Microsoft aims to replace your iPad and iPhone with new Surface Duo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    You can tell the Microsoft Duo is doomed. There's nothing Samsung would want to copy  :D
    jdb8167magman1979radarthekatrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    JWSC said:
    Why, why, why ... does anyone think a folding screen is a good idea?  I’m truly baffled.

Apple patented a foldable display. This is why all the knockoff manufacturers are crapping these out so fast.

They don't know why it's a good idea either.

This isn't as bad as Daniel Eran Dilger's demonstrably false yet never recanted "Android will fail and Google is going to go broke and Chromecast is a blatant inferior ripoff of AirPlay that will fail" columns from not long ago but still, don't put out nonsense like this that clearly lack a modicum of research.

1. No love lost for Microsoft, as they - along with Apple and Oracle - were among the cabal that tried to push Linux, open source databases and Android out of the marketplace during the last decade using a variety of legal and marketplace pressure tactics. But Microsoft makes it clear that this device is not a phone, is not a tablet and is not meant to compete with the iPhone, iPad or even any Android device. Instead, it is a companion device for their somewhat successful line of Surface 2-in-1s. Basically, if you already like and use their Surface devices at work or in your home/office, you will want this device because it will have the same sort of "ecosystem" benefits that iPads have with MacBooks. But if you are not a Surface user, you will have no need or want for this device. Yes, this device is expensive - but similar to Apple fans - Surface device owners are used to paying a premium instead of just getting Lenovo or Dell devices that offer the same form factor and superior performance/specs for hundreds less.

2. Instead of comparing this device with the Samsung Galaxy Fold - which is an entirely different one - someone who actually knows something about Android would compare them to LG phones. LG has been releasing dual screen devices for over a year ... the LG Thinq G7, the LG Thinq G8 and the LG Velvet. All of them have detachable 6.8' screens, much bigger than the Duo's 5.6' screens. All of them have the latest - meaning much faster - CPUs. They also have more RAM, and lack of RAM is a killer in Android devices with big screens (Google tried lower RAM devices with "software optimizations" for no reasons other than sheer arrogance for years before finally giving up and putting 6 GB of RAM in their Pixel 4A and the Pixel 5 will have 8 GB). Oh yes, and they all have 5G and NFC. A couple of mobile bloggers who are actually knowledgeable about Android - yes such creatures are rare outside Android enthusiast blogs themselves - flat out recommended buying the Thinq or Velvet (especially the Velvet) instead of this device.

3. Claiming the Z Fold has "bad software" is ignorant. Compared to what? Because here's the deal: Apple doesn't have a product in this category yet. As usual. It would have been dumb to call the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro back in 2012 "a device with bad software" because Apple didn't come out with their own "Pro" tablet device with true multitasking support, stylus support and keyboard/trackpad support until later. (Actually MUCH LATER as the iPad Pros were in name only initially with the multitasking and trackpad features not added to OS, turning iOS into iPadOS, for several years.) Similarly, Apple currently has no software to drive a true folding device. The only true folding devices in existence are the 2019 and 2020 Galaxy Fold devices as well as a competing Huawei device that Huawei was only able to manufacture a few thousand units of (but the few who have actually seen and used them say that they are outstanding). Here's the thing: people who have actually used the Galaxy Fold and Flip devices say that they are great, especially the second generation versions of each that were just released and didn't have the "first generation iPhone/first ever MacBook Air" roughness. Which means that - by default - the software on these devices are GREAT until something comes along that's BETTER. We will see a Pixel folding phone (that will probably be similar to the Surface Duo) and allegedly a folding iPhone (which will be more like the Galaxy Z Fold) next year. At that point you will be able to SUBJECTIVELY claim that the Z Fold has bad software. Till then there is no way to even SUBJECTIVELY make that claim because A) the Z Fold's software works great in that it does what it is supposed to do in operating the device and delivers a good experience in the process - a consensus opinion held by nearly everyone who has bought or reviewed the device and B) no product with "better" software exists.
    Wow, DED is going to have a field day rebutting all the BS you just spewed there...

That guy thinks Samsung invented the iPhone. He's not gonna listen.

I smell a lawsuit from Nintendo....

Nintendo does not like to sue. At the peak of the DS hype Samsung had plans for a knockoff DS. Surprised?...
    tobianmagman1979razorpitchiajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    The article forgot to mention that $1400 covers the minimum configuration of 128GB.  There's a 256, but I did not bother to look at that.  They seem to be aiming for lowest-common-denominator in terms of feature set, but the highest price bracket to attract Windows/Android snobs.

None of their renders seem to show a rear camera, but the tech specs say there's only one each, front and rear.  Sloppy marketing doesn't instill a lot of faith in the actual product.

I also idly wonder if they have learned anything about reliability since the Surface Pro.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 268member
    igorsky said:
    Microsoft just created their next Zune.  Well done.
    Does it come in brown?
    wookie01right_said_fredchiaradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 50
    bluefire1 said:
    I would definitely keep my iPad Pro, but when I’m out of the office or not home, the dual screen option would be a compelling device.
    Isn’t that what split screen view is all about on the iPad? A WiFi Only iPad can accept phone calls from your phone and dial out stored phone numbers. This product from Microsoft is no competing with Apple.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 50
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,131member
    Don’t be so quick to dismiss this. Steve Jobs didn’t think the larger size iPhones would sell and said that “no one is going to make a call by holding a piece of toast against his head.”  And yet . . .
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If this were an Apple announcement for a new iOS product most of us here would have already placed our pre-orders.  I know I'd be seriously considering it even at a very steep $1399.

But I don't want a Office 365/Android device outside of the Apple ecosystem, so I'll pass.  I'm sure they will sell quite a few of them and our nerd friends will be showing them off if we ever see them again in person.
    If it was an Apple announcement, I’d be selling all my stock. Foldable screens are not there yet and they may never be.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    omasouomasou Posts: 615member
    @SpamSandwich you posted my initial thought for a response.

@MacPro you posted my next thought for a response.

MS you failed attempting to create one half baked OS for all devices.

Now you want to sell one half baked device for all uses. It's too heavy and big for a phone and too small for a functioning tablet but keep trying you may get something to stick.

edited August 2020 SpamSandwichmagman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 50
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    This isn't as bad as Daniel Eran Dilger's demonstrably false yet never recanted "Android will fail and Google is going to go broke and Chromecast is a blatant inferior ripoff of AirPlay that will fail" columns from not long ago but still, don't put out nonsense like this that clearly lack a modicum of research.

1. No love lost for Microsoft, as they - along with Apple and Oracle - were among the cabal that tried to push Linux, open source databases and Android out of the marketplace during the last decade using a variety of legal and marketplace pressure tactics. But Microsoft makes it clear that this device is not a phone, is not a tablet and is not meant to compete with the iPhone, iPad or even any Android device. Instead, it is a companion device for their somewhat successful line of Surface 2-in-1s. Basically, if you already like and use their Surface devices at work or in your home/office, you will want this device because it will have the same sort of "ecosystem" benefits that iPads have with MacBooks. But if you are not a Surface user, you will have no need or want for this device. Yes, this device is expensive - but similar to Apple fans - Surface device owners are used to paying a premium instead of just getting Lenovo or Dell devices that offer the same form factor and superior performance/specs for hundreds less.

2. Instead of comparing this device with the Samsung Galaxy Fold - which is an entirely different one - someone who actually knows something about Android would compare them to LG phones. LG has been releasing dual screen devices for over a year ... the LG Thinq G7, the LG Thinq G8 and the LG Velvet. All of them have detachable 6.8' screens, much bigger than the Duo's 5.6' screens. All of them have the latest - meaning much faster - CPUs. They also have more RAM, and lack of RAM is a killer in Android devices with big screens (Google tried lower RAM devices with "software optimizations" for no reasons other than sheer arrogance for years before finally giving up and putting 6 GB of RAM in their Pixel 4A and the Pixel 5 will have 8 GB). Oh yes, and they all have 5G and NFC. A couple of mobile bloggers who are actually knowledgeable about Android - yes such creatures are rare outside Android enthusiast blogs themselves - flat out recommended buying the Thinq or Velvet (especially the Velvet) instead of this device.

