White House set to entirely ban TikTok from App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Forcing removal of apps from the US App Store is up to the US administration if they have cause. Forcing removal of apps from other countries is outside of their jurisdiction and I hope Apple fights it. Other countries have the right to determine what goes into or stays out of their App Store. 
    edited August 2020 GeorgeBMacjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 77
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 774member
    avon b7 said:
    svanstrom said:
    avon b7 said:
    I can't see this as anything other than an abuse of government powers.

It used to be that sovereign nations were aware of limitations on the sale of US products to third parties before purchase.

I think that's a reasonable approach to applying restrictions but changing the rules at short notice for doubtful reasons and in the concealed name of protectionism but claiming national security concerns AFTER the sale, well that can only end badly because countries and companies will only see the US as an unreliable entity willing to do anything to get its way. In that scenario, the US will find itself in isolation as the world shuns its products. 

We've seen this with Huawei and now with Tik Tok. If WeChat is affected too, it won't be long before Tim Cook is dining at the White House to try and drive a message into Trump's head. 
    Get off that pedestal on that horse of yours; even the worst of what that racist orange might do is still less than what Winnie Xi has been doing all the time with that great firewall of his.

People can't react before they react, so any argument of yours along the lines of "but it was ok yesterday" is pretty much null and moot.

However, the US has now moved to an extraterritorial mode and is attempting to apply 'sanctions' on its opponents by restricting what companies in sovereign nations can do with their products, simply because even a small part of them use US technology.

Take a look at China's new HK security law.  Specifically if you make anti-China comments related to Hong Kong anywhere in the world, you can be arrested for them in Hong Kong. Then we can get into Tibet, Taiwan and the South China Sea as well, if you like.  Let's not go comparing each nation's "extraterritorial mode".
    edited August 2020 cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Anilu_777 said:
    Forcing removal of apps from the US App Store is up to the US administration if they have cause. Forcing removal of apps from other countries is outside of their jurisdiction and I hope Apple fights it. Other countries have the right to determine what goes into or stays out of their App Store. 
    Simply put: Apple itself is not outside of their jurisdiction.
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 77
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:

It used to be that sovereign nations were aware of limitations on the sale of US products to third parties before purchase.

I think that's a reasonable approach to applying restrictions but changing the rules at short notice for doubtful reasons and in the concealed name of protectionism but claiming national security concerns AFTER the sale, well that can only end badly because countries and companies will only see the US as an unreliable entity willing to do anything to get its way. In that scenario, the US will find itself in isolation as the world shuns its products. 

We've seen this with Huawei and now with Tik Tok. If WeChat is affected too, it won't be long before Tim Cook is dining at the White House to try and drive a message into Trump's head. 

iKnockoff agenda behind this post.

Go China down with the USA!!
    /s
    razorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 77
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    ByteDance is a propaganda machine for the Chinese Govt and everything going on in Xinjiang - are people so blinded by their dislike of Trump that .....

Are you so blinded by Trump's hate of China?
    Are you aware of China's hatred of the US that goes back before Trump's presidency? The US isn't the only country looking to ban TikTok as well... get off your anti-Trump soapbox and open your eyes to ByteDance being a contributor to mass-murders. The idea that this company is being defended baffles me - this ban should happen regardless of who's in office. It would be absurd if Biden wins in November and removes any potential ban that would be in place.

Does Trump have any more evidence for that nonsense than he had for his Huawei nonsense?
    So the genocide in Xinjiang is nonsense? Even the Washington Post acknowledges it and calls out both BtyeDance and Huawei as contributors to the censoring and monitoring of Uighur Muslims on behalf of the Chinese Govt...
    razorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 77
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    ByteDance is a propaganda machine for the Chinese Govt and everything going on in Xinjiang - are people so blinded by their dislike of Trump that .....

Are you aware of China's hatred of the US that goes back before Trump's presidency? The US isn't the only country looking to ban TikTok as well... get off your anti-Trump soapbox and open your eyes to ByteDance being a contributor to mass-murders. The idea that this company is being defended baffles me - this ban should happen regardless of who's in office. It would be absurd if Biden wins in November and removes any potential ban that would be in place.

Does Trump have any more evidence for that nonsense than he had for his Huawei nonsense?
    So the genocide in Xinjiang is nonsense? Even the Washington Post acknowledges it and calls out both BtyeDance and Huawei as contributors to the censoring and monitoring of Uighur Muslims on behalf of the Chinese Govt...
    This is not about genocide and how terrible the Chinese government is...

The toddler-in-chief doesn’t care about humanitarian reasons so let’s tell the truth...

This is about how Tik-Tok users destroyed his “MAGA” rally in OK and like a kid wants to be vindictive and prevent it from happening again before elections. 
    GeorgeBMacmanfred zornmuthuk_vanalingamjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple_Bar said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

The toddler-in-chief doesn’t care about humanitarian reasons so let’s tell the truth...

This is about how Tik-Tok users destroyed his “MAGA” rally in OK and like a kid wants to be vindictive and prevent it from happening again before elections. 
    Admin:  So this is OK, but my political comments aren’t? This is clearly baiting commentary.
    edited August 2020 razorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 77
    OK, folks, this is where it hits Apple.

This Trump nonsense of sanctions, trade wars, and bravado will make Apple sales tank in China.

And probably, in any other country where TikTok and WeChat is popular.

Now if only Trump has a single proof of illegal behavior on ByteDance, which is funded by (among others) several American firms.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

This Trump nonsense of sanctions, trade wars, and bravado will make Apple sales tank in China.

