27-inch iMac teardown shows lack of storage upgrade options

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,250member
    Why? WHY. 
    If I opt for a desktop computer, I at least want to replace my screen, memory and storage. GPU I get that this is not replaceable for this form factor and the fact it is so tightly integrated with the overall CPU & logic board specs. That is fair. 

As it stands today, iMac is not an environmental friendly product, whatever their own rating say. Our office has dozens of broken iMacs in storage due to trivial issues. Not just “Energy Star” matters. I want to maintain my purchased machine!

I truly hope Apple will provide a redesigned form factor coinciding with Apple Silicon that goes beyond removing ‘the chin’ and is actually environmentally friendly from the ground up.

Such as:

- an iMac equivalent of the Mac Pro modularity within reason.
    - standard replaceable components for SSD and memory. If not, a faulty component leads to throwing away the entire product.
    - screen detachable from the computer unit, e.g hosting the computer under the monitor or replaceable as the back part of the monitor. A beautiful matte option 5K screen should still be usable when the computer dies. If not, it’s wasting components.
    GeorgeBMacdarkvader
  • Reply 42 of 93
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,250member
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:
    I just wish this came out 2 days earlier before I placed my order.  This is a deal breaker for me. Tomorrow Apple will get a call to cancel my $4,000 computer, they just lost my money. Is there any one who knows for certain that the 4TB ssd model includes the expansion connector?  Or would it be just the 8TB model?  

I would really hate to switch to a Dell, but I will and do vote with my money. I know apple doesn't care they have so much money they can't even count it all. 

I did switch to Dell because of this (laptop that is). I feel secure as I have a cloned SSD on the ready that can be installed within 10min and a HD with backup files.

Apple making the SSD unreplacable is not because security. That is rubbish - apart from the extremely small user base who cares about and needs this level of security. The average user certainly doesn't this level of security. What another reason? Oh, socket are less reliable. I've been using computers for over 35 years and yet to experience a failed socketed storage - another BS reason. The motive is solely a business decision - either during manufacturing, at point of purchase, costly repair or unit replacement.
    Again, most people will never upgrade their machines after purchase.  We are in the minority and discussing it on a tech blog makes it sound bigger than it really is.  

Apple will not miss you, or your money.  

I suspect the new ARM macs will be even worse in terms of upgradability, if even possible... and most will not care.
    This is not about upgradability. Yes, I think it’s safe to assume without you or me having the data, that people stick with the specs they opted for at initial purchase. 

It’s really more about offering a product where you can replace faulty components, avoid the excessive costs Apple asks for memory and storage (Which is a lame move towards their customers considering the fact their business model lies elsewhere, such as the app stores and services), and overall offer an environmental friendly machine that people don’t discard when one simple component dies.
    Apple is clearly working against reasonable repair options. By soldering everything for no reason, they make a statement and try to make 300-500% profit on standard components you can buy elsewhere and it’s a big middle finger to the environment and consumer.
    entropyselijahgAI_lias
  • Reply 43 of 93
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macxpress said:
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:
    I just wish this came out 2 days earlier before I placed my order.  This is a deal breaker for me. Tomorrow Apple will get a call to cancel my $4,000 computer, they just lost my money. Is there any one who knows for certain that the 4TB ssd model includes the expansion connector?  Or would it be just the 8TB model?  

I would really hate to switch to a Dell, but I will and do vote with my money. I know apple doesn't care they have so much money they can't even count it all. 

I did switch to Dell because of this (laptop that is). I feel secure as I have a cloned SSD on the ready that can be installed within 10min and a HD with backup files.

Apple making the SSD unreplacable is not because security. That is rubbish - apart from the extremely small user base who cares about and needs this level of security. The average user certainly doesn't this level of security. What another reason? Oh, socket are less reliable. I've been using computers for over 35 years and yet to experience a failed socketed storage - another BS reason. The motive is solely a business decision - either during manufacturing, at point of purchase, costly repair or unit replacement.
    Again, most people will never upgrade their machines after purchase.  We are in the minority and discussing it on a tech blog makes it sound bigger than it really is.  

I suspect the new ARM macs will be even worse in terms of upgradability, if even possible... and most will not care.

The problem is not that a casual user can't open up the machine and replace or upgrade a full or failed SSD, it's that NOBODY, including Apple can.   The alternative is to buy a new machine.  That's a win for Apple but not their user -- especially since that user gained zero benefit from it being soldered in the first place!

I'm sure Apple could replace the logicboard if necessary. They aren't gonna make a consumer buy a new iMac just because the logicboard has some sort of issue. Its just that, out of warranty will the end user want to pay for this? And again, how often does flash storage go bad? Especially flash storage directly soldered to the board.

Oh!  I get it!   Like the $700 keyboard on the MacBook!   Yeh, sure....   Replacing an entire mother board when the SSD fills up is a bit like replacing the engine when the spark plugs wear out.   But, what the hell!  It's only money!
    entropyselijahgAI_liasmuthuk_vanalingamdarkvader
  • Reply 44 of 93
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

This is not about upgradability. Yes, I think it’s safe to assume without you or me having the data, that people stick with the specs they opted for at initial purchase. 

It’s really more about offering a product where you can replace faulty components, avoid the excessive costs Apple asks for memory and storage (Which is a lame move towards their customers considering the fact their business model lies elsewhere, such as the app stores and services), and overall offer an environmental friendly machine that people don’t discard when one simple component dies.
    Apple is clearly working against reasonable repair options. By soldering everything for no reason, they make a statement and try to make 300-500% profit on standard components you can buy elsewhere and it’s a big middle finger to the environment and consumer.
    Actually, my bet is that they are working towards other priorities.
    At least for the moment, most all Mac hardware is almost entirely off the shelf components that anybody could throw together.  What sets them apart is their software and ecosystem.   So, by soldering the SSD in, it becomes that much harder for a person to get physical access to that software and ecosystem.

Perhaps the analogy is Steve Jobs using pentalope screws to secure his Macintosh to insure nobody but he and his people can get inside of it.

• Reply 45 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

It doesn’t matter.  Somewhere deep inside the hallways of Apple they decided it was better to just replace a unit than to repair it within the warranty period.  If one person out of a million gets has a problem, why engineer repair ability and just give them a new unit?  

Honestly, the only people raising a stink are folks in tech forums.  Most joe-users will not care.  Sad but true.
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 93
    rain22 said:
    The 2006-2012 Cheese graters were the best selling pro computers Apple ever released in the history of the company. So I guess that completely blows your entire argument out of the water.
    Good point!
    My cheese grater is the 2012 model and it is still going strong! 

Not all SSD's are perfect. The circuit goes through a soldered SSD on the new iMac 2020. If that SSD ever fails, you will need an electronic technician to re-solder a new SSD that will be proprietorship to Apple. If you bypass the SSD for the use of an external one, you will be changing the circuit that requires some one that must knows electronics. Good luck with the new iMac!

Oh by the way, a soldered SSD is like an ICU. If the SSD never fails, it will be a good thing for the circuit as it relates to speed and security.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 47 of 93
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

At least for the moment, most all Mac hardware is almost entirely off the shelf components that anybody could throw together.  What sets them apart is their software and ecosystem.   So, by soldering the SSD in, it becomes that much harder for a person to get physical access to that software and ecosystem.

Perhaps the analogy is Steve Jobs using pentalope screws to secure his Macintosh to insure nobody but he and his people can get inside of it.

Gazes in confusion at his apparently illusory pentalobe screwdriver kit.
    watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 48 of 93
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

It doesn’t matter.  Somewhere deep inside the hallways of Apple they decided it was better to just replace a unit than to repair it within the warranty period.  If one person out of a million gets has a problem, why engineer repair ability and just give them a new unit?  

Honestly, the only people raising a stink are folks in tech forums.  Most joe-users will not care.  Sad but true.
    Really eco-friendly that. Apple lauds itself on the eco front, when in fact their Macs are the least eco-friendly of all when it comes to repairs and replacements. My 2012 iMac's PSU became noisy a couple of months after I bought it Rather than replace the PSU Apple replaced the entire iMac, because "its such a ballache to get into them," according to the tech who swapped it. Costs Apple a fortune as well as being just generally ridiculous. And of course all of this is under the guise of being thin as if that's some necessity on desktops.
    CheeseFreezedarkvader
  • Reply 49 of 93
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

LOL.... when Steve started using Pentalope screws, your pentalope screwdriver kit was an illusion.   Nobody but Steve had ever heard of them or thought about using them.   They were there for on epurpose:   to keep you out of his machine.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ajl said:
    Another stupid choice from the think different verb preachers.

One should pay thousands for a machine that is supposed to last a lot years without any possibility of later upgrades?
    Well it isn't a perfect direction but it reflects what is happening with technology.   I really think people will be shocked at the integration Apple achieves in Apple Silicon.  The direction is more and more stuff in the SoC.   In this regard it only makes sense that Apple will continue to use integrated flash controllers to lower their cost and improve performance.

However that isn't really the problem, the problem is not giving users an option of an expansion slot (M.2).   Because in many cases the right solution to extended storage needs in an internal solution.   

Now what this move to soldered in storage will do is to make it even harder to place its computers in industry.   The reason is pretty simple, hard drives get swapped out all the time in industry.   There are many reasons why that might happen but viruses, corruption and failed Windows updates are high on the list.   Archiving or other legal obligations may require a swap out.   An IT department would never go with Apple due to the removal of a key support solution.

Now for your mainstream user I suspect what we will see is that the built in drives on Apples ARM Macs will be a performance plus.   

• Reply 51 of 93
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    aderutter said:
    ajl said:

One should pay thousands for a machine that is supposed to last a lot years without any possibility of later upgrades?
    One should spec an iMac machine to last. I always do and my non-upgraded Macs always last me at least 6 years.
    The whole point of an “all in one” is a nicer looking machine while sacrificing upgradeability that most of us don’t need.
    My 2014 iMac currently runs off a choice of external SSD drives so I can switch from High Sierra to Mojave to Catalina on a simple reboot.
    This allows me to use 32 bit apps when necessary, old versions of XCode for older enterprise apps built with older SDKs etc. all with one 6 year old iMac.

For most users the idea that you can fully specify a long term purchase up front is a joke.   Storage is a significant issue here as the users data needs expand and even apps explode in size. 

I've never have considered a desktop all in one to be a reasonable buy, so I guess we are on a completely different page.   However in many cases if somebody has hooked up an external drive then they have demonstrated the need to have internal storage options.   I might add that those external devices crap all over that nice looking all in one.
    GeorgeBMacdarkvader
  • Reply 52 of 93
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

LOL.... when Steve started using Pentalope screws, your pentalope screwdriver kit was an illusion.   Nobody but Steve had ever heard of them or thought about using them.   They were there for on epurpose:   to keep you out of his machine.
    Actually for tiny screws they actually work better than Phillips heads.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I wish I heard it from the horse's mouth, the justification for why Apple makes these decisions. An interview with an Apple exec that would ask these questions and get straight answers. It would make people feeing less like they're being ripped off when they buy Apple stuff. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 54 of 93
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    ajl said:

This horse has been beaten to pulp, or something akin to a blob shape. Since when people upgrade iMac aside from RAM? Besides, if you want more storage, plenty of external hard drive, USB C or RAID thunderbolt makes the speed concern obsolete. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 93
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ajl said:

Better get used to it.  SSD’s are getting soldered in laptops, even none Apple ones.  Apple is doing it for security.  SSD’s these days last the life of the machine, so there’s less incentive to make them removable.

Apple actually did customers a solid allowing for future processor and memory upgrades.

If you need more storage, buy it up front or plan on expanding with an external solution.  The speed of external drives (because of interface improvements) is right up there with internal drives.

This is whining to whine.   If this configuration is not right for you, get a Mac Pro.

It seems there’s not a lot stuff on the internet about this, but I did run across one article here:

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/11/15/do-you-need-a-replaceable-ssd/

The engineering reasons for Apple doing this include:

extremely high performance, in terms of read/write speeds;

low power consumption;

very low volume, allowing compact design.

Even if Apple were to mount these memory chips in sockets for ease of replacement, users would find it extremely hard to source compatible components. These aren’t the SSDs available from Amazon for a little over $/€/£ 100 per TB.

Their extreme performance comes from the fact that these soldered-in SSDs don’t use a regular controller chip: that’s one of the functions of the T2.
    Interesting that Apple socketed the processor and not the SSD. Does that mean that they expect that there’s a greater chance they’ll need to replace the processor than the SSD chips? My guess is that the processor socket is going to be kept when they change over to ASi. 

Folk seem to think that Apple replacing the whole logic board is not environmentally friendly, but of course they don’t know what Apple does with the old logic board, or even if they could do it if the logic board comes back to them with components replaced with bits picked up from Amazon’s bargain bin. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 93
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AI_lias said:
    I wish I heard it from the horse's mouth, the justification for why Apple makes these decisions. An interview with an Apple exec that would ask these questions and get straight answers. It would make people feeing less like they're being ripped off when they buy Apple stuff. 
    Apple could spend the time and effort to explain it, but in the end it would just generate more blog posts on why they’re just plain lying. If folk have already made their decision that Apple is ripping them off then the choice for them is simple: they shouldn’t buy Apple kit. No one’s forcing them to. 
    edited August 2020 Xedmacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 93
    wizard69 said:
    aderutter said:
    ajl said:

One should spec an iMac machine to last. I always do and my non-upgraded Macs always last me at least 6 years.
    The whole point of an “all in one” is a nicer looking machine while sacrificing upgradeability that most of us don’t need.
    My 2014 iMac currently runs off a choice of external SSD drives so I can switch from High Sierra to Mojave to Catalina on a simple reboot.
    This allows me to use 32 bit apps when necessary, old versions of XCode for older enterprise apps built with older SDKs etc. all with one 6 year old iMac.

For most users the idea that you can fully specify a long term purchase up front is a joke.   Storage is a significant issue here as the users data needs expand and even apps explode in size. 

I've never have considered a desktop all in one to be a reasonable buy, so I guess we are on a completely different page.   However in many cases if somebody has hooked up an external drive then they have demonstrated the need to have internal storage options.   I might add that those external devices crap all over that nice looking all in one.

My Lenovo Thinkpad has room for 2 SSDs and a harddrive.   I'm using one SSD and harddrive and haven't yet filled the mSata slot.   It's nice having internal back up so I don't have to worry about it as well as being able to upgrade when and if necessary.   And that's all in a laptop!  From a user standpoint I don't see any logic in failing to provide the same flexibility in a desktop.   But, as I said earlier, I suspect this has to do with Apple trying to lock everything down and being willing to inconvenience the user to do that.

And yes, I agree with you that an all in one is not a "smart" buy.   But that stems from my frugal, practical nature.   The iMacs are definitely easy on the eyeballs.
    edited August 2020 darkvader
  • Reply 58 of 93
    entropys said:
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    mike54 said:
    Joer293 said:

Actually for tiny screws they actually work better than Phillips heads.

Your point?   That is NOT the reason Steve originally used them!  
  • Reply 59 of 93
    kevin kee said:
    ajl said:

This horse has been beaten to pulp, or something akin to a blob shape. Since when people upgrade iMac aside from RAM? Besides, if you want more storage, plenty of external hard drive, USB C or RAID thunderbolt makes the speed concern obsolete. 
    To:  "One should pay thousands for a machine that is supposed to last a lot years without any possibility of later upgrades?"
    You respond:   "This horse has been beaten to pulp"

The truth is that it keeps getting asked but it has yet to be answered
    That "people don't do that" is an excuse, not an answer
    And, "just add an external drive" -- then why buy an al in one if you're cluttering things up with ugly wires and ugly external harddrives?   That's another silly excuse.

• Reply 60 of 93
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Apple could spend the time and effort to explain it, but in the end it would just generate more blog posts on why they’re just plain lying. If folk have already made their decision that Apple is ripping them off then the choice for them is simple: they shouldn’t buy Apple kit. No one’s forcing them to. 

I think it's clear that folks do feel that Apple is ripping them off:  as I listed before it costs them in multiple ways.
    The trouble is:  they keep asking "why?" but there have not been any answers, just excuses.  The other part of the trouble is that they do not see any user benefit for this.  They can see it in a smart phone where space and weight are at a premium.  But, in an enormous desktop?
    muthuk_vanalingamdarkvader