3. Claiming the Z Fold has "bad software" is ignorant. Compared to what? Because here's the deal: Apple doesn't have a product in this category yet. As usual. It would have been dumb to call the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro back in 2012 "a device with bad software" because Apple didn't come out with their own "Pro" tablet device with true multitasking support, stylus support and keyboard/trackpad support until later. (Actually MUCH LATER as the iPad Pros were in name only initially with the multitasking and trackpad features not added to OS, turning iOS into iPadOS, for several years.) Similarly, Apple currently has no software to drive a true folding device. The only true folding devices in existence are the 2019 and 2020 Galaxy Fold devices as well as a competing Huawei device that Huawei was only able to manufacture a few thousand units of (but the few who have actually seen and used them say that they are outstanding). Here's the thing: people who have actually used the Galaxy Fold and Flip devices say that they are great, especially the second generation versions of each that were just released and didn't have the "first generation iPhone/first ever MacBook Air" roughness. Which means that - by default - the software on these devices are GREAT until something comes along that's BETTER. We will see a Pixel folding phone (that will probably be similar to the Surface Duo) and allegedly a folding iPhone (which will be more like the Galaxy Z Fold) next year. At that point you will be able to SUBJECTIVELY claim that the Z Fold has bad software. Till then there is no way to even SUBJECTIVELY make that claim because A) the Z Fold's software works great in that it does what it is supposed to do in operating the device and delivers a good experience in the process - a consensus opinion held by nearly everyone who has bought or reviewed the device and B) no product with "better" software exists.
    Dude, do you get paid by the word?
    pscooter63Beatsmagman1979razorpitchiaroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamtmayradarthekaturahara
  • Reply 30 of 50
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    It is nor fish, nor crab. Stive Jobs would say: “Death before born”
    magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 50
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    If this were an Apple announcement for a new iOS product most of us here would have already placed our pre-orders.  I know I'd be seriously considering it even at a very steep $1399.

But I don't want a Office 365/Android device outside of the Apple ecosystem, so I'll pass.  I'm sure they will sell quite a few of them and our nerd friends will be showing them off if we ever see them again in person.
    If it was an Apple announcement, I’d be selling all my stock. Foldable screens are not there yet and they may never be.

No you wouldn't because Apple wouldn't ship this junk. Apple would release something truly revolutionary.

I'm almost betting that Apple's patented foldable display is neither an iPhone nor an iPad but a new product category. These idiots are running in circles around the wrong product.

ALSO a Microsoft product running Android?!?!

BWAHAHAHAHA

magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 50
    anomeanome Posts: 1,545member
    I'm going to wait for the Surface Trio. Three blades screens are better than two. 
    I'm holding out for the Surface Hexaflexagon.
    radarthekatTRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 436member
    When looking at this, I think people need to think: two displays are better than one. Like when you saw people starting to use two monitors and how much more efficient that was. Same thing here: looking at something while video conferencing, etc. or also keyboard on one, content on the other. Honestly, I think even Microsoft is not sure whether it will fly, but it sounds interesting. I wish them good luck. There's not much else you could try in this space, that hasn't been done.
    laytechjdb8167
  • Reply 34 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,276member
    KITA said:
    It's a niche device with a high price. It's not for me, but I could see the appeal in enterprise.

Surface Duo with Surface Slim Pen

The form factor and stylus compatibility is interesting though.

I'm sure most people will just compare it to a smartphone though and miss the fact that this is a mobile device designed for productivity in most aspects.
    Better if it was a windows device then. Because this runs android phone apps. an iPad would be a superior productivity solution to this. 

The only thing that would give it a run is if MS includes services software that offers superior corporate IT solutions to iPads and other devices. Otherwise why bother with it? Because these are not a device you get instead of a phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    laytechlaytech Posts: 341member
    There is something appealing about it but and there is a use for it but I think the two screens would become clunky and awkward. I certainly would never use it vertical as I would really hate the split screen in the middle of my image. In fairness there is some neat integration with the software. It will sell, whether in large numbers I doubt at the price but it's no replacement to my phone / iPad and its no game changer in my personal opinion. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,699member
    I love gadgets but the use of Android makes this one a non-starter. Android tablets are just sad. If it ran Windows 10 I'd actually be far more intrigued. I'm sure somebody or two will like this.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 50
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 112member
    some more detailed info on this thing here
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3570156/microsoft-surface-duo-android-specs-features-display-price-release.html

The Surface Slim Pen, which seems central to the experience, costs extra and can't be stored on the device. The Duo also doesn’t support 5G, Wi-Fi 6, nor will it have an NFC chip for contactless payments.”

and no external display at all for notification/call display, and no wireless charging.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    Yep. I can see everyone selling their iPhones and iPads and replacing them with this as soon as it releases. 

Yep. 

This thing will be DoA and a massive failure. At best a curiosity and an extreme niche product. IMO its the worst of all worlds. Not pocketable enough or useable with 1 hand, and not large enough for any kind of real productivity or creative work. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,139member

If this were an Apple announcement for a new iOS product most of us here would be checking to make sure we didn’t mistakenly visit https://www.theonion.com/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50

<snip>
    Google tried lower RAM devices with "software optimizations" for no reasons other than sheer arrogance
    <snip>
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but more RAM = greater power consumption and one of the enduring advantages of iOS is that it operates very well on devices with less RAM than is shipped in devices running Android.
    jdb8167watto_cobra