have vision like Boots Riley.  It’s this generation where more compelling art happens anyway.
    Amen. There’s enough streaming services out there that do this. I think though justifying a subscription fee becomes harder to the masses without tentpole content.
    doozydozenentropysanantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 80
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    mtriviso said:
    Sigh. Just open the movie theaters. There's nothing like watching a movie in a massive IMAX 3D theater. If people are frightened they might get the rona, then just stay at home. Please, just let the rest of us who are unafraid enjoy what our acting troupes have to offer in the milieu to which we have become accustomed. 
    Frightened? Maybe informed. My grandparents and parents were WWI and WWII generations. And I'm a boomer pre-vaccine and pre-antibiotics. We know disease and pandemics first hand. 

In reviewing census data for genealogy I would run across families asked how many children did you have? 14. How many still living? 4. My grandparents lost young siblings  and cousins to disease. STDs were a big problem among girls and guys in uniform stateside during WWII -- my mother's job was to help treat them. So was TB -- sanitariums built across the nation to confine them. Nobody thought it was bravery to not care if you came down with these diseases. Certainly, there was sympathy sometimes, but getting sick and not pulling your weight was morally reprehensible. 

Being brave by ignoring a disease. My father's WWII diary mentions some other GI's getting sick -- great way to stay behind for some R&R while others did the fighting for you. Malingering was a problem and pissed off others pulling their weight. 

And I had the pleasure of contracting polio during the 50's epidemic. It was no fun. 

So, coming down with Covid-19 when you are fortunate enough to be able to take precautions is really morally reprehensible -- not willing to pull your weight. 
    fred1Rayz2016tmayadbeelijahgforegoneconclusionlkruppStrangeDaysneilmgregalexander
  • Reply 9 of 80
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    That’s some unexpected complaining from Hanks. Are studios suppose to postpone every movie simply to wait until the pandemic is over and people are ready to go to movie theaters again?

And this pandemic could be the end of the movie theater as we know it. If it had happens 20 years ago movie theaters would definitely recover since in-home streaming services were effectively nonexistent and we didn’t have large, high-quality, 4K sets with great audio quality on the cheap.

In 2020 the desire for theatrical releases on the large screen of a theater with amazing sound still exists, but the draw simply isn’t as profound as it once was (except for certain movie goers and certain films). It’s possible that some theaters chains will go under and many cineplexes could close indefinitely. 
    StrangeDayselijahgmontrosemacshcrefugee
  • Reply 10 of 80
    muaddibmuaddib Posts: 81member
    Until there is a vaccine the studios will not release a major movie in the theaters, because not enough people are willing risk going to see them, plus theaters must reduce capacity by 50%.  The question is can theaters financially survive long enough for the vaccine distribution.  AMC has already declared bankruptcy to reorganize.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 80
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    mtriviso said:
    Yeah because watching movies at cinemas is such an essential pass-time that you'll die without it. It's not all about you, it's about protection of others. Considering the US's current trajectory, it's unlikely there will be much more easing of lockdown.
    XedforegoneconclusionmacxpressStrangeDaystmaystevemebsdjames4242roundaboutnowcharlesatlasmontrosemacs
  • Reply 12 of 80
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    mtriviso said:
    It’s not about being afraid. It’s about not knowing you’re shedding virus and getting other people sick inadvertently. Or picking it up from someone else doing the same. And then not quarantining for two weeks and giving it to someone else, perhaps someone you care about. 

The theaters are open here with reduced capacity, but no way I’m going to breath indoors shared air just to watch a movie. 
    edited July 2020 tmaystevemebsdjames4242AppleSince1976roundaboutnowmontrosemacsronnGeorgeBMachcrefugeeOfer
  • Reply 13 of 80
    larryjw said:
    mtriviso said:
    Frightened? Maybe informed. My grandparents and parents were WWI and WWII generations. And I'm a boomer pre-vaccine and pre-antibiotics. We know disease and pandemics first hand. 

In reviewing census data for genealogy I would run across families asked how many children did you have? 14. How many still living? 4. My grandparents lost young siblings  and cousins to disease. STDs were a big problem among girls and guys in uniform stateside during WWII -- my mother's job was to help treat them. So was TB -- sanitariums built across the nation to confine them. Nobody thought it was bravery to not care if you came down with these diseases. Certainly, there was sympathy sometimes, but getting sick and not pulling your weight was morally reprehensible. 

Being brave by ignoring a disease. My father's WWII diary mentions some other GI's getting sick -- great way to stay behind for some R&R while others did the fighting for you. Malingering was a problem and pissed off others pulling their weight. 

And I had the pleasure of contracting polio during the 50's epidemic. It was no fun. 

So, coming down with Covid-19 when you are fortunate enough to be able to take precautions is really morally reprehensible -- not willing to pull your weight. 
    We’ve done such a great job of removing those health care issues that too many people (even many that lived through it) don’t believe they are real issues.

This video explains very well how antivaxers think, which also covers a lot of the poor judgment with this pandemic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzxr9FeZf1g
    elijahgronn
  • Reply 14 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    mtriviso said:

The Cinemark theatre at Universal Orlando CityWalk just opened at limited capacity with theater deep cleanings between movies and social distancing. Me, I'd rather sit at home and watch a movie than waste money on an overpriced ticket, and any food/beverage you would like. Also avoids others in the theater as well. My sound system is just fine for watching a movie. I don't 50,000 watts of sound to make a movie good.
    edited July 2020 StrangeDayselijahgmontrosemacsronnGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 80
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Odd that he’s complaining about press junket rules. It’s part of the jobs and stars routinely do these for every big release. There are always rules (ex hype it, don’t trash your colleagues), so what if there are some new ones for teleconference interviews due to covid?
    doozydozenrandominternetperson
  • Reply 16 of 80
    macxpress said:
    mtriviso said:

The Cinemark theatre at Universal Orlando CityWalk just opened at limited capacity with theater deep cleanings between movies and social distancing. Me, I'd rather sit at home and watch a movie than waste money on an overpriced ticket, and any food/beverage you would like. Also avoids others in the theater as well. My sound system is just fine for watching a movie. I don't 50,000 watts of sound to make a movie good.
    With the update coming to AirPods Pro (as noted at WWDC) the audio experience may get very good on the cheap with an Apple TV connected.
    stevemebselijahgmacxpresshcrefugee
  • Reply 17 of 80
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Our state has averaged 1 community infection a day for the last week or two. The movie cinemas are open (with distancing) ... it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have some new release movies on offer instead of classics and repeats from Feb/March. 
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Apple could fix the quality issue by allowing users to pre-download (cache) the full quality movie to their devices before watching it. This is something that none of the streaming services provide. It is likely a dumb licensing restriction. Content owners want the streaming quality to be reduced so that they can sell a higher quality digital master version of the movie (a guess). Never mind that many (most?) customers have bandwidth limits or restrictions that make it impossible to even get the best streaming quality and have to put up with freezes, stutters or super blurry video at random intervals. Hanks is absolutely correct that the quality of his film has been reduced. He is being rather kind in not saying just how much it has been reduced.
    ronn
  • Reply 19 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It seems it isn’t so much that he is disappointed with the release being on TV+, specifically, and more that he is disappointed it is not a theatrical release. 

I tend to not watch trailers, as they seem to take away from the enjoyment of a movie when it is actually seen, and I haven’t seen the trailer for this movie. I’m looking forward to July 10 as I usually like Tom Hanks’ choice of roles. 
    I believe he’s disappointed with no theatrical because it prevents his film from being considered for the Oscars.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Our state has averaged 1 community infection a day for the last week or two. The movie cinemas are open (with distancing) ... it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have some new release movies on offer instead of classics and repeats from Feb/March. 
    I'm curious as to which state you live in. I'd guess the Intermountain West, but one community infection a day for two weeks would be something that I'd expect from New Zealand, or Taiwan, not from a state in the U.S.

https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/1-new-case-covid-19-4

and making films again;

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/new-zealand-gives-lotr-cowboy-bebop-go-ahead-for-production.html
    edited July 2020 montrosemacs