Now if only Trump has a single proof of illegal behavior on ByteDance, which is funded by (among others) several American firms.
    No, it’s meaningless in the bigger picture. They are a Vine ripoff and they’ll be easily replaced.
    razorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 77
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Apple_Bar said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

I'm confused. So now it's ok if a foreign entity interferes in an election?
    svanstromcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Pascalxx said:
    Question: would the app ban apply to both iOS and Android in China? are there competing smartphone operating systems in China that could benefit from this?

The discussion of the Android app store in china is irrelevant, as it would be as pointless as banning the macOS application or windows executable. Almost all Chinese android phones have their own app store, and it's easily possible to install either any app store or app itself on the android platform without rooting or any complex technical knowledge. You can just go and download and install it from any site like this.

A ban from the play store would only affect those living in America, and even then they'd just get it from the link above.
    gatorguyPascalxx
  • Reply 32 of 77
    razorpit said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

Don’t be confused. It’s not ok for a “foreign entity” aka “tik-tok teenagers” to interfere with elections or anything else.

I hope our elections are more secure or at least have better security than Trump’s rally seat reservation system. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 77

No, it’s meaningless in the bigger picture. They are a Vine ripoff and they’ll be easily replaced.
    You have no idea of what WeChat is, right?

They will never buy a device without WeChat in China and God knows in how many other countries either.

Apple will be hit hard, and they will fight hard against the ban, you can quote me on it.

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    igorsky said:
    avon b7 said:
    svanstrom said:
    avon b7 said:

Get off that pedestal on that horse of yours; even the worst of what that racist orange might do is still less than what Winnie Xi has been doing all the time with that great firewall of his.

People can't react before they react, so any argument of yours along the lines of "but it was ok yesterday" is pretty much null and moot.

However, the US has now moved to an extraterritorial mode and is attempting to apply 'sanctions' on its opponents by restricting what companies in sovereign nations can do with their products, simply because even a small part of them use US technology.

Take a look at China's new HK security law.  Specifically if you make anti-China comments related to Hong Kong anywhere in the world, you can be arrested for them in Hong Kong. Then we can get into Tibet, Taiwan and the South China Sea as well, if you like.  Let's not go comparing each nation's "extraterritorial mode".

Whataboutism does not excuse undermining democracy.
  • Reply 35 of 77

This. I’m not Chinese and have been as big a fan of Apple As anyone. I own most of apples products and paid services such as iCloud and music. Even as I look at some of the newer android phones with some envy I don’t see myself switching because of how invested I’m with apples ecosystem. But if Apple removed WeChat which I use for work (with Chinese and many around the world), I will have to get myself an android phone. And I think that will be the beginning of a move away from Apple. 
    edited August 2020 manfred zorn
  • Reply 36 of 77
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

Yeh,  at least the fake outrage to distract from the kids in cages, 160,000+ dead Americans and the gassing of peaceful protestors here -- as well as our president not only colluding with but soliciting foreign interference in our elections.   Yeh, "fake" pretty well describes it.
    jony0
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Apple_Bar said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

Admin:  So this is OK, but my political comments aren’t? This is clearly baiting commentary.

LOL.... It's not "baiting".   It's just true and accurate!
    jony0
  • Reply 38 of 77
    razorpit said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

To Trump it's OK.  Not only OK, but as Mueller pointed out, he encouraged it and supported it.   Later, he solicited it from other countries  as well.

But real Americans think it's an outrage.   Unfortunately, they are helpless to stop it.
    Xedjony0
  • Reply 39 of 77

You have no idea of what WeChat is, right?

They will never buy a device without WeChat in China and God knows in how many other countries either.

Apple will be hit hard, and they will fight hard against the ban, you can quote me on it.

The Vine reference applies to TikTok, genius.
    cat52razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Apple_Bar said:
    razorpit said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:

Don’t be confused. It’s not ok for a “foreign entity” aka “tik-tok teenagers” to interfere with elections or anything else.

I hope our elections are more secure or at least have better security than Trump’s rally seat reservation system. 

Good point!   But it must be highlighted that:

Those were American teenagers.
    And, they didn't interfere in ANY elections.   They simply made a fool of Trump, they humiliated him:  He bragged for weeks that he had tens of thousands coming to cheer him on in Tulsa.   But, like his inaruguration, not many showed up.   The American Teenagers on TikTok conned the Conman! 

So, Trump is looking to shut down TikTok so that those AMERICAN TEENAGERS can't humiliate him again.   It's how he thinks.  It's how he works.
    Democracy means nothing to Trump.   Like with Hitler, it's just a means to the end.  He doesn't respect it.   He uses it

From the BBC:
    "Why Trump dislikes TikTok

Analysis by James Clayton, BBC North America technology correspondent

Trump's dislike of TikTok goes further than just privacy concerns.

In India TikTok was banned after a border skirmish with China - it was caught up in a geopolitical feud. And that's what's happened here, too. Trump's sights are set firmly on China - and this should be seen through that lens.

TikTok says that it doesn't keep any data in China and would never give it to China.

But, in many ways it doesn't matter what they say, the fact that they are owned by a Chinese's company is guilt enough.

Not to be overlooked either is Trump's previous experience with TikTok.

Last month users claimed to have scuppered his Tulsa rally after signing up to tickets they had no intention of using.

And although there are Republican and conservative voices on TikTok, the profile of users in the US is generally young and liberal/left.

It's hard to believe that's not a factor here."

edited August 2020 muthuk_vanalingam