Apple Music's 'Africa Rising' program highlights emerging African artists

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Music this week launched a new artist discovery initiative and accompanying playlist that will highlight artists and musicians from Africa.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

As part of the "Africa Rising" program, the Apple Music editorial team will select an artist from the continent to highlight every two months. A companion playlist will also feature songs from some of Africa's newest emerging artists.

Apple Music's first spotlight pick is Nigeria-based Omah Lay, known for his afro-fusion debut album "Get Layd."

"I have always used Apple Music, seeing my favorite artists on playlist covers and features, but here I am looking pretty as Apple Music's first Africa Rising artist. I am overwhelmed, dreams really do come true," Lay said in a statement.

Other artists on the playlist include Rema, Fireboy DML, Terri and Sha Sha, among others.

The launch of the playlist and program follows on the heels of the debut of Africa-focused Beats 1 radio show, "Africa Now Radio with Cuppy."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Nice to see Apple merge the world together as it should be. Popular music is dominated by the U.S.A. and the U.K.

I wanna Get Layd!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Sounds like the kind of cultural injection we all need!

/s 
    joefrank
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mcdave said:

/s 
    Do you often go out of your way to publicly display your vapid cultural superiority and racist tone deafness?
    /s
    Ofer[Deleted User]Rayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 9
    joefrankjoefrank Posts: 19member
    mcdave said:

/s 
    Do you often go out of your way to publicly display your vapid cultural superiority and racist tone deafness?
    /s
    The idea that the music might be awful instead of him being racist didn't cross your mind I guess. 
    urahara
  • Reply 5 of 9
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    joefrank said:
    mcdave said:

/s 
    /s
    The idea that the music might be awful instead of him being racist didn't cross your mind I guess. 
    Yep, it is like Turkish Musik for me. I just don’t like it. I don’t  want to hear it. But some/many people especially Turks like it (otherwise I wouldn’t exposed to it :))
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 6 of 9
    urahara said:
    joefrank said:
    mcdave said:

/s 
    /s
    Yep, it is like Turkish Musik for me. I just don’t like it. I don’t  want to hear it. But some/many people especially Turks like it (otherwise I wouldn’t exposed to it :))
    It's a completely disingenuous to compare Africa and Turkey. Africa is a continent that consist of 54 countries and 1.3 billion people. Turkey is a country that consists of 83 million. Turkey has variety of musical styles but is downright homogeneous compared to Africa. 
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Beats said:
    Nice to see Apple merge the world together as it should be. Popular music is dominated by the U.S.A. and the U.K.

I wanna Get Layd!
    Yes, I reckon I’ll dip into this. 

Might not like it, but I’ll give it a go. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

joefrank said:
    mcdave said:

/s 
    /s
    Except he didn’t mention the music, he said “cultural injection” which goes beyond the